Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HDV cam not recognised by PC or editing software

• 01-05-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a Canon XH-A1 HDV camera last week but have a XH-G1 till the end of the month as there were no XH-A1's in stock at the time. Problem is that when I connect the cam to the PC, the "Found New Hardware" box appears and I am asked to insert my Windows XP sp2 disc. Now my PC came preloaded with XP and thus I have no disc. So I click "cancel" and then I am told the hardware did not install correctly. Should the cam just be recognised?
    And (probably as a result), my editing software also does not see the camera - I use Ulead Video Studio 10+ and Ulead Media Studio Pro 8. I thought it would have just been simply a case and plug and play but its not and I can't edit any footage on my PC, which is well capable of editing HDV. Oh, I also have a Windows Vista disc but I would rather not upgrade (DOWNGRADE!!!!) to vista as I have heard to many horror stories and I'm afraid of losing all my programs!!!

If there is little or no response, I may request to get it moved to the computer section.

Many thanks in advance.

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If it came preloaded then the drivers should all have been stuck on the hard drive somewhere. If you have no disc, then the people who sold you the computer broke the law, unless they loaded the disc into the hardrive and gave you a serial number on a book etc. Try downloading the drivers from the net.

JOhn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks John. PC was bought in Aldi last November, I think. Fine machine for the price. I dont remember getting a Windows XP disc with the PC. I didn't get one with the Compaq PC I bought in PC world about 3 years ago either. There is a sticker with a serial number on the PC though. Maybe Microsoft will send me out another disc if I email them with my license number??? Couldn't find any drivers suitable on the Canon website. $hite anyway!!!

Oh well, once they give you a serial number it's fine. Did you try let it install from the internet?

John

AFAIK, it didn't find anything on the internet. I will recheck when I get home from work in about an hour. I found a couple of other things I can check on the settings on the PC so will try those too, if needs be. Thanks for this help John.

G

OK

Still having probs with this cam. I have a Vista upgrade disc which I am seriously contemplating using to see if an upgrade from XP to Vita will help. Would rather stay with XP though. I have attached an excel screenshot showing the yellow explanation mark at the "61883 Device Class" part of the tree in the Device Manager. The camera make and model is shown but not much else. Also shown is the message in the "Found New Hardware" box that comes up.

Any tips will be seriously appreciated!!!

G
    hdv prob.xls

• Advertisement

Surely you got a disc with the camera, or can get them online! Ring Canon and bitch at them.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Have you run windows update to make sure your installation is up to date? Have you run any installation disks (if any) provided with the camera?

Is this dvinfo.net thread any use?

Many thanks everyone - Finally got the ability to capture by installing Windows Vista - lost some other things along the way though but I'll get there. I just need another 1GB of RAM now!!! lol.

Thanks again

Oh, extopia, that was me in the link for the other thread - thanks for the help though. Much appreciated

Advertisement