Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance rules re how long a car can be outside the state

Options
  • 01-05-2007 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the rule is - regarding consecutive days or cumulative period? I'm talking about having a southern registered car up north for an extended period.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Normally 30 days in any eu country but check with your insurer as they may vary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just got my policy yesterday and it said 31 days in any EU country and some other designated countries (no idea what these countries are, though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Is that 31 days consecutively or no more than 31 days total in any one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

My policy with QD is 90 days per year, but I think there might be something fishy about imposing this restriction from an EU law point. All of the guys I work with have their cars registered and insured in Germany, France, Holland indefinitely and they're insured all year round so why do we not have that luxury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I'm with AXA, and have asked this, I got told for NI and GB, that it was unlimited. It's not as if we're getting cheap insurance from here. Mailand europe was 31 days, conseq, but can be extended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks for that - it's way cheaper for me to insure in Cork than it is in Belfast and I'm not actually working up in Belfast for 6 months so I'd have to insure it here first anyway, plus I'd be up and down regularly so wanted to see if I could just keep the Irish insurance on it rather than cancelling mid policy and trying to get someone up there to cover me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only way to be sure of your 'foreign' cover is to get it in writing (not verbally!) from your insurance company.
    Many companys want to be informed if you plan on being abroad for more than a few days (IIRC 20) before your cover reverts to a basic level.
    However, if you were working up North then you could always claim to return home every few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

Bogger77 wrote:
    I'm with AXA, and have asked this, I got told for NI and GB, that it was unlimited. It's not as if we're getting cheap insurance from here. Mailand europe was 31 days, conseq, but can be extended.

Are you sure about this ? Do you have it in writing ?

According to the AA mag they are not allowed charge you extra for the coverage either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

Called Axa today and they confirmed that you are *not* allowed to drive in UK for more than 31 days, and even if you do so you need to let them know about the exact dates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But does that rule encompass NI?

Advertisement