Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS unit with GPRS ?

• 01-05-2007 12:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to source a relatively cheap GPS unit with the ability to send data (co-ordinates, heading, altitude, speed) to a database via a GPRS connection in real-time. If need be maybe a unit that can connect to a phone via Bluetooth to store the data to a file/db on the phone so that I can access it by WAP. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure about the cheap part but there are some posible options here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Thanks for that. We've looked at going with various companies like that but to be honest their prices are shocking for what they are providing so I was hoping to see if anyone knew of ways to do it myself (i.e. links to tutorials, past experience settings these things up, testimonials on various units etc.)

I can buy a cheap GPS unit. I can set a phone with a WAP page to send back data. I just need to know really is it possible to link the two.

Thanks again
    -RD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should ask Tim Hibbert how he does it, assuming you can find him. :)

Seriously though, a GPS equipped phone (smart phone) seems to be the easiest and least expensive way to do this. Here's the Guardian article on Tim Hibbert: http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1871355,00.html

Thanks Krusty. Had a look at that option with a view of the newer O2 GPS enabled phones. They don't seem able to either retrieve and store or send the data. They will tell you where you are but that's not really what I'm looking for. I want to be able to tell other people where I am if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the input
    -RD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I reckon what you need is a smartphone in tandem with some additional software that support broadcasting over GPRS, such as GSM Tracker for Symbian phones, or something like Topophone (http://www.topophone.com/) for Windows Mobile devices.

• Advertisement

I reckon what you need is a smartphone in tandem with some additional software that support broadcasting over GPRS, such as GSM Tracker for Symbian phones, or something like Topophone (http://www.topophone.com/) for Windows Mobile devices.

No joy with topophone.com but the other seems exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much Krusty.

-RD

Advertisement