Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earth Defence Force

• 01-05-2007 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Got this game last week, great fun shooting up 100's of 10ft tall ants, giant spiders, massive robots & other stuff with loads of strange weapons

anyone else got it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

No i looked at it due to the price but im not mad about shooting aliens etc , still looks fun and seems to get rated high enough . i might purchase it when im done with resistence .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wrote a mini review of it on another forum earlier so might aswell post it here too :D
    I saw people talking about this game on a few forums, but never really had any interest in it till I saw it cheap on eBay and bought it on a whim. I'm so glad I did, the game is just pure fun on a disk.

The game is a budget release, so don't expect state of the art graphics, top quality voice acting and for the game to run without the odd hitch. The story revolves around trying to repel an alien invasion force which so far consists of giant ants, giant robots, giant spiders,(see where this is going) giant spaceships, motherships and a gigantic robot that I have no idea how to kill. To do this you get a wide array of over the top weapons with unlimited ammo to fight your way to victory. The enemies come at you hundreds at a time and gives the game a very Serious Sam feeling. The whole game can be played in Co-op offline, but I haven't had a chance to try it :(

So if I haven't convinced you yet here's some screens
    theearthdefenseforces32yf1.jpg
    1170377149zs3.jpg
    1174407876la5.jpg

Great review which pretty much sums up my feelings: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74994

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Yeah, I finally got round to buying it a week ago!
    It fu€king rocks. So simple, and yet so addictingly fun.

Running around on inferno, with metalica soundtrack blasting out.

Just you, a million giant alien insects, and a cascade rocket launcher!!!:D

P.S: It's even more fun in Co-Op mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

anyone seen it cheap anywhere ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I got it cheap on eBay, didn't take long for a decent one to pop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Play.com €28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Speaking of custom soundtracks...

Rip Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds rock opera to the Xbox and play EDF with that on. Nothing like blasting through a horde of giant ants as they sing "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, yet still they come!" blaring out. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

which one is the cascade launcher?

i cant even finish the first level on inferno, think i need better weapons/skill :)

whats the best weapon in the game?

at the moment my best are the af18ra, really wide spread machine gun that packs massive damage (pity there isnt gant enemy crabs) & then either the prominance missile or the one that shoots 20 missiles in one shot that home in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

madrab wrote:
    which one is the cascade launcher?

i cant even finish the first level on inferno, think i need better weapons/skill :)

whats the best weapon in the game?

at the moment my best are the af18ra, really wide spread machine gun that packs massive damage (pity there isnt gant enemy crabs) & then either the prominance missile or the one that shoots 20 missiles in one shot that home in

The cascades rocket launchers are the ones that fire twenty non-homing missiles.
    Horrible accuracy, but decent damage, and great for taking out a bunch of bugs all at once.

The MLRA (the homing ones you talked about) aren't as effective in taking out groups, as the missiles all go to the nearest enemy, meaning that you may end up shooting all twenty at one space ant!
    Plus they don't do as much damage, or have as big a blast radius as the cascade. (I think the first cascade has 20 missiles at 150 damage and a 1 meter blast radius each!!!)

The weapons depend on who you're fighting.

I usually use shotguns, and cascades against bugs, Sniper rifles and Emeralds against the robot "arms", and maybe Goliaths against the giant dinos.
    If there's a combination, I nearly always take a shotgun, and a cascade or emerald.

That's just me though, I suppose everyone is different.

Speaking of custom soundtracks...

Rip Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds rock opera to the Xbox and play EDF with that on. Nothing like blasting through a horde of giant ants as they sing "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, yet still they come!" blaring out. Brilliant!

Damn, never thought of that! Cheers. That's the rest of my evening sorted then!
    (After I watch Liverpool send Chealski back home to London crying that is!:D )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing this at the moment and have to admit I havent grinned so hard playing a game since I first turned on Resi 4. Of course, it is not up to the quality of said game, but it is great fun. The first time you hit that radio tower with a rocket launcher is absolutely hilarious. My major gripe is a fairly uneven difficulty level (find myself switching between normal and hard depending on the mission - ones with the giant robots are very bothersome on higher settings).

Its not perfect - recyled enviornments, repition etc.. but for good old fashioned OTT cheesiness, nothing hits the spot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to challenge the harder difficulty levels I suggest picking up the armour upgrades since they give a small but permanent upgrade to your health.

Have to agree with the uneven difficulty. There are a few really tough levels, especially that ambush level in the canyon.

Advertisement