Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

app maths help

Options
  • 01-05-2007 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

excersise 13a

question 8

could someone tell what deltaM is and why its that?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Haven't looked at the exercise or anything but is it change in mass?

I could be 100% wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

delta M is infinitesimally small parts of M, with the summation it just turns into integration, so you needn't worry about its meaning that much.

I am however assuming that your problem was more specific to the question... I'm not counting rigid body rotation so I haven't practised too much but working off the theorem 13.4 with the disk I get this:

M = rho*area = rho * pi (R^2 - r^2)

divide the hoop into more infinitesimally small hoops with radius x and width deltax

if any hoop were cut out and the area measured, it would 2*pi*x*deltax

therefore, deltaM = rho*area = 2*pi*rho*x*deltax

now, I=EdeltaMr^2 = E2*pi*rho*x^3deltax
    the summation becomes integration, and as you might have guessed, our limits are R to r

S (R to r) 2*pi*rho*x^3 dx = [2*pi*rho*x^4/4](R to r)

= pi*rho/2 (R^4 - r^4) = pi*rho/2 (R^2 - r^2)(R^2 + r^2)
    = pi*rho(R^2 - r^2)*(R^2 + r^2)
    = M/2(R^2 + r^2)

i hope that makes it clear and fixes your problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Jrembin

cocoa wrote:
    delta M is infinitesimally small parts of M, with the summation it just turns into integration, so you needn't worry about its meaning that much.

I am however assuming that your problem was more specific to the question... I'm not counting rigid body rotation so I haven't practised too much but working off the theorem 13.4 with the disk I get this:

M = rho*area = rho * pi (R^2 - r^2)

divide the hoop into more infinitesimally small hoops with radius x and width deltax

if any hoop were cut out and the area measured, it would 2*pi*x*deltax

therefore, deltaM = rho*area = 2*pi*rho*x*deltax

thanks a bunch. this is just what i needed. seems so obvious now. :D

Advertisement