Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't ridden a bike in *years*

Options
  • 01-05-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I haven't cycled since I was about fourteen (over twenty years ago :eek: ) but have just been given a Raleigh something-that-starts-with-E 18-speed bike so have decided to try and get back to it, to try and get a bit fitter.

But all those years ago, a ten-speed bike was considered top-of-the-range. Do you regularly use all eighteen gears in normal road use? I imagine first is very, very low...

Any pointers for modern-day cycling for a near-as-dammit newbie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is get a helmet.

With regard to the gears, 18 should be more than enough.
    My bike has 27 but I really only use about 6 of those.

When you're cycling you want to try and keep a steady rhythm, I think the range would be between 65-80rpm.
    You adjust your gears so that you can maintain that rhythm.

How often you change gears will be determined by where you're cycling.
    I cycle on a bike trail with lots of little hills, so I change quite a bit.
    When I'm on the road though, I don't need to change gears very much.

Regarding fitness, obviously it will depend how much you're doing and something is always better than nothing.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I pretty much use all my gears (18 on the road, 24+ on the mtb). Some overlap, i.e. not each gear is unique. Most of the time I don't use the extremes, but I have done on occasion.

The general rule for gears is never to have it on the largest front ring and the largest back ring at the same time. Also never have it on the smallest front and smallest back. In other words, don't cross the chain. It puts undue strain on the chain and shortens it's life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Any pointers for modern-day cycling for a near-as-dammit newbie?

I wouldn't worry too much about gears when starting out again. The reason for the plethora of speeds is so you can maintain a good spinning cadence (pedal rotation speed) ~90rpm is good. Many gears allows you to keep a consistent cadence for differing terrain. It is probably something good to aim for when starting again, but not hugely important - most Dublin couriers only have one gear.
    For cycling in the city, there is a particular attitude which allows you to avoid many of the minor annoyances and potential incidents that seem to plague some people. A good place to learn about modern 'cycling as traffic' is in 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin. I would say this is probably more useful than a helmet ;)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Thanks for the replies.
    What should I pay for a reasonable quality helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Rule for Heavy Vehicles.
    Passing side -->
    <--- suicide
    (Cycle lanes or not, just don't go inside HGVs and busses!)

Other than that, make sure you're visible, get lights, a lock and a helmet (and make sure you fit it tight) and don't worry too much about staying to cycle lanes or blocking traffic, cycle in a way that ensures your safety.

EDIT: My helmet seems OK (never had to use it yet), cost about €50. Previous one saved my head from a nasty knock and cost about €40. Get a Snell certified one if you can, they're the only people who test them in a realistic fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Rule for Heavy Vehicles.
    Passing side -->
    <--- suicide
    (Cycle lanes or not, just don't go inside HGVs and busses!)

Other than that, make sure you're visible, get lights, a lock and a helmet (and make sure you fit it tight) and don't worry too much about staying to cycle lanes or blocking traffic, cycle in a way that ensures your safety.

pretty sound advice there. The HGV thing is so true, i once had the misfortune of taking the rhs of a big lorry (not hgv) and on the other side a bus came along. I didn't get a chance to react and the two boyos driving each decided to converge with me between them. My handlebar got jammed in the air vent at the back of the bus and then the lorry hit. The bike flipped and i went **right between the wheels of both** and somehow didn't get hit.

Sometimes you can be just unlucky and it's not your fault. Be alert to drivers' blindspots and in general use your common sense. If you're unsure about a junction or something hop off and walk the bike accross and take a look at how other cyclists do it(although some lead by very bad example).

Cycling's fun, and with the weather as it is at the moment it's really really enjoyable. Don't worry too much about gearing etc...If you're comfortable that's all that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

K!LL!@N wrote:
    First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is get a helmet.

Allow me to argue a different view. Safety breaks down into many variables. First I'd list the active components amongst those variables as the most important, rider awareness, attitude etc, last and least important I'd list passive measures such as helmets.

In fact the research done on the effectiveness of the protection that helmets are alledged to offer is on balance at best inconclusive, there are cases where wearing of a helmet caused various injuries.

What I'd warn against is a view that "with a helmet" = safe, and "without a helmet" = not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was glad I was wearing a helmet this morning when a bird flew into the side of my head! He packed a fair punch. Caught me just where the helmet ends so the helmet took some impact as well as my head. I can still feel it

Membrane wrote:
    What I'd warn against is a view that "with a helmet" = safe, and "without a helmet" = not safe.

Absolutely - knowing things like how to deal with heavy vehicles, how to assert yourself by always cycling at least 1 bike's width from the pavement, having a bell to ding pedestrians with when you see someone about to do something stupid, etc. is far more valuable than having a helmet. But... its still worth wearing one because sometimes circumstances get outside your control, and its worth knowing that there's something there to bear the brunt of the impact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

having a bell to ding pedestrians with when you see someone about to do something stupid, etc.
    I use screechy brakes

• Advertisement

Yeah, screechy brakes are actually very good for that sort of thing - I usually just shout at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Membrane wrote:
    Allow me to argue a different view. Safety breaks down into many variables. First I'd list the active components amongst those variables as the most important, rider awareness, attitude etc, last and least important I'd list passive measures such as helmets.

In fact the research done on the effectiveness of the protection that helmets are alledged to offer is on balance at best inconclusive, there are cases where wearing of a helmet caused various injuries.

I understand what you're saying but I never said the OP should get a helmet and go off and cycle recklessly.
    I just think, as many others do, that it's something that's worth having.
    Things can happen unexpectedly regardless of how good a cyclist you are.
    That bird hitting an earlier poster in the head being a good example.

I was recently out cycling with my wife and her parents. It was the first time we'd been out cycling with them and my wife commented to her mum about her not wearing a helmet.
    "I've been cycling for years and never had an accident" was her reply.
    She also mentioned she had a new pair of gloves that she didn't want because she ended up not wanting to wear them.
    Off we went on our cycle, on the way back I'd say about 1.5-2 miles from the end she suddenly took a tumble off the bike.
    Cut up her knee, her hands and took a slight knock on the head.

With regard to helmets causing injuries, I do recall hearing some horror stories of people breaking their necks due to wearing a helmet.

I'm sure risk compensation behaviour comes into play as well. People thinking that because they're wearing a helmet they're invincible etc.

On balance though, I'd be happier to wear one than not.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Mucco wrote:
    Many gears allows you to keep a consistent cadence for differing terrain. It is probably something good to aim for when starting again, but not hugely important - most Dublin couriers only have one gear.

Why is this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

K!LL!@N wrote:
    With regard to helmets causing injuries, I do recall hearing some horror stories of people breaking their necks due to wearing a helmet.
    A Helmet should be a Skid Lid. Some old types were just polystyrene foam with a cloth cover and would catch or crumble in tarmac. Today's ones have a thin shell to slide across the tarmac. The very old helmets had a thicker shell lighter but similar to motorbikes.

Don't forget that a bike helmet won't give you anywhere near as much protection as a motorbike one. If you fall off your bike then the bike helmet is OK. But if you get hit by a motorist at 40mph a bike helmet is better than nothing..

Why is this?
    much of Dublin City centre being fairly flat or with short hills.

Many though are fixed wheel. Means you have more control of the bike, can stop faster, can stay balanced at the lights better. Not for beginners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Thanks for the further advice.
    I'm in rural Galway and won't be commuting (yet) by bike, it's more for leisure/fitness in the evenings and weekends.
    I'd already decided that a helmet and reflective/fluorescent vest were necessities which I now have. I know that won't automatically make me 'safe', it will certainly help I'm sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I'm hijacking this thread, I'm learning to bike again myself after about 15 years off the bike. We went to the shop and I test drove a bike and I was so shaky! I'll be driving around our cul-de-sac with all the kids and their new bikes and they'll probably be teaching me stuff.

For instance, the last bike I had had a lever-type gear shift. I've never even seen the grip shifts before. I assume the shifting is the same, make sure you keep pedalling or you'll lose your chain, etc LOL

The bike I'm pretty sure I'm getting has 7 gears and I think that must be plenty (I'll be commuting when I'm back in the swing of things!).

I've just ordered cyclecraft too, it'll help me with all the angsty mummy traffic by the schools in the morning!

Advertisement