Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap learner board

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

hey guys,

I've been talking about learning to surf for years and I think its time i got off my orse!

So im looking for a cheap (s/h probably) board to learn on.

Wat should I look for. does longer = easier?

If anyone knows of a board goin cheap please let me know!

Cheers
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Have you taken any lessons? If you haven't, I would take 2 or 3 before starting and go from then. It will really kickstart your surfing and they are the most fun you will ever have.
    After that go for something between 7'10 and 7'3 depending on weight, height etc, but stay away from cheap bic boards

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

only when i was much much younger. planning on gettin more lessons this wkend!

whats bic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

The same guys who make pens/razor blades etc. also make surfboards. They are made badly and are heavy and not buoyant enough. Most other brands are good so you should ask the guys giving you lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I would agree with Shane there about the bics, they are far too heavy and cumbersome. Also lessons are a good idea, Where are you living ? In terms of length:easier ratios depends where you are and what the waves are like but I surf a longboard (9 foot plus) because the waves here (east coast) are non existant. Its certainly easier to paddle around on a big board, catch the waves earlier, but you need to throw your weight around to turn her. Longboarding is a stone groove, but yeh get a few lessons before you decide to shell out on some equip and most of all dont worry too much, have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

I've been using my mates 10' bic to learn on, it only takes a few strokes to get it humming across the water, so it makes it easier to catch that tiny summer swell.
    there's loads of bouancy for some one my size (6'3" and 86kg or 13&1/2 stone).
    getting it out past the shorebreak can be a nightmare if it's big and dumpy tho.
    almost ready to move down to a shorter board, but for the moment i'm just havin a blast on the longboard.:D :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Exar Khun wrote:
    I would agree with Shane there about the bics, they are far too heavy and cumbersome. Also lessons are a good idea, Where are you living ? In terms of length:easier ratios depends where you are and what the waves are like but I surf a longboard (9 foot plus) because the waves here (east coast) are non existant. Its certainly easier to paddle around on a big board, catch the waves earlier, but you need to throw your weight around to turn her. Longboarding is a stone groove, but yeh get a few lessons before you decide to shell out on some equip and most of all dont worry too much, have fun.

live in dublin, but board would be used in south east, waterford mainly.
    i was thinking 7 - 8 ft?!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

getting it out past the shorebreak can be a nightmare if it's big and dumpy tho.

Yeah that turtle diving can be a bitch. In terms of moving down a size, I learned on a 6'4" and have felt I improved when I got the longboard, cause i have to work more for the turns, when I get on a shortboard now in any decent swell it feels like I'm turning really fast. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

Buy and Sell section
    irishsurfer.com

or buyandsell.ie - this tme of year and November good for Buyers

Advertisement