Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Minimal to buy?

Options
  • 01-05-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey i posted a thread here before bout wanting to buy a fibreglass board for beginner board... (thanks neon_glows) but i've doena bit more research and talkjed to some guys and i'm gonna get a 7"4 minimal... Only i've been searching and dont know what make to buy.. I hear Bic are ****? are all the rest ok... I'll most likely be buying second hand....

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

just found this site...
    http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk

Is there any Irish equivelent to this or where would i get a Beginner board here? I'm based in Cork and the surf shops only seem to supply fibreglass.

What should i do?

http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk/cgi-bin/miva?wcs/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=STO

How bout this for beginner ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have a 7'4" takeoff board. They are great, but really delicate! Maybe a circle one board might suit better?

thanks but what the difference?

where did u get ur board.. and is it ur first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Have you taken a look in Tubes lately Flynn? They have a huge range of new stock upstairs with some very reasonably priced epoxy boards. What about the other shops around Cork County (Ningaloo in Bandon, Offshore in Kinsale, GTown Surf Shop, Jellyfish in Clon)

To be honest I wouldn't spend too much on my first board, if you're fit and going out surfing/paddling regularly you won't really need it after a year or so. The Bic boards are a little heavier but they're rock solid. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're ****e at all.

All you need is a board with a bit of volume, something you can learn the basics on. It doesn't really matter too much if it's a fibreglass or epoxy or plastic. If I was you I'd take a look at the Buy & Sell on irishsurfer.net and find any old board in the 7'4-7'9 range at a reasonable price and go for it. They're all pretty much the same really and in a years time you'll either be selling it on or riding a different board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Flynn wrote:
    thanks but what the difference?

where did u get ur board.. and is it ur first?

Well, I have a circle one and it seems stronger. I both of them from a friend in the business. My first board was a circle one 9 foot long board, really easy to learn on.

• Advertisement

Enygma wrote:
    Have you taken a look in Tubes lately Flynn? They have a huge range of new stock upstairs with some very reasonably priced epoxy boards. What about the other shops around Cork County (Ningaloo in Bandon, Offshore in Kinsale, GTown Surf Shop, Jellyfish in Clon)

To be honest I wouldn't spend too much on my first board, if you're fit and going out surfing/paddling regularly you won't really need it after a year or so. The Bic boards are a little heavier but they're rock solid. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're ****e at all.

All you need is a board with a bit of volume, something you can learn the basics on. It doesn't really matter too much if it's a fibreglass or epoxy or plastic. If I was you I'd take a look at the Buy & Sell on irishsurfer.net and find any old board in the 7'4-7'9 range at a reasonable price and go for it. They're all pretty much the same really and in a years time you'll either be selling it on or riding a different board.

Cheers i didnt know there was any upstairs in Tubes... i'll check that out.. Yea i'm fit.. was taking to a guy who is surfing 10 years and he is same build he recommended 7"4 minimal.. so thats why i said i'd go with that.....

they've only just opened it up I think. they've got tons of new boards up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

NSP Surfboards are highly recommended,

They have a new model out called the Surf Series (its slightly bigger than what you looking for but the difference isnt huge) a 7'7" Surf Series costs around €319 compared to the normal 7'6" costing €400.

We have them in stock at our shop but we are not able to get another batch in till next year as they sold to shops so fast in the UK and the manufacture cant make them quick enough.

Circle One boards are on level with NSP surfboards, there a custom shaped epoxy board and iv had the pleasure of surfing both the Circle One 8'4" and NSP 8'6", i preferred the NSP board.

My little brother craig is really good at surfing and is now sponsored by Bill Atlee of Escape, Escape make fibreglass surfboards but have come out with new Vacuum boards, there seem to be similiar to epoxy but im not personally up to scratch on there make up yet, they are very light and to watch him surf it is crazy, he catches the waves so fast and so early, if you wanted one of these i know they will cost you alot of money.

Also worth a look at are NXS Surfboards, Cortez Surfboards and for a cheap alternative to a bic (bic not recommended, things are like boats) hifly surfboards.

Hope the info helps and its good to note that there are alot of second hand surfboards out there but from my experience if you want one ya got to get it qucik as these things sell so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I ride a Bic :eek: Seven foot nine inches of hard plastic with L plates. Have done for a over a year now and am still having a lot of fun on it. My pop ups are getting much smoother and I am getting the hang of turning it along the unbroken wave :D . I tried an epoxy board a while ago and I found it very difficult to pop up because of the lightness and speed and I just got frustrated. Try different types - see what works best for you ;)

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for all the replies..
    i checked out tubes today saw some boards... i think i've settled on one... It's an epoxy 7"4 and 2' 3/4 thick (this ok for 12 stone ya?) it's like the take off but it was cheaper at 365 which i think is pretty good as the second hand ones ive been looking at were in around 300 so it's not that bad... Red one with flower on it if anyone has been up there....

Sounds like that'll be fine for your size, those epoxy boards have loads of float so you should be able to catch waves on that really easily.
    They're strong too, but be careful if you ding it. Get it out of the water immediately and get it fixed. If they take on water they can get soft apparently. Fixing them is meant to be a cinch too. They should have epoxy repair kits in tubes, ask them to throw one in with board.

One of the lads got an epoxy in there recently and he's well happy with it. I'll probably get one too if they get quad fin shortboards in there.

ok cheers man will do..
    nice one for that..

Where is best spot to start out... I'm from waterford so anywhere in the southeast would be an option too.. ??

Garrettstown or Inchydoney are probably the best spots in Cork for beginners. I'd recommend staying away from Castlefreke for a while unless it's very small, it can pack quite a punch and will often hold you down for just a bit longer than you might be comfortable with!
    Tramore is probably the best place to start in Waterford, there's a good crew down there too, some of the best surfers in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 LisaW

We're just back from Donegal and spent Saturday morning surfing in Portballintrae (Antrim). Had a great time and have now decided it's time to buy my own board. But which to choose? The surf school had foam covering the boards, which I like the idea of being a learner and all! I've surfed fibreglass boards before and my god the bruises from my pelvic bones were awful!

So have found these ones... any opinions? Can't believe how cheap they are... for someone who is learning, would they be ok?

http://www.portwest.ie/proddetail.php?prod=W510

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 delfix

Hello Flynn sorry but I believe BIC are great board especially for beginners.
    I have started 4 years ago on a 7'3 (BIC) and then progressed to a standard fiberglass...
    BIC surfboard are good solid boards...you can do almost everything on them!
    if you are interested I am trying to sell my BIC longboard (8'4) nice board, with good volume, take off any possible waves especially summer powerless swells...
    let me know.
    nick

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

nick, u have a pm, i might be interested in ur board

cheers for that but i think i'll start with th 7'4...
    Looks like u sold it anyway tho!
    Thanks again

-flynn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

hey flynn dont forget to check out my shop if your nearby.

Advertisement