Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading, need advice

Options
  • 01-05-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my system and possibly (if affordable) to get a dual processor... AMD or Intel, I'm easy going, just looking to get biggest bang for my buck.
    I've a hard budget of 400euro and I need the following upgraded (bare in mind I'm an avid gamer)
    Motherboard + Processor (currently Socket 754 and AMD64 3200+)
    Graphics Card (currently ATI X800Pro)

As I said I'm hoping for a dual core or something drastically faster than what I have and prob a pci-E motherboard and card. Also my memory has been recently been upgraded to OCZ 1024mb(x2) - pc3200 I think. I assume this ram will be compatible and will hold me for another while.

Here is something I came up with quickly, its a tad over budget, so I should go for a cheaper processor.
    Motherboard = Euro106.06 Asustek AM2 nForce 570 SLI ATX Audio Dual Lan DDR11
    Processor = Euro177.02 AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ AM2 2.8GHz
    Graphics Card = Euro146.34 Sapphire Technology Radeon X1950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCIE Dual DVI 500/600

Can't believe how cheap graphics cards have gotten... Hope ^^ that sort of system will do for a good while game wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Intel are miles ahead of AMD currently and possibly will be for another while

i reccomend this

and

this

instead of what you have there - with a good cooler you'll overclock that cpu easily

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

all new configerations use DDR2 ram so urs wont be compatable i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

:( eek, ****. I only just bought them.. ah well more money...thanks for pointing it out Poggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

poggy wrote:
    all new configerations use DDR2 ram so urs wont be compatable i'm afraid

Not strictly true. There are a couple of Asrock boards that take Intel Core2Duo cpu's and DDR RAM...they also have AGP as well as PCI-E slots.

See HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

cool looks like ur safe snippe sorry for the scare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

LOL my poor heart. I'll have to try and get a board like that for the core2duo

Advertisement