Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking during exams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I don't know about everyone else but travelling to an exam is when I'm the most stressed by a mile and so I'd like as few complications as possible. It's up to UCD to arrange a place for it's students to sit exams and having to pay a fiver for the privilege seems a bit ghey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Twould be my reckoning that there is no change in the RDS situation. I reckon you've always had to pay to park but the college have paid it but this year they're not cos they're forking out for shuttle buses. UCD is really wreckin' my buzz right about now.

Anyway, I am also one of the cool kids sitting exams on campus due to arm injury. DrDre I suggest giving a shout to the disability support service and they will refer you the lady in the exams office who deals with special circumstances, they sorted me out pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

elmyra wrote:
    Twould be my reckoning that there is no change in the RDS situation. I reckon you've always had to pay to park but the college have paid it but this year they're not cos they're forking out for shuttle buses. UCD is really wreckin' my buzz right about now.

Anyway, I am also one of the cool kids sitting exams on campus due to arm injury. DrDre I suggest giving a shout to the disability support service and they will refer you the lady in the exams office who deals with special circumstances, they sorted me out pretty quickly.

Could you please send me a pm with the phone number and person i should contact.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

PM sent.

elmyra wrote:
    PM sent.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

cast_iron wrote:
    And when one has a car, why waste time getting buses and walking?

Yeah, why hold off contributing to the Dublin congestion, pollution and parking problem? And then moan about parking charges while you're doing it.

Tayto2000 wrote:
    Yeah, why hold off contributing to the Dublin congestion, pollution and parking problem? And then moan about parking charges while you're doing it.

Do you have a car, if you dont then you are just jealous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I have a car, but I usually cycle, its 20 minutes by bike vs 35-45 by car plus parking issues etc. Allows me to be smug when lambasting drivers on boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

hmm, cycling down to the RDS in exam stress mode...I can't see myself negotiating the junction at the Stillorgan road with much success...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Villaricos wrote:
    that is so ridiculous. the rds is a tough place to get to on public transport, cant believe there doing this

but Im in the arts building for my exams so Im not really too outraged, but I'll be outraged for the rest of you!

the 7 and 45 are both fairly regular, and its near the dart line.

and a shuttle bus from the college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

What part of shuttle bus is so hard to understand? There are 50 places on each bus. The buses run every 20 minutes. Park on campus and hop on the shuttle bus... and avoid parking fees. That's if you're too lazy to walk from Donnybrook/Ballsbridge to the exam centre. Don't give me crap about stress, a few minutes of a walk will do anybody good when they're going to be cooped up for the next 3 hours. Clear your head and give you some perspective before going over your notes at the exam centre.

I have no sympathy for drivers unless they're physically disabled. In which case, they'll be sitting exams on campus anyway, unless they're stubborn. Thousands of students get to the RDS/Blackrock every year without cars, and it doesn't make things any more or less stressful for them. A car isn't a right, it's a privilege, so stop trying to act as though it's otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Blush_01 wrote:
    What part of shuttle bus is so hard to understand? There are 50 places on each bus. The buses run every 20 minutes. Park on campus and hop on the shuttle bus... and avoid parking fees. That's if you're too lazy to walk from Donnybrook/Ballsbridge to the exam centre. Don't give me crap about stress, a few minutes of a walk will do anybody good when they're going to be cooped up for the next 3 hours. Clear your head and give you some perspective before going over your notes at the exam centre.

ah yes for the person with a nine o clock exam, clearly driving to college and then walking/getting a shuttle bus isnt going to be in anyway stressful, not under time pressure, with rush hour traffic and the impending exam, nope no stress at all there:rolleyes:

And Garret not everyone is serviced by the dart 7 or 45, when I used to be in the RDS I had to drive, or go on a two different buses journey. People from where I live are reckoning they'll have to get taxis in for nine o clock exams, theyve no other way of getting to the RDS in time. these are the non drivers obviously.

right, well i get a lift in a car, a train and a dart

and have 9 o clock exams

i dont find it stressful at all,

do no buses from your area link up to the city centre, where a 7 or 45 or dart can be taken no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Blush_01 wrote:
    What part of shuttle bus is so hard to understand? There are 50 places on each bus. The buses run every 20 minutes.
    Whilst the walk will no doubt be of some use (I've done it myself many a day), 150 seats per hour isn't much. I doubt everyone will want to be 2-3 hours early for an exam. Of course, there will be a glut of people trying to get on the shuttle bus at peak time, and I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

And while it may seem a touch frivilous, what about a rainy day? No one will walk, buses will be packed, and students won't be too keen waiting at a crowded Belfield stop with barely enough room to keep a dozen people dry for the next Dublin Bus to arrive.
    Blush_01 wrote:
    Thousands of students get to the RDS/Blackrock every year without cars, and it doesn't make things any more or less stressful for them. A car isn't a right, it's a privilege, so stop trying to act as though it's otherwise.
    And quite a few students have gone by car every year up to now, usually bringing a fairly packed car load of friends with them. Whilst it not a right to own a car, many have forked out quite a bit to do so, and this appears to be just another stealth charge, as it's not as if they are stuck for space out there, and it would be lying idle besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

So, as I said before, split the price of parking between the lot. 4 people in a car = €1.25 per person. Your parking is now vastly cheaper, if you must bring your car. There's more space for all those people who usually park on the side of the road too. The charge encourages those who don't have to drive to leave their cars at home, and those who do to car pool. It makes sense, I would have though.

Just because there's a shuttle bus service does not mean there's no Dublin bus service either, remember. The 145, 46A/B/C/D/E, 746, 84, 7, 45, 10 etc. all serve the RDS very well. So does the DART. If you have to take two modes of transport, then that's the reality of your situation. There are plenty of people from the areas drivers commute from who take public transport too, it's not like there's mass discrimination against drivers, shipping them off to the RDS while everyone else gets to go to a more convenient location.

You're just going to have to excuse my lack of sympathy at a parking charge. Likewise, you'll have to excuse me laughing at anyone stupid enough to illegally park who gets clamped as a result, because frankly, they deserve it.

Well I don't think anyone expects any sympathy off yourself.

I don't have great problems with parking charges per se (I said they should be introduced in UCD itself), but the reason I'm so against these particular charges is there is no shortage of space out there (the main reason parking charges exist), and there's little benefit to anyone but the accountants (of either RDS or UCD).

It's nothing short of racketeering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I dont have 4 friends. Am I still permitted to drive my car and silver spoon to the exams?

and for the record, that liar VP for students says this fare has been levied by the RDS. When in fact the fare was always there but UCD paid for it. What the **** is mt 4500 a year going on? I assumed it was to pay for my needs in college but obviously i must pay them as I go along.

And you carless people are the biggest bunch of selfish begrudgers ever! Get a job !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Garret wrote:
    right, well i get a car, journey, a train and a dart

and have 9 o clock exams

i dont find it stressful at all,

do no buses from your area link up to the city centre, where a 7 or 45 or dart can be taken no?

please explain this, Im suffering from an overstuffed brain - you get
    1. a car
    2. a journey
    3. a train
    4. a dart

am I right? Ok well arent all of those a journey?
    secondly isnt the dart a train? do you get a second train? :confused:

and my point was that yes people could get a bus into town and then a bus out to the RDS but doing this to be there for a 9am exam can actually be stressful experience for some considering they are on their way to an exam and rush hour traffic etc. I admire you for not geting stressed with your car/journey/dart/train thing but just because it doesnt stress you out doesnt mean others cant get stressed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I really don't see how it will take that much longer to go to UCD. park there, and then walk down. Maybe 20 mins more. Anglesea Road moves at a snails pace when the exams are on. I'd prefer to be walking then to be sitting in that wreck of a headache

Secondly, anyone getting the bus and that will already have to fork out close to €5 for transport (depending of course where you're coming from) so quit grumbling. Its not like we're getting off scot free

• Advertisement

Villaricos wrote:
    please explain this, Im suffering from an overstuffed brain - you get
    1. a car
    2. a journey
    3. a train
    4. a dart

am I right? Ok well arent all of those a journey?
    secondly isnt the dart a train? do you get a second train? :confused:

and my point was that yes people could get a bus into town and then a bus out to the RDS but doing this to be there for a 9am exam can actually be stressful experience for some considering they are on their way to an exam and rush hour traffic etc. I admire you for not geting stressed with your car/journey/dart/train thing but just because it doesnt stress you out doesnt mean others cant get stressed about it.

im sorry, the comma was a typo, just noticed it there myself and in fairness it 1.40 in the morning. It's rectified now.

its just after paying thousands of euro for the privilage , the extra charges are a pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

News Update:

Just got this from Brian Doyle:
    Hi Everyone,

Have been talking to Sinead Critchley (Director of Assessment) in the past hour. Students will now NOT have to pay to park in the RDS during the exams. An email is being sent to inform all students but will not go out until Monday sometime. Students wishing to avail of free parking must produce their student card to security at the entrance to the RDS.

You can give your classmates a heads up via email so they know before their first exam on Monday.

Best of luck to all of you over the next couple of weeks. Hope to see you at some stage in the RDS, Blackrock or back in UCD.

Best wishes,

Brian Doyle
    Education Vice President
    UCD Students' Union

So students no longer have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Steph wasn't having a dream, I got it too, WOOTAGE!

I love you Brian Doyle

enjoy the bus suckers :D:p :cool:

and congrats on the 1k Steph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

*slashes grimes's tyres*

enjoy this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

*slashes grimes's tyres*

Enjoy this :P

Just got this email regarding parking in rds, Its FREE now

Hi, Just forwarding this message from Brian Doyle, SU Education OfficerHi Everyone,Have been talking to Sinead Critchley (Director of Assessment) in the past hour. Students will now NOT have to pay to park in the RDS during the exams. An email is being sent to inform all students but will not go out until Monday sometime. Students wishing to avail of free parking must produce their student card to security at the entrance to the RDS.You can give your classmates a heads up via email so they know before their first exam on Monday.Best wishes,Brian DoyleEducation Vice PresidentUCD Students' Union01 716 3111087 7948018sueducation@ucd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Just as well... if 1,000 people drove down for 4 days, they'd be making €20,000... and thats a conservative estimate.

• Advertisement

Yet more proof that a bunch of monkeys are now at the healm of UCD admin.

Advertisement