Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just headbutted Enda

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

...or rather his poster anyway. Has anyone else noticed political posters encroaching into cycle lanes?

Fine Gael seem to have posters at bicycle height along Lord Edward St and the top of Dame Street... not sure if they're particularly stupid, or their posters were loose, or sabotaged, but Enda Kenny just lost my vote...*

* assuming he ever had a chance in the first place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Hope you were wearing a helmet. I wear one even when they call to my door.
    milod wrote:
    ...or rather his poster anyway. Has anyone else noticed political posters encroaching into cycle lanes?

Fine Gael seem to have posters at bicycle height along Lord Edward St and the top of Dame Street... not sure if they're particularly stupid, or their posters were loose, or sabotaged, but Enda Kenny just lost my vote...*

* assuming he ever had a chance in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Chris Andrews (his poster) nearly knocked me off my bike last night coming onto Milltown Road from Eglington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kerrynoel

ya, i threw a punch at Bertie Ahern on the way home from work in cork yesterday evening. It was well out on the cycle path near traffic caming islands

Shows how much good the traffic-calming is doing...
    Kerrynoel wrote:
    ya, i threw a punch at Bertie Ahern on the way home from work in cork yesterday evening. It was well out on the cycle path near traffic caming islands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Hope you were wearing a helmet. I wear one even when they call to my door.

Well the local Sinn Fein candidate called last night as I was returning home, and yes I was wearing my helmet. I asked him did he think his party would do anything for cyclists and he answered me as Gaeilge "Ni Ceapaim"

Apologies that was truly awful...

• Advertisement

Timing was perfect, though.
    milod wrote:
    Well the local Sinn Fein candidate called last night as I was returning home, and yes I was wearing my helmet. I asked him did he think his party would do anything for cyclists and he answered me as Gaeilge "Ni Ceapaim"

Apologies that was truly awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I feel i must go on a Drunk Rampage some nite and tear as many down as a can

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Tallaght Green Party candidate's poster (can't remember her name) caused me to duck quickly yesterday on my way home. These posters are only up a couple of days and already I'm sick of them.

EDIT - It was a poster for Elizabeth Davidson - I had to duck again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

some are encroaching on the Clontarf - Sutton track also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Really weird, I was thinking how low some of them were, and then I saw this thread.

I nearly got my eye knicked this morning on the cycle lane coming up to white's cross on the N11. Looked over my right shoulder, then turned around and barely avoided a poster sitting at about 5'8" off the ground on a lamppost.

Are there any official channels for complaining about this? I mean cycle lanes are dangerous enough without stabbing yourself in the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've been trying to ring the office of the guy who's posters are encroaching on the Clontarf cycle track, but there is no answer

King Raam wrote:
    I've been trying to ring the office of the guy who's posters are encroaching on the Clontarf cycle track, but there is no answer

I was thinking of ringing FG headquarters because I'm sure they need every vote they can get...

Anyway you'll be lucky to catch your local politician at home during a campaign - they'll be too busy knocking on doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I think the politicians have written a get out of jail free card on this one.
    Roads Act, 1993, Section 71
    Unauthorised signs, caravans, vehicles, etc. on public roads.
    (10) This section shall not apply to a sign which relates to a presidential election within the meaning of the Presidential Elections Act, 1937, a general election or a bye-election, within the meaning, in each case, of the Electoral Act, 1923, a local election, a referendum, within the meaning of the Referendum Act, 1942, or an election of members of the European Parliament, unless the sign has been in position for seven days or longer after the latest day upon which the poll was taken for the election, bye-election or referendum concerned.

I'm not sure anything can be done about these signs, but if do have an accident you might be able to bring a civil case of negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I nearly got my eye knicked this morning on the cycle lane coming up to white's cross on the N11. Looked over my right shoulder, then turned around and barely avoided a poster sitting at about 5'8" off the ground on a lamppost.

Are there any official channels for complaining about this? I mean cycle lanes are dangerous enough without stabbing yourself in the eye.
    Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have advised all parties that (among other things);
    There should be a minimum clearance of 2.5 metres (8ft)
    from the lower edge of any poster to ground level and no posters should be placed higher than 6.5 metres (20ft) from the ground.

and

Election posters that do not comply with these conditions or that are erected on Council property prior to the declaration of an election will be removed by the Council. In the event of a breach of the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 prosecutions may be initiated.

So I guess you could contact the Environment Dept at DLRCoCo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

milod wrote:
    Fine Gael seem to have posters at bicycle height along Lord Edward St [/SIZE]
    FG election canvasser called to my home the other night...parked her BMW SUV on the path.

Maybe FG is not the right party for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

bring a knife or scissors with you and cut out the part which is in your way, to get rid of it you could post it to the candidate, with a letter of significance. or else just throw it in the bin (recycle-able?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Are they allowed to put these up in housing estates?

If its a private road then I cant see how they can.

Grr...those posters are doin my head in. Is anyone still up for the drunken rampage? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What do you mean 'private road' mine is a private house in a council estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just take 'em down. Tell anyone who asks that you're a freelance litter warden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hagar wrote:
    Don't forget to put them back up again a few weeks after the election ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A man after my own heart. :D

Good thinking Cap'n - you can easily remove the posters by opening the Tie-Wraps with a small pointed thingy like a nailfile, penknife (or even a bike tool...)

Just insert it into the fastening tab and lift the little lever and you can slide the other end back... hey presto a free poster.

Apparently Bertie posters have replaced traffic cones as the student's favourite post-pub souvenir...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hagar wrote:

I used to work for a company that was paid by the corporation for taking down illegal posters in town. Many sandwich boards are illegal in town and are classed as litter. Some people put up lovely looking wooden signs on fences that are illegal too, like outside temple bar arch. We used to love ripping these down, people would come out of the shops screaming, saying they would call the gardai, we would say "great!, it is rare you get people turning themselves in for littering, good boy/girl"
    Got stopped by ignorant gardai the odd time too. Next canvasser at the door is going to get some abuse, tell them I came off my bike due to their candidates poster and ask if they are willing to pay my medical bills and €150 for a new front wheel.

Since signs under 2.5m are techincally litter can they just be cut down and left there? you are not littering just moving litter? If it is against the law to do that then it is also illegal to kick a coke can on the ground, or move a cigarette butt with your foot while walking.

Bluefoam wrote:
    What do you mean 'private road' mine is a private house in a council estate.

Hmm..well I live in an estate on a private road, which I believe means the residents take care of the roads and maintenance. I'm not sure what the legal implications of this are, but I doubt that political posters would be allowed to be put up unless its on a public road.

Just thought I would add to this after an incident this morning.

Cycling my new bike, Giant scr :), in for the first time this morning, helmet and all, shaking in the saddle for fear of being knocked off in the high winds.

Suddenly, and almost out of nowhere, one of the election posters comes across my path. I'm not talking sliding on the breeze, more like a scene out of the day after tomorrow when the news reporter gets crushed by a billboard. It was FLYING though the air, flipping every-which-way.

Luckily it flew past me as I just passed it, near miss. I know I would hardly have been killed, but it would have been enough to knock me off balance into the path of a bus. God, i know who im voting for, why do we need these posters on every single freestanding light, telephone pole, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    God, i know who im voting for, why do we need these posters on every single freestanding light, telephone pole, etc.
    Yeah, I wonder if it makes any difference. Is there any party that do not put them up? Awful waste with many promoting "green issues"

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Right we next week eaglle il join you , Especially the ones from Finana fail !!!! we will go around with a chain saw , and butcher the signs !!!

Advertisement