Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading processor?

Options
  • 01-05-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

I've a bit of a newbie question. Now, I know how to replace processors - I've done it for people who've been to the store, enquired about a processor, and brought it home. But Im a bit confused about the sockets.

My mobo is a few years old at this stage, all I know is its socket A. My processor's an aged xp2000+ @ 1.67ghz. Looking through komplett, theres 4 different AMD socket catagories to buy from, but Im afraid of buying something that wont work. Does anyone know what socket catagory I should be buying from?

Excuse me if this is a completly stupid question, this is the only thing I've never really looked in to before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You probably won't particularly like this answer but I would say not to bother unless you pick up a very cheap processor. None of the processors on Komplett fit a Socket A board as Socket A was phased out quite a while ago. The kind of performance increase you are looking for is unlikely to be found by replacing a processor alone as your system will probably be limited by FSB and RAM.

What is the max FSB (266, 333, 400) of your board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I m new to upgrading myseldf but I would have to say you might aswell save up and get a new processor motherboard and memory rathater that just the processor.

Here s and intel bundle for €225
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313016

and here s a AMD one for €260
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313407

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I looked at those bundles and ur only saving like 7 euro on the one I did. Check out www.dabs.ie as well Goose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

As your board is socket A which has been discontinued upgrades are tricky. Your board uses AGP for graphics cards so you would have to buy a new graphics card for €30-40 or get a motherboard which supports AGP like this one.

Get an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU for €85 & some 2GB DDR-2 667 for €99 and you have a very nice upgrade at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

8T8 wrote:
    As your board is socket A which has been discontinued upgrades are tricky. Your board uses AGP for graphics cards so you would have to buy a new graphics card for €30-40 or get a motherboard which supports AGP like this one.

Get an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU for €85 & some 2GB DDR-2 667 for €99 and you have a very nice upgrade at a reasonable price.

QFT!

That is all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement