Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick on track for Luas service, claims Power

Options
  • 01-05-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=7814&category=Daily-Thu

Absolutely great news - Limerick is going to be the only City on the Planet to get a light-rail system before ever having gotten an efficient/viable Bus Service.

Despite being an election candidate, Peter Power has somehow found the time to promise the Citizens of Limerick City a "LUAS" service weeks before polling day - Limerick being the same City that goes against the Global norm by erecting brand new Bus Stops without providing a shelter for those who regularily wait 90 minutes in one of the wettest climates in the World for a Bus which may or may not arrive.

In a Country where National rail routes are less in number than the fingers on your Great Uncle Tony's left hand; Limerick is amazingly going to benefit by having trains whisk commuters around our streets like something outta Battlestar Galactica.

Peter Power and Fianna Fail are obviously so well funded and supported that despite my eternal gratitude to Railroad-Pete I am going to make sure my votes are very far removed from Petes polling card selection box next May 24th in order to support the underdogs :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You'd think that there was an election coming up!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

We don't need one. We need a quality bus service and maybe a better commuter rail system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

Raiser wrote:
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=7814&category=Daily-Thu

Absolutely great news - Limerick is going to be the only City on the Planet to get a light-rail system before ever having gotten an efficient/viable Bus Service.

Despite being an election candidate, Peter Power has somehow found the time to promise the Citizens of Limerick City a "LUAS" service weeks before polling day - Limerick being the same City that goes against the Global norm by erecting brand new Bus Stops without providing a shelter for those who regularily wait 90 minutes in one of the wettest climates in the World for a Bus which may or may not arrive.

In a Country where National rail routes are less in number than the fingers on your Great Uncle Tony's left hand; Limerick is amazingly going to benefit by having trains whisk commuters around our streets like something outta Battlestar Galactica.

Peter Power and Fianna Fail are obviously so well funded and supported that despite my eternal gratitude to Railroad-Pete I am going to make sure my votes are very far removed from Petes polling card selection box next May 24th in order to support the underdogs :rolleyes:

Just so ya Know, nouns Aren't Capitalised in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Maybe he's german and is used to giving nouns capitals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I think he should go back to being Spiderman and let the politics to the non mutants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Just so you know Hogmeister B, proper nouns are capitalised in the English language - In my experience, the lowest common denominator around here can often be found polluting threads with lame posts such as yours. You contribute absolutely nothing, an irritation akin to a particularily low-IQ Mosquito, but with a keyboard and an Internet connection.

Now I would never condescend to fellow posters by criticising their spelling or grammar - considering such behaviour to be arrogant and irritating......But having been provoked, I now note that your posts on Boards.ie are almost incomprehensible due to poor spelling, punctuation and (as already noted) a tenuous grasp of the basic mechanics of grammar.

You also have a very rude and extremely irritating habit of posing questions on Boards.ie without having the manners to respond to well-intentioned replies with a thank you or even the sort of low-brow Tossers reply you've so capably put forth on this thread.

- Since this is a localised topic, and purely based on a hunch - Were you the guy that used to sit at the back of my English class, sticking his ruler down his pants so that he could sniff the end afterwards?

P.S. Apologies in advance if my spelling and/or grammar are not up to the very highest standards as expected by the very lowest of our contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Raiser wrote:
    Just so you know Hogmeister B, proper nouns are capitalised in the English language - In my experience, the lowest common denominator around here can often be found polluting threads with lame posts such as yours. You contribute absolutely nothing, an irritation akin to a particularily low-IQ Mosquito, but with a keyboard and an Internet connection.

I'm going to have to disagree. Proper nouns are only capitalised in the case that they've been referred to previously in name. (e.g. Where did you go to university?: I graduated from the University of Limerick; the University there is very well established.)

English is not like German which capitalises all nouns. And only nouns with particular reference to a particular institution are capitalised in English. Why capitalise internet and not keyboard?

Anyhow. BACK ON TOPIC

Peter has been on the Oireachtas Joint Transport Committee for a number of years now. This is not a new issue; it's been discussed before and all of the major cities are having feasability studies done as part of Transport21.

In fairness it makes more sense as traffic can't get in the way of a train or tram. I'm all for it. BTW I know Pete fairly well and he's not the type of guy that's going to go making crappy promises or proposals that have no substance. It is likely that we'll see a lot of rail services from the 19th century re-open in the next 3-5 years as more and more people move further and further from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

ninty9er wrote:
    I'm going to have to disagree. Proper nouns are only capitalised in the case that they've been referred to previously in name. (e.g. Where did you go to university?: I graduated from the University of Limerick; the University there is very well established.)

English is not like German which capitalises all nouns. And only nouns with particular reference to a particular institution are capitalised in English. Why capitalise internet and not keyboard?

Sir, with respect, your views on proper nouns are improper.

ninty9er wrote:
    Anyhow. BACK ON TOPIC

Peter has been on the Oireachtas Joint Transport Committee for a number of years now. This is not a new issue; it's been discussed before and all of the major cities are having feasability studies done as part of Transport21.

In fairness it makes more sense as traffic can't get in the way of a train or tram. I'm all for it. BTW I know Pete fairly well and he's not the type of guy that's going to go making crappy promises or proposals that have no substance. It is likely that we'll see a lot of rail services from the 19th century re-open in the next 3-5 years as more and more people move further and further from the city.

Anyhow, just to get back on topic indeed...... :)

To conduct a feasability study does not necessarily mean that the subject of such a study has any merit, is reasonable or indeed will ever become an actual reality.

For example I could inform all and sundry [prior to an election or otherwise] that I intend to conduct a feasability study to pioneer methods for farming Sea Trout in my ear-holes in order to feed the voting population of Limerick.

- Even if I should further announce that other individuals are doing the same and that it would indeed be advantageous and economical to produce a tasty source of fishy food from ones ears, the notion is of course both preposterous and ridiculous - much like Peters promise of a "Luas" for Limerick.
    ninty9er wrote:
    Peter has been on the Oireachtas Joint Transport Committee for a number of years now.
    Ssssshhhh !!! Not many people would admit to that accusation I'm sure :eek: - A friend of mine comes from Mayo and works in Limerick. He visited his Granny a while back and she asked pleasantly how was life, work, Limerick etc. He said things were fine......She then asked if he was getting the train every time he came home to Ballina..........If things keep "progressing" at their current rate maybe the Joint Transport Committee will be recommending tax-breaks on Donkey Carts.

Capitalize proper nouns and adjectives. Do not capitalize common nouns.

A proper noun is the name of a particular person (Samuel Curtis), place (Illinois), or thing (Zest soap).

A proper adjective is a word made from a proper noun.

A common noun names an entire class of persons, places, or things.

Common Noun___________Proper Noun_____________Proper Adjective

country_________________England_________________English

philosopher______________Plato___________________Platonic

queen__________________Victoria_________________Victorian

Do not capitalize prefixes, suffixes, or other words that are attached to proper nouns (pro-, un-, anti-, -speaking).

un-American_____________pro-Italian______________French-speaking

Common nouns that are part of proper nouns are capitalized.

Part of Noun___________________Not Part of Noun

Michigan Avenue Bridge__________a bridge in Chicago

New York State_________________the state of New York

Mississippi Valley________________the valley of the Mississippi River

Wabash River___________________a river in Indiana

Everyone happy now?!

Back to the imaginary Luas then!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Meh, me wants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Bus lanes Luas my god I tell you it will be hovercars for all next.

On topic though I mean please god spend the money on train lines to galway. A light urban rail system is not needed. As the op points out surely better to have a working city transport system first.

Is there any more news on the new bus station or has that dissappeared

sioda wrote:
    Bus lanes Luas my god I tell you it will be hovercars for all next.

On topic though I mean please god spend the money on train lines to galway. A light urban rail system is not needed. As the op points out surely better to have a working city transport system first.

Is there any more news on the new bus station or has that dissappeared

While neither Cork, Limerick, or Galway currently need a light rail system, that won't long be the case.

If Ireland's population continues to grow as it is currently, within 15-20 years these kinds of transport systems would be necessary.
    Isn't it better to put them in place now, with minimum disruption, than have to tear up the cities in a couple of decades, when the traffic situation is even worse.
    The government is very rich now, and has the opportunity to do something for the future, so I hope that it does take these steps, especially in the bigger cities of Cork and Limerick.

As for the bus service, didn't we just get €6.8 million a few days ago to upgrade the Limerick city bus service.
    You have to wait more than two days for change people!:rolleyes:

The new bus station is still planned, but they have to wait for the selling off of land at the back of the current train station in order to partially fund it, I think.
    It should start around the same time as the stadium development in Jackman park as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If you people want to argue over spelling and punctuation, take it to the english language forum.

This thread is over, if the OP wishes to start a new one on Peter Power's promise of LUAS for Limerick, he is more than welcome to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement