Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time waxing

• 01-05-2007 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi there,

Im just looking for any advice on first time waxing my legs and bikini area. I'd be getting it done professionally but basically am just looking for tips to make it as painless as possible? Thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Don't go the week before your period!

Do take a couple of painkillers 30 mins before the appointment!

Trim the hair around the bikini area to about 1/4 inch long

Go to Brazilia (www.brazilia.ie) where they use hot lycos wax! A lot more bearable, and they're very professional! I've always been 100% happy coming out of there (had my first Hollywood last week and it was really not that bad :))

Edit: Let us know how you get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

Sorry, forgot to put in I'm based in Cork! Thanks for the link and the tips though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Glowing wrote:
    Don't go the week before your period!

Do take a couple of painkillers 30 mins before the appointment!

Trim the hair around the bikini area to about 1/4 inch long

Go to Brazilia (www.brazilia.ie) where they use hot lycos wax! A lot more bearable, and they're very professional! I've always been 100% happy coming out of there (had my first Hollywood last week and it was really not that bad :))

Edit: Let us know how you get on :D

What Glowing said!
    Don't go just before your period, and take a couple of painkillers before you go in.
    Afterwards, avoid a hot shower or bath for around 24 hours, and avoid putting fake tan or body lotion on your legs.
    Also exfoliate which will help prevent ingrown hairs

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

carol wrote:
    exfoliate which will help prevent ingrown hairs

Tea Tree skin wash or a moisturiser is a good idea too.

Best of luck, You'll never look back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

megs_88 wrote:
    Sorry, forgot to put in I'm based in Cork! Thanks for the link and the tips though :D

Let me know how you get on, also in cork, so i want to know how professional they were where you went...i'm terrified of getting some tit who hasnt a clue...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

So everyone seems to rave about hollywoods and brazillians? Any bad points? Any negative after effects? I.e - how long until you can show it off?! ;) Considering going for my first this week... Would appreciate some honest advice!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I get mine done by Rachel Coughlan in Absolute Beauty in Cork. She was on the Grand Parade, but has now moved to over Rosini's restaurant on Princes Street. She's lovely, really friendly and professional. She completely puts you at ease and you don't even feel embarrassed getting your first bikini wax. Her number is (021)4270145. In fact, I recommend her for everything!

Oh, forgot to say I'm in Dublin and thinking of going to Urban Wax....

I had my first Hollywood in Brazilia - I used to go to Urban Wax but I'd never go back after Brazilia .... www.brazilia.ie

I was putting it off for ages, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. Sore? Yes. Pure agony? Nah. There were a couple of 'Owwww' moments, but nothing for more than a few seconds!

Go for it! You'll never look back :)

That's reassuring! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Faith wrote:
    I get mine done by Rachel Coughlan in Absolute Beauty in Cork. She was on the Grand Parade, but has now moved to over Rosini's restaurant on Princes Street. She's lovely, really friendly and professional. She completely puts you at ease and you don't even feel embarrassed getting your first bikini wax. Her number is (021)4270145. In fact, I recommend her for everything!

how long has it been since you went there faith?just wondering how much the bikini wax done after exams before holidays just petrified about getting it done.

for all you other waxing ladies will it take bout 24 hrs ish before you can let the work be seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

In terms of first time waxing - I would really suggest that you don't have a shower for a couple of hours before you go as this opens the pores and makes the skin more sensitive. It can make it more likely that'll you'll get ingrown hairs and bumps. If you appointment is in the morning have your shower the night before. And do not have a show for at least 24 afterwards as your skin will be quite senstive after the first time.

For your first time - take a few painkillers. I don't find waxing painful but I know others that do and swear by this.

If you are getting your bikini done and if you haven't gotten it done before then do some trimming. It is more painful the longer the hair is so trim them to several cm. It will make it alot more bearable.

Usually after the first time you are waxed the skin can be quite red and sensitive so you prob won't be able to show it off for a day or two after.

A day or two! Damn! ;)

chuci wrote:
    how long has it been since you went there faith?just wondering how much the bikini wax done after exams before holidays just petrified about getting it done.

I went there last summer last time. I think it was €15. I don't know if that's expensive or not, but if it is, it's worth it for the service! Incense, soft relaxing music and a really good after cream. I don't remember having to wait 24 hours afterwards, and I don't remember getting red spots.

Chuci, seriously, don't be afraid of it! I get my eyebrows waxed occasionally and that's WAY more painful! And Rachel and her assistant are both so, so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

can anyone recommend a place in dublin to get it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

a little off topic but you all seem to know what you're talking about. Is it possible to get waxed if you have excema? i wouldnt consider it normally but Im going to south america for 6 weeks and would rather not have to carry around razors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Little Miss I go to Urban Wax every six weeks and I love it, would never go anywhere else. The staff are extremely nice and professional, all the rooms have televisions and show things like Sex and the City or Dirty Dancing, the beds are comfortable and they have the option of a hot wax which I think is considerably less painful than the regular wax.
    If you are really worried about the pain, they sell something called Scream Cream. You apply it to the area to be waxed about an hour before and it numbs everything. Doesn't rub off on clothes.
    Strangely enough, I have actually come to enjoy my regular waxing trip! never gone for brazilian or hollywood though, I always get the urban express.

Whether its Brazilia or Urban wax you go to, make sure to get the HOT wax, not the strip wax!!! The thoughts of it are making my eyes water :)

yes I agree, hot wax all the way.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

whats the difference between a hollywood and a brazilian?is one totally bare and one leaves a strip?i always get those mixed up. faith thanks for getting back to me after the exams ill treat myself to one i think see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

chuci wrote:
    whats the difference between a hollywood and a brazilian?is one totally bare and one leaves a strip?i always get those mixed up. faith thanks for getting back to me after the exams ill treat myself to one i think see how it goes

Hollywood is EVERYTHING off and Brazilian is a bit left
    http://www.brazilia.ie/femalemenu.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Faith wrote:

Thats promising, i'll definaltey go to her, i'll tell her i was sent by a very satisfied customer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Was interested in this as well... If you're getting waxed for the first time will you need to get a skin test and come back the next day? Or will they do it without this?

Femmy wrote:
    Thats promising, i'll definaltey go to her, i'll tell her i was sent by a very satisfied customer..

Just a warning, she tends to be quite busy, so make the appointment well in advance!

Could you do me a favour when you're in there, actually? Could you find out if she does back/shoulder massages, and how much they are? Don't worry if you don't remember though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

Hey, dont worry. Its not painful at all, if the lady is professional then dont worry. I do everything and first time i was so afraid that it will hurt. The lady kept me talking and i was so concentrated on the subject that i realised she did all her work in there. No pain at all, just a weird feeling and I do my arms as well.
    My skin was like a baby's skin and I stared all evening in the mirror. Couldnt understand why I didnt try it from the first time. :D
    Dont worry and enjoy your skin after. You will want to go again cos u will like ur skin after :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Ive been getting Brazilians for years... just wondering what is the best type of painkiller to take beforehand? Like neurofen or paracetamol or aspirin?? I really havent a clue about the type of pain theyre supposed to supress.....

Neurofen is for headaches. I'd say ibuprofen would be best, but I've never taken painkillers before waxing.

I just rang Rachel Coughlan to arrange a bikini wax, only to get her answering machine telling me that she's moved to Sunday's Well! That's no bloody good! Have to find a new waxer now :(.

• Advertisement
Advertisement