Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart line stats / improving speeds

Options
  • 01-05-2007 3:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I recently switched from ntl to Smart so I'm new to dsl/adsl. So far the Aolynk router has been syncing at around 3.5Mbps, sometimes a little less. Here are my current line stats:

Operational Mode G.Dmt.Bis
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 320000
    Rx Bit Rate 4551120
    Local SNRMargin 9.5 dB
    Local Line Attn 55.0 dB
    Local Tx Power 11.5 dB
    Remote Line Attn 31.5 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 30.0 dB

Can anyone explain these a bit better to me?

As I understand it at 55dB the line attenuation is very high, yet I'm still getting over 3MB. The SNR Margin fluctuates between 9 and 11dB (anything above 10 is good right?). From what I've read these stats would be considered bad but the speeds are pretty good and line seems stable so far. Is this normal?

Also any suggestions for testing the stability of the line? Or improving speeds?

Currently the modem is connected to the main phone box at the door via the flat phone cable provided with the router. Would a twisted pair cable improve things significantly? Or a higher quality micro-filter?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Also any suggestions for testing the stability of the line? Or improving speeds?

Currently the modem is connected to the main phone box at the door via the flat phone cable provided with the router. Would a twisted pair cable improve things significantly? Or a higher quality micro-filter?

Thanks

Post the stats here and you'll get a more authoritative answer.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spear wrote:
    Post the stats here and you'll get a more authoritative answer.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/
    Thanks but I already did last week and I didn't get much response from the admins. I also called tech support who kinda dismissed me and insisted I should be getting the full 4Mb; got the usual retard questions, is the modem plugged in etc.

I just thought there might be someone here with knowledge/experience of these things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks but I already did last week and I didn't get much response from the admins. I also called tech support who kinda dismissed me and insisted I should be getting the full 4Mb; got the usual retard questions, is the modem plugged in etc.

I just thought there might be someone here with knowledge/experience of these things.

Your stats are bad as you say but Smart use ADSL2 which is more forgiving.

It is unusual for the admins not to respond on the Smart forum - give them a chance - they can tweak your profile a bit if you wish which may stabilise your speeds. If it is any consolation you would get nowhere near those speeds with ordinary dsl and your line stats.

And I have just checked the smart forums and I wonder what exactly would satisfy you?:rolleyes:

You posted on the 25th April and one of the admins responded on the 26th April offering to put you on a remedial profile also several posters there made suggestions to you.

Advertisement