Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triple boot dilemma

• 01-05-2007 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently Have XP and Ubuntu playing nice together. I will upload some info on the partitions and how they are setup later on when I get home.

Anyhow, I just got a copy of Vista Home Premium and I'd like to install it. However I'd prefer not to have to reinstall XP if at all possible. Ubuntu I don't mind installing again as it is quite a basic installation I have setup at the minute.

Currently Grub is handling the boot process and allows me to pick between XP and Ubuntu. However I hear that Vista's bootloader will mess this up.

I don't mind too much if it removes Ubuntu and just leaves XP + Vista working fine. I'm sure I could delete the Ubuntu partition anyway and use it for storage or whatever but I'd really like it if I could get all three to play nice together.
    Now I now it's possible if I reinstall them all, I saw quite a few articles on how to do that but I was just wondering if anyone has been able to install Vista over an XP+Ubuntu install. and if so, how did they do it. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

I was dual booting XP and Mandrake using the GRUB Bootloader.

When I installed Vista it killed GRUB, but I was able to boot XP or Vista.

Then I reinstalled Mandrake, and am now able to triple boot Mandrake/XP/Vista using the GRUB bootloader again.

As you say, it doesn't take long to reinstall Linux.

Not sure about Ubantu as I haven't used it before, but I suppose it should work in the same way as Mandrake during Setup.
    Good luck with the project..

Icom..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Thanks. This definitely sounds like the best option. The only problem is my XP is a bit screwy at the mo

I installed catalyst 6.4 thinking it would help a problem I was having with a DVB-S card I have. but now the screen just goes black after XP boots and I can blind login and shutdown but the screen shows just black. monitor stays on.
    I booted into safe mode and installed latest catalysts - 7.4
    Still nothing on screen. Have almost decided to reinstall.... almost.... I'll probably wait until I have vista installed and then do a proper backup of XP and reinstall. ah, no , I can't do that because that will mess with vistas boot or XP will tell me that can't install under vista or something stupid like that.

Is there any chance I can install Vista, then install Xp, then install Ubuntu, and ubuntu will handle the booting? I doubt it.... maybe I'll just use ranish to hide the partitions from one another when installing Vista and XP and then unhide them before installing Ubuntu... ARGHHHHH I'm so confused... why can't it be easy? ;-)

Anyway, I found a good triple boot tutorial (below) and was gonna check it out but it looks like a lot of work, so I'll try to figure it out my own way.

Check out tutorial
    here

I'm going to backup all my important data before I try anything though. But I'd love it if everything just worked and there was no need to worry. Damn Microsoft waffle. wish the boot sequence and files etc. was more transparent. Does anybody have any links to tutorials on MBR/boot sequence/boot files/boot loaders etc.

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Advertisement