Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking during exams

Options
  • 01-05-2007 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

is parking in the rds free during the exams or whats the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah it is. UCD pay the RDS for the use of the car park. You just have to show your student card as you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

beanyb wrote:
    UCD pay the RDS for the use of the car park.

How very unlike UCD. Parking gets a bit tough before the exams so make sure you are there an hour or so to comfortably get a space. It packs up about 20mins before .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

theres loads of parking outside rds if you cant get parking inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I arrived late to one of my christmas exams and was allowed to park almost directly outside the door of the rds pavillion. the parking guys are lovely and logistical genii who should be in charge of all aspects of exams. :)

As an aside for anyone parking in Carysfort (Blackrock), from polling out there during elections it seems that space is quite limited. There is one non-pay carpark and one pay carpark. No prizes for guessing which one you're more likely to get a space in. Get there early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i've never had to show my student card driving in! free parking is great but its a nightmare getting out if u are in a hurry to get home and study for another exam.

• Advertisement

heres some update on parking
    Parking at RDS:
    There will be a parking charge of €5 per day at the RDS venue. This is a charge that has been levied directly by the RDS and not by UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

bastards!

aswell as ****ing us over with regards to the timetable we now have to pay for parking too, this is ridiculous

tywy wrote:
    bastards!

aswell as ****ing us over with regards to the timetable we now have to pay for parking too, this is ridiculous

Yeah the timetable situation was a diaster.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Where did you find that beautiful piece of news??

Theyve got to be joking!!!!

Where did you find that beautiful piece of news??

Theyve got to be joking!!!!

I just got an email from UCD, stating the exam locations and bus routes etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Parking at RDS:
    There will be a parking charge of €5 per day at the RDS venue. This is a charge that has been levied directly by the RDS and not by UCD.

Apparently UCD aren't to blame.

Chakar wrote:
    Parking at RDS:

Apparently UCD aren't to blame.

I just said that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

€5 for 2 hours parking is more than you'd pay in half the shoppung center carparks in Dublin.
    I'm sure UCD 'tried their best' to avoid it. >:(

CardinalJ wrote:
    €5 for 2 hours parking is more than you'd pay in half the shoppung center carparks in Dublin.
    I'm sure UCD 'tried their best' to avoid it. >:(

Yeah :confused: , Loads of people are going to park wrong outside and get clamped.Thats just bloody annoying

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

UCD 2006/7: the greatest shambles I have ever known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

An utter disgrace. UCD admin should have INSISTED on a continuation of free parking for students (they prob would have had to pay it themselves, so just passed the charge on).

Are staff/invigilators going to have to fork out also?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Its an absolute joke! Why is this only a problem now, and has never been a problem in the past??

Do you think that they could be using this as some sort of trial run for the proposed pay parking on campus? As in people who only "have to" drive will drive and those who dont will get the bus / dart / cycle / walk from home or UCD. So if hardly anyone bothers to drive to the RDS they'll think happy days people are happy not to drive. I realise that people can park in UCD and commute from there but you wouldn't know what way admin are thinking and they are under huge pressure to solve the parking problem on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

that is so ridiculous. the rds is a tough place to get to on public transport, cant believe there doing this

but Im in the arts building for my exams so Im not really too outraged, but I'll be outraged for the rest of you!

Villaricos wrote:
    that is so ridiculous. the rds is a tough place to get to on public transport, cant believe there doing this

but Im in the arts building for my exams so Im not really too outraged, but I'll be outraged for the rest of you!

its not that bad, just park outside the rds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

drdre wrote:
    its not that bad, just park outside the rds

ah I know yea, Im messing. Im not even in the rds!:p

• Advertisement

Villaricos wrote:
    ah I know yea, Im messing. Im not even in the rds!:p
    :D , i know thats why i was telling yoy not to panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

I think its such a disgrace to have to pay for the parking to do your exam.They are acting like its a bargain ONLY a fiver a day most ppl would proberly have only one exam a day so would only be parked for 2/3 hours what happens if you have like 7/8 exams thats gona cost you a fair bit.UCD is unbelievable this year its a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Whelo10

So if i have an exam from 9-11 then if i want to go back to the lib and study, and head back down to the Rds for 6-8 for another exam, i've got to fork out €10, for what is really only 4 hours parking. Talk about extortion, nd its not as if its a quality car park, its just grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Alternatively, you could park on campus and do what the majority of students do - get the bus/cycle/walk. It's a short walk from campus to the RDS, you're as quick walking as getting the bus from UCD, pretty much.

Alternatively, give a lift to other people doing exams on the understanding that they pay their share of the parking, it'll be between €1 and €2.50 for them, which is roughly the price of the bus.

It's the least of the problems posed by exam time. To be frank, there are far more pressing things to worry about.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Alternatively, you could park on campus and do what the majority of students do - get the bus/cycle/walk. It's a short walk from campus to the RDS, you're as quick walking as getting the bus from UCD, pretty much.

Alternatively, give a lift to other people doing exams on the understanding that they pay their share of the parking, it'll be between €1 and €2.50 for them, which is roughly the price of the bus.

It's the least of the problems posed by exam time. To be frank, there are far more pressing things to worry about.

the cycling, walking etc is just too much hassle and waste of time

Whelo10 wrote:
    So if i have an exam from 9-11 then if i want to go back to the lib and study, and head back down to the Rds for 6-8 for another exam, i've got to fork out €10, for what is really only 4 hours parking. Talk about extortion, nd its not as if its a quality car park, its just grass!
    No, €5 per day means just that. You get a sticker upon entry, just ensure you leave it on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Whelo10

Cool, hopefully though, if the feeder bus service is a success, and there isn't goin to be huge queues, that should be the easiest way down...but things never really go to plan round exam time with this college!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

drdre wrote:
    the cycling, walking etc is just too much hassle and waste of time

You won't even be there, what do you care? I've walked/taken the bus for 4 years, it hasn't killed me yet! Would you prefer every student had their exam brought to them in bed?

Blush_01 wrote:
    You won't even be there, what do you care?
    That's irrelevant and doesn't make the point any less valid.

In any case, not everyone will be arriving straight from college. And when one has a car, why waste time getting buses and walking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its only a 30-40 minute walk. And the RDS is reasonably well serviced by nearby buses.

Advertisement