Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torres To Celtic?

• 01-05-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I had to open a thread on this as it's one of the strangest "serious" rumours I've ever heard. There's an admin of a called Celtic form (CelticMinded) with the username MinceCFC. There's no doubt he has a big source at Celtic as he told us Gravesen was in talks back last June and kept us updated on his transfer and was the first to report he signed. He also reported the Riordan signing the day before it was announced.

Anyway, he has given plenty of reason to be trusted. He opened a thread yesterday afternoon and it goes like this...
    News reaches me that we are in talks with a La Liga star.

I can confirm that talks have been held with Fernando Torres of Atletico Madrid. Celtic remain hopeful that a deal can be agreed, however, remain wary that a Premirship side could scupper the deal by offering crazy wages.

after everyone tells him where to go he replies:
    I can assure everyone that I am not joking, honestly.

Yes, ultimately, the guy may be out of our price range. Yes, he is contracted to Atletico until 2008, so a fee would be involved. Yes, he is highly rated, etc.

However, I can say with certainty that we have at least had talks with this player.

This comes from the same source that gave me Gravesen before anyone else and Riordan before anyone else.

It might well not happen, in fact I'd say that is likely, however, it doesn't mean what I've said is not true.

There's no doubt he's being serious so the only question is whether his trusted source is pulling his leg or just got it completely wrong.
    Well, I've just spoken with my friend on the telephone.

He initially told me about this by text message.

Now that we've spoken about it, I am actually more hopeful that a deal can be done. There are ambitious people on the board of Celtic who want to "take the club to the next level". The attempted deal with Torres would include image rights clauses, sell-on clauses, etc. Torres himself is said to be keen as he is interested and likes us as a club. I can also confirm that Torres' agent has been in Glasgow.

However, it remains what I said before - at the talking stage. No more, no less.

Another interesting thing that came out of the conversation was that if the right player became available and was willing to come, Celtic (with Mr Desmond's help) could and would really splash out with a Scottish record fee, by a serious distance too.

Make of it what you will. :) I personally believe there has been contact of some sort but not a chance in hell of this happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Haha, where will the funds come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd be stunned if he ended up at Celtic. There's about 20 other clubs of a similar stature that would be more attractive to the player, that would snap him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

so thats why he had 'you'll never walk alone' on his armband, it was for Celtic not Liverpool.

Could happen, how longs he at AM now? and they're hardly a top team, Celtic would be a step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

He'd cost £20 million at least. How could Celtic possibly pull that cash out of their ass?

zabbo wrote:
    so thats why he had 'you'll never walk alone' on his armband, it was for Celtic not Liverpool.

Could happen, how longs he at AM now? and they're hardly a top team, Celtic would be a step up.

But for cold Scotland? I mean yes there is the CL but surely he has better options out there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Haha, where will the funds come from?
    Dermot Desmond apparantly. He's getting a lot more involved with Celtic these days and I very much doubt he's in it for the money. I can't see Celtic adding much to his fortune anyway.

if there is an ounce of truth in this I'd say it's the agent approaching Celtic rather than the other way around. He has the same agent as Nacho Novo (Rangers) and David Fernandez (ex-Celtic). Gravesen wouldn't be playing for Celtic today if him and his father weren't fans of the club. The same can be said about many players. Whether a guy like Torres has a soft spot for Celtic is obviously questionable but not inconceivable. :)

Still, though, I doubt that Strachan would be interested in stumping up with 30m for one player - wouldn't he rather distribute it over his whole squad? He doesn't seem that type of manager imo (that would blow that amount needlessly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Couldn't see it in a million years, maybe theres a straight swap deal seeing Beattie going the other way.

I definitely agree, can't see this happening at all, at all. If it wasn't this guy MinceCFC I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought but it's certainly more reliable than a rumour in the Mirror. £30m is way off though surely.

He has a huge buyout clause though and AM will want to milk their golden boy for all they can imo

• Advertisement

He has a huge buyout clause though and AM will want to milk their golden boy for all they can imo
    Buy out clauses in Spain are mandatory I think, they mean nothing. Still though £30m is something you'd read in a tabloid. ;) We haven't had a transfer of that price in about 5 years (unless Shevchenko cost that which I doubt). I'd say £15m would be what it'd cost for Torres.

I'm just basing it on the fact that he's young, scores goals (sometimes :D) and has a host of clubs after him, effectively AM can just name a price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

eirebhoy wrote:
    Buy out clauses in Spain are mandatory I think, they mean nothing.
    A buy out clause in a players contract is the minimum amount of money that needs to be offered to a club to dissolve the contract. I believe current buyout clause on Torres' contract is £41.6 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A buy out clause in a players contract is the minimum amount of money that needs to be offered to a club to dissolve the contract. I believe current buyout clause on Torres' contract is £41.6 million.

Nonetheless, the club can accept or reject lower offers at their discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No chance, i'll put my house on it. Absolutely no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Piggy Power will offer 100/1 on this eventuality ever happening. Not a hope in hell.

Isn't a buy out clause just there for the players benefit? Duff had a £17m buy out clause in his contract and Blackburn had no option but to accept it. If they wanted to accept £2m they obviously could have. I think it's the law in Spain that they have to have these sort of clauses in contracts.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pighead wrote:
    Piggy Power will offer 100/1 on this eventuality ever happening. Not a hope in hell.
    Just in case I would like €10 on this. Is my €10 payable at the end of time or Fernando Torres' death, whichever comes first?

Do I get a piggy slip?

On topic, I can't ever really see this happening either, as it would be an incomprehensible move on Torres' part, but then again, it'd be great for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Off the ball on Newtalk said this the other night slagging that Torres had "you'll never walk alone" on his armband for celtic not liverpool but they were completely taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I kinda hope this happens, I think it'd be funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

5starpool wrote:
    Just in case I would like €10 on this. Is my €10 payable at the end of time or Fernando Torres' death, whichever comes first?

Do I get a piggy slip?
    You obviously didn't read the small proint at the end of my post where it says: "Where ever =during his career". Not your fault though as I typed that bit in white. To answer your other question, of course you'll get a piggy slip. Like all bookmakers I am virtuous and honest as the day is long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The buyout clause being mandatory in spain will always be set at an unrealistic level, unless the player wants it lower, it's probably a legal thing so that the contract more resembles a regular employee's contract (who can certainly break the contract and move job, unless a clause is put in otherwise).

For Duff and Bellamy and others in the UK, it's a way of them telling their club that if the right offer comes in, then they will move, and it's then up to the club to accept or reject (or risk not getting or losing the player on a bosman).

AFAIK, the release clause in Torres' latest contract had a lesser value than before and seemed to be geared towards him moving this or next summer, of course, it will probably be £20m minimum to get him and it won't be Celtic.

edit: afaik, ronaldinho's buyout is ~£70m and someone else had theirs set at over £100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

These rumours are there to sell season tickets at Celtic Park... happens every year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

lol

funny tho.

Torres doesnt have a buy out clause any more AM waived that when he signed an extension. If they dont make uefa or CL hes gone this season, tbh hes nothing to compared to the lad he plays up front with. Ageuro who is better than Ronaldo better than Messi!!!!!! Also cost AM 21 million or so and after a not so great season i cans ee them selling someone. AM when fit have possibly the best 11 in la Liga just never been fit.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

KdjaCL wrote:
    lol

funny tho.

Torres doesnt have a buy out clause any more AM waived that when he signed an extension. If they dont make uefa or CL hes gone this season, tbh hes nothing to compared to the lad he plays up front with. Ageuro who is better than Ronaldo better than Messi!!!!!! Also cost AM 21 million or so and after a not so great season i cans ee them selling someone. AM when fit have possibly the best 11 in la Liga just never been fit.

kdjac
    that is not what i have heard. It was reported a lot in the press, both here and in spain, over the last year that part of the contract negotiations was to reduce his buy out clause from £40million to £27million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It was based on whether AM were a CL team or UEFA team or nowt (according to Guillem). Atm they hanging on for UEFA but really should be doing better. AM need to recoup some of the money they paid for Aguero so someone getting sold.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Torres is vastly overrated imo. That said, I'm sure he could destroy SPL teams and chip in with about 40 goals a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

id never believe anything that guillem chap says since i heard him say at the start of the season that the 3 best strikers in the world were montella, villa and andy johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He also was 100% sure Henry was going to Barca.

I like him, I think he's probably more informed than the average pundit, possibly the most, but ultimately, he's still just going on second hand info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

astrofool wrote:
    edit: afaik, ronaldinho's buyout is ~£70m and someone else had theirs set at over £100m.
    Kilbane?

Nah, Carsely obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

kinaldo wrote:
    Torres is vastly overrated imo. That said, I'm sure he could destroy SPL teams and chip in with about 40 goals a season.

I think he'd be like eto'o. Seemingly a good player then when he joins a good team scores a ton of goals and proves it.

Advertisement