Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy retail nVidia Quadro FX cards?

Options
  • 01-05-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, have to buy a dell precision to some CAD/3D modeling in SolidWorks 2007. Would prefer to custom build a rig to do this.

Only problem is SolidWorks recommends you use a Quadro FX card. Makes sense I guess, as gaming cards seem to suffice. The level of rendering, windows open, etc. will be moderate, so could I chance not using a Quadro?

Anywhere you can buy a retail version of a Quadro or are they only available through OEM builders?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can always mod a regular Geforce card to a Quadro one.

You can get them easily on ebay, not too sure about retail....best bet would be either to buy one on ebay if you're looking for one, as they're quite expensive. Although a non quadro would be ok, the very slight differences in the capabilities of the cards can make a big difference when you're doing anything remotely complex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can buy retail like here on Dabs super expensive though.

Soft modding via Rivatuner a GeForce 7/8 to a Quadro last I heard isn't possible NVIDIA finally locked them down after the 6 series but I could be wrong.

I think at the moment for the latest 7/8 cards they use a patch which unlocks some of the Quadro functionality for certain programs as there is a lock on OpenGL but not Direct3D if your apps uses Direct3D then it might be possible. However Google seems to say that Solidworks is heavily reliant on OpenGL which closes that avenue down.

If this isn't wire frame model stuff then a regular gaming card may suffice.

Advertisement