Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found lost dog.

Options
  • 01-05-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I was walking my dobies this morning and I saw this little young shepard type dog following a lady with a pram. Naturally I assumed it was her dog but as soon as I passed this little dog followed me. I thought it strange that this lady did not call her dog so waited as I had seen in the distance she was walking back towards me.

As she passed I asked her was it her dog and she said no. The dog seemed weary and malnurished but was very friendly and obviously a lost pet. As usual there was no collar on him and after enquiring without success in the locality to see if anyone knew the dog I took it to the vet to see if it was chipped - of course it was not.

So pending finding its owner its at home with me but the two dobies are not very impressed with this development so I am not sure they will accept it if I decide to keep it which I would love to.

According to the vet its a three month old cross between a sheepdog and terrier. Its female and as can be seen in the pics can be distinguished by having one ear standing upright while the other is down. Also she has a white front right paw.

This dog is obviously from people with a young family as she tries to follow young people with babies and prams etc.

Will do more enquiring locally, place adds, inform the gardai and local vets etc. Hopefully I can find the owner as even though I would love to keep her others in this family are not so keen on the idea. :(

Oops forgot to say where I found it - along the canal at Blennerville - just outside Tralee at about 12:30pm this evening.

Here are some pics taken this evening. ;)

IMAG0055800x600.jpg
    IMAG0054800x600.jpg
    IMAG0053800x600.jpg
    IMAG0052800x600.jpg
    IMAG0051800x600.jpg
    IMAG0050800x600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

aww cute... also put up notices on
    www.lostandfound.ie
    and
    www.petsireland.invisionzone.com

Definitely looks like someone's pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Shes gorgeous, well done for bringing her home, lots of people wouldnt have taken the trouble. Contact your local dog warden or pound as well because theres a procedure to follow if you want to keep her yourself. I dont blame you for being tempted, shes a little dote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

fits wrote:
    aww cute... also put up notices on
    www.lostandfound.ie
    and
    www.petsireland.invisionzone.com

Definitely looks like someone's pet.

Done - pending registration confirmation with pets Ireland.

Its a hard decision to make to take a stray dog home as many dogs can walk around their own locality without any problem - it just this one looked starved and had some scars around its eyes and really looked lost - almost pleading with me to rescue her.
    Sure enough when I went to get water for her she pulled the tray out of my hand and I had to control her feeding as she was gulping it down.
    I am thinking it may be from one of the farms around the area as i got a slight smell of farm yard manure from her even though her coat is quite clean. :confused:

Forgot to mention that she has a distinctive drooped nose - bull dog style.

Then again she may have been just abandoned. I am amazed at the negative reaction to female dogs around here - probably too mean to spend money getting them spayed. Pity as she is a right little character - already promoting herself to chief watch dog.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

She's lovely. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

While the dog looks good in the pics she has a weather worn face with a lot of small scars. Obviously the vagrant life is tough for dogs too. That she has retained her sweet loving nature is testament to her good character.

However I was alarmed at her breathing last night while sleeping so I took her to the vet today.She was panting - a shallow and very rapid breathing pattern. Quite uncomfortable to watch her obviously suffering - and in such heat too.
    She is running a temperature of 104 and the vet thinks its pnuemonia. She is on an intensive course of anti-biotics until Monday when her condition will again be reviewed.

What endears me to this little dog is that she must have gone through so much and visibly did her best to get me to take her home. I like initiative. Hopefully she will make a good recovery. :)

Just occurred to me it could be sun stroke? - anybody know the symptoms for dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Good on ya for taking care of her Alfa

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

However I was alarmed at her breating last night while sleeping so I took her to the vet today.She was panting - a shallow and very rapid breathing pattern. Quite uncomfortable to watch her obviously suffering - and in such heat too.
    She is running a temperature of 104 and the vet thinks its pnuemonia. She is on an intensive course of anti-biotics until Monday when her condition will again be reviewed.

Fair play to you Alfa. You're brilliant to do all this for her. I hope her owners come forward... and every attempt should be made to find them, but I wouldnt be surprised if you dont find them in this case.

I took in (another) stray in January... and while I found a home for her in the UK quite quickly, and organised transport quite quickly too, it was an absolute pain in the bum finding fosterers for her (I couldnt mind her myself) until she could travel.

The petsireland site is great, you might be able to get support from a local rescue on the site. The only one I can think of in Kerry atm is Kerry greyhound connection, but they should be able to put you in touch with someone.

Advertisement