Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which DB for .Net??

Options
  • 01-05-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering which database you would recommend for me to use. My project is being written in C#, i've always used MySQL in the past but was wondering would something like Microsoft SQL Server suit better seen as how they're both Microsoft... Like would SQL Server be easier and more flexible to plug into my C# code than MySQL? Any other thoughts?

Edit: The Database itself will be quite small, only a few tables at most...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi Dulpit

I just finished a project myself for college and I used both Visual C# and SQL Server Express 2005. It all went together very simply. Creating queries to the database was all very easy. Hope this helps somewhat.

H3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

dulpit wrote:
    Like would SQL Server be easier and more flexible to plug into my C# code than MySQL?

The way to easily plug stuff into C# is well defined. You can take it that none of it is broken for MSSQL. If some of it is broken for MySQL (which you've used), then the answer is no. If nothing is unsupported under MySQL, then the answer is yes.
    Any other thoughts?
    If you're not familiar with MSSQL, are you ready to learn new DB tools, a new flavour of SQL and all the rest of it? This is stuff you presumably already know under MySQL, so even if MSSQL is easier to use, its not necessarily easier to learn-and-use.

As a general rule, the technology you know is easier to use then the technology you don't.

Unless there are technological or other reasons why the tech you know isn't suitable, or you have a reason to go through the learning curve of a new technology, then you should stick with what you know.

On the other hand, if you think its worth the risk of learning something new, then go for it.

In this case, I'd recommend either MSSQL or Oracle (both of whom have free implementations) with DB2 as my third choice. The reason for this is that any corporate using .Net is likely to have one (or more) of these three, with Oracle and MSSQL probably having the edge in popularity. Knowing these DBs is never a bad thing when it comes to looking for a job.

Advertisement