Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor now Roaming to vodafone not O2

• 01-05-2007 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Seems as of today that in areas where Meteor still has no coverage that mobiles are now roaming onto vodafone ie, up here in Donegal, My meteor phone has always roamed to O2, but was getting network busy all day so tried another meteor sim I had here to see if it was a network problem, but it worked but was roaming on vodafone, tried the original sim again and manually set it to vodafone and it works again,

So have they signed a new roaming agreement with vodafone??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

The Roaming deal with o2 was meant to finish at the end of feb but it didn't meteor signed a deal with vodafone.
    Mobile operator Meteor has signed a three-year roaming agreement with Vodafone.

Vodafone will supply the Eircom-owned company with 2G and 2.5G (GPRS) roaming services in areas of the west coast.

This is from http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1114/meteor.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That was signed last year and started on Feb 28th. There was just some O2 masts left working but all of those will be gone from midnight tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I've noticed that too. But it has recently enough gone to both o2 and vodafone!?!?!

Please see my post for an explanation of why both O2 and Vodafone could be chosen. It's just Voda now.

Does the vodafone network deal work in similar areas as the o2 deal?(or has it changed) As of this deal i have lost all coverage of o2 and cannot connect to vodafone. Will it take time for it to work or am i stuck with limited coverage?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 munster22

Manually select Vodafone and it should work, if its going through tonight thers bound to be at least 45 million teething problems that were overlooked

Ok i have tried manual selecting it but it's not working.I'll wait a wee bit longer and hope that it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Pyro Boy wrote:
    Ok i have tried manual selecting it but it's not working.I'll wait a wee bit longer and hope that it works.
    If it doesnt work you might have concider porting to O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Shredneck wrote:
    If it doesnt work you might have concider porting to O2.
    i'm getting the feeling that you work for o2 since at least 38 of your 39 posts have been about how great o2 is. you might try either being more subtle about it or paying for advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

loll ^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

i'm getting the feeling that you work for o2 since at least 38 of your 39 posts have been about how great o2 is. you might try either being more subtle about it or paying for advertising

That's a bit unfair. O2 launched an i-mode service nobody wanted and they've built a 3G network but can't figure out what to do with it. Sometimes they innovate so much that they even match some of Vodafone's products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

imode is indeed a hard one to market lol.
    As for the 3G network, it will get plenty of use eventually. HSDPA services I believe are at 16QAM ( 3.6Mbps ) already. And with the Huawei E220 now working correctly on Vista, things are looking good :-)

as for his comment about porting to O2 , 'If' he cant get a good vodafone signal where he lives, and meteor dont build their own mast, then he probably would be better off, since he 'knows' he had an O2 signal at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

JNive wrote:
    imode is indeed a hard one to market lol.
    As for the 3G network, it will get plenty of use eventually. HSDPA services I believe are at 16QAM ( 3.6Mbps ) already. And with the Huawei E220 now working correctly on Vista, things are looking good :-)

as for his comment about porting to O2 , 'If' he cant get a good vodafone signal where he lives, and meteor dont build their own mast, then he probably would be better off, since he 'knows' he had an O2 signal at least.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

JNive wrote:
    there were teething problems in the first few days with switching roaming deals. hardly a reason to drop your network altogether.

and that comment alone wouldn't have aroused suspicion if he occasionally mentioned something other than how good o2 is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi, did you ring customer care in Meteor to alert them to your query? For these roaming agreements specific sites (masts) are chosen & agreed between the operators. It is not a case of Meteor now has access to all f Vodafone's network. Where possible Meteor would prefer to have as many calls go through their own sites as this is more profitable. For every call that is routed through Vodafone's network Vodafone will charge Meteor. So Meteor would have been very careful to choose the right sites to roam on to to get the balance of coverage and revenue right.
    There are a number of things that could be wrong in your area:
    1. The agreement might not include the site in your area
    2. Vodafone have no coverage there (get a friend with a Vodafone SIM to verify etherway)
    3. The site for the area is on the agreement but has not been correctly linked to the Meteor network (try turn off & on your phone to see if it makes a difference)
    4. The cut over to Vodafone roaming may only be in the process of occurring
    so there could have been a cock-up in datafill on either Vodafone's sideor Meteor. (Customer care will have the answer here or will at least verify with the engineering team).
    5. If it doesn't work out then you may indeed have to port to another network, you know O2 works there so at least there is a back up plan, but don't rule out all the options yet.

I will ring customer care after the bank holiday and alert them to the problem (if it isn't already fixed by then) I thought since my area was covered by the o2 deal that my are would qualify for the vodafone deal .Vodafone has the best reception follow by o2 and then meteor coverage is very low in my area. I'm not thinking of leaving meteor.

on a side note when i first heard about the deal i contacted meteor and asked why i couldn't connect to vodafone and i could still connect to o2. This was before i knew that it hadn't switched over. The reason meteor gave me was that my sim card was too old and i would have to buy a new one at my expense to connect to the vodafone network.(which didn't work because it they hadn't started to switch over) Was there any truth in what meteor said? does the sim card have anything to do with it? (old sim card= 3 years old)

Pyro Boy wrote:
    I will ring customer care after the bank holiday and alert them to the problem (if it isn't already fixed by then) I thought since my area was covered by the o2 deal that my are would qualify for the vodafone deal .Vodafone has the best reception follow by o2 and then meteor coverage is very low in my area. I'm not thinking of leaving meteor.

on a side note when i first heard about the deal i contacted meteor and asked why i couldn't connect to vodafone and i could still connect to o2. This was before i knew that it hadn't switched over. The reason meteor gave me was that my sim card was too old and i would have to buy a new one at my expense to connect to the vodafone network.(which didn't work because it they hadn't started to switch over) Was there any truth in what meteor said? does the sim card have anything to do with it? (old sim card= 3 years old)

It actually is true, well most of it. Check the first 4 digits of your sim card. It should be 0522. If it's not , you should update the sim. It is free of charge. Just tell the store you are upgrading the sim for national roaming and you should not be charged.

Ok i've already done it when i bought a new phone from them recently , it's good to know that it is free thanks.

Advertisement