Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless BB for Dummies

• 01-05-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Hello,

As the title suggests,I have litle or no clue about setting up a wireless BB connection.

I have applied for Digiweb and they will be out to install in a couple of weeks,so I don't know what hardware they use or whatever to help me get going.

Could somebody tell me what I will need to buy (router etc,cheeky enough to ask for make and model!) to set up my wirelss BB when it arrives?

In a 2 bed apartment with partition walls,do i need to get a booster for full home coverage?

Also,are there any things i need to watch out for when installing?

Thanks so much,I hate having to ask these dumb-ass questions but gotta start somewhere!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No particularly dumb questions here. I would think that digiweb will be providing you with a wireless adsl modem. This will allow a computer with a wireless card to connect to it. If you have a desktop computer you can add a wireless pci card easily (takes about 2 minutes to put in), or you could get a wireless usb adapter. (Assuming you don't have either of these already!)

If you have a recent laptop it's likely you already have a wireless card. If you don't, you can add wireless functionality though a wireless pcmcia card or the previously mentioned usb adapter. If you have built in wireless you have all you need.

Setting it up is very easy, though you will probably need to connect to the router through the supplied cable. This is a network or RJ45 connection which is on most laptop and desktop computers. Your router will come with some very easy instructions, but if you have any questions at that stage just post back.

Any modem should have enough range to cover an apartment or even a medium sized house.

By the way, those links were only for reference, i'm sure they are all fine etc, I didn't go looking for bargains or anything.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Cheers MarkR,great info.I guess I'll know more about it when I get the thing in.The macbook has wireless b and g built in so I won't need to get a card or anything. I'v heard the Netgear name floating around, seems to be router of choice. Will i be assured of constant coverage within a typical 2 bed apartment without the use of a rangebooster?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did they mention whether they were sending a wireless router or not? If not you can purchase them pretty cheaply. PC world have a linksys one for 39.99 that comes with a pcmcia card (no one needs them these days so no one's buying them!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cheers MarkR,great info.I guess I'll know more about it when I get the thing in.The macbook has wireless b and g built in so I won't need to get a card or anything. I'v heard the Netgear name floating around, seems to be router of choice. Will i be assured of constant coverage within a typical 2 bed apartment without the use of a rangebooster?

Thanks again

One of the predictable things about wireless is its unpredictability and it is difficult to know in advance how equipment will perform in any particular set of circumstances.

In theory an apartment should present no problems for wireless but these days lots of people have wireless so keep an eye out for other networks and make sure that the channel your router is using is different to those of your neighbours.

Rangeboosters work best when both the router and the wireless card are of the same make and both use rangeboosting technology which in this case may be difficult for you as you are 'stuck' with Apple.

However if your Macbook is a recent model you may have 'n' technology on board which is the latest wireless standard. Apparently this can be activated for payment of a fee to apple - and if this is the case it might be worth thinking of purchasing an 'n' router. You may get more information on this particular aspect of things on the Mac forum.

Lots of diverse information here if you want to do a bit of reading:http://www.google.ie/search?q=apple+n+wireless&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ok. For a dolla99 I can get the 802.11n enabler.There are mixed reviews on how good it is though.Half show 5 stars and the other show 1 star rating saying it slowed their macbook right down.Might pass that one over to the mac forum and let them battle it out.

I think eircom supply you with a wireless modem but not too sure if digiweb do.Anyone know?

I don;t have any other wireless products running at the mo so fingers crossed I won;t have any hiccups.

Got the macbook today anyway so will be going home to play with it later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement