Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence worry

Options
  • 01-05-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

As you might know I have a licence application in for a .22 rifle. The problem I have is the local SF party have put up a poster on a ESB pole on my property. Would this get me into trouble with the super and get my application turned down? I am no way affiliated with SF in anyway.

Or am I just a bit paranoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Can't see how it would affect your application. The super is not going to drive out to your house and look to see what posters are up around your property. No way could you be refused on the grounds of a political parties poster being up on your property. I know SF have a reputation and history but if you are neither involved with them or any type of gang/paramilitary org then you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Go and remove the poster if it is on your property and you didnt give permission to put it up if it worries you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Bond-007 wrote:
    As you might know I have a licence application in for a .22 rifle.

How long have you been waiting ? (Out of interest)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

4 weeks and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Bond-007 wrote:
    4 weeks and counting.

Thats not that long trust me!!!

• Advertisement

How long should I wait before chasing it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Id give him/her(the fao) a ring but dont pester too much im sure the lads can give you better pointers my two licences came through relatively hassle free bond!! Like a said id give him/her a ring to check up!

It is a 2 garda rural station and they are pretty hard to get hold of. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Bond-007 wrote:

ring the main station and get the fo mobile .thats what i did and he was fine with me ringing him (i got my licence in 2 half weeks)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bond-007 wrote:

It generally takes 6-8 weeks for the first licence to come through.A SF poster isnt going to affect your chances in the slightest,the rules prohibiting people from obtaining licences nearly all pertain to serving prison terms.Dont worry about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Degsy wrote:
    A SF poster isnt going to affect your chances in the slightest

Not today it's not, and not for anything not on the restricted list. So for the OP, not a problem.

In more general terms though, well, I may be worrying a bit, but I think in the near future it could. See these comments from the Minister during the CJB debates:
    Mr. McDowell: ... (talking about the new law that says commissioners may issue guidelines) ...
    While some guidelines may be the proper subject of public scrutiny, others may not. Let us suppose, for example, that the Commissioner were, on security grounds, to say that applications from people who live very close to persons who have serious crime propensities should be examined with great caution. He or she may not want to put such information into the public domain for the guidance of those people who are the object of the direction itself. There are some kinds of guidelines that the Commissioner may wish to issue, on security grounds, for particular reasons but it may not be appropriate that——

Mr. J. O’Keeffe: Is the Minister saying that a law-abiding citizen could be penalised because he or she lives near a criminal?

Mr. Howlin: That is extraordinary.

Mr. McDowell: I am saying to the Deputy, yes, very definitely——

Mr. Howlin: The law-abiding citizen could be penalised and that fact could be kept a secret.

Mr. J. O’Keeffe: That is exactly the type of guideline that the ordinary citizen should be made aware of.

Mr. McDowell: The Deputies are ignoring the fact that the Commissioner may want to issue security-related guidelines but he or she should not have to put them into the public domain just for the curiosity of the Deputies who wish to see how the matter is being dealt with. The Commissioner may want, at a particular time because of a particular perceived threat, to issue a particular guideline and it is not reasonable in those circumstances to say——

Mr. Howlin: That is extraordinary.

Mr. McDowell: It is not extraordinary. It is perfectly reasonable. It will achieve a uniform policy across the country and allow the Commissioner to have an input into the decision making by Superintendents. I do not think that every aspect should be secret. I appreciate that if the Commissioner said something very general like, “be careful about younger applicants”, that would not have any security implications. However, there could well be security-driven guidelines which the Commissioner would not want to put into the public domain.

I agree with the EU Commissioner, Mr. McCreevy, that sometimes transparency is taken too far in this country.

" I agree with the Eu Comissionner mr Mac Creevy that transperancy is taken too far in this country."

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:rolleyes: :eek:

God Bless him! If he ever thinks of quitting politics he will make a great comedian!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd laugh CG, but I've heard exactly the same thing said by our own people in our own meetings in the past. It's not a mindset exclusive to politicians :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just thinking, those election posters will make mighty fine targets.
    Ill trade you my McDowell for your Harney :D

Sparks wrote:
    I'd laugh CG, but I've heard exactly the same thing said by our own people in our own meetings in the past. It's not a mindset exclusive to politicians :(

Well, it is about high time that we stop being such a paranoid secret society in Govt and public issues.Didnt somone get elected on openness and transperancy here ,once:rolleyes: ???

Advertisement