Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

dan719 wrote:
    Wow your capable of 600 points. So am I and so are a lot of people. Not only that but by repeating you disqualify yourself for entrance scholarships to ucd and trinity. As well as wasting a year of your life. Surely your energies would be better directed at achieving a first class honours in your chosen degree. Something which I believe would be much more impressive then 600 in a exam that rewards rote learning more then natural ability.

My sentiments exactly.
    Besides, Employers really dont care about LC results if you can prove yourself by working hard and gaining experience, and/or by obtaining decent College results if you choose to do so.
    One of my cousin's got a whopping 220 points in his LC and is currently awaiting his first class honours degree in Marketing following his initial PLC course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

Selphie wrote:
    Need 530-ish to be very safe for Law and French in UCC. Got 480 in the mocks. Not sure if I can get it really, though I plan to try very hard.

I would expect Law And French in UCC to go down this year, Applications are down 17%,

Just a quick question.
    Where are people getting these applications statistics?
    Please, enlighten me:)

Can't reveal my sources now can I,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

If only your maturity could match your claimed intelligence boger. I don't see the point in wasting a year of your life if you get less than 600 points, just to say you did? Come on...why bother? That's cutting your nose off to spite your face right there, then again the extra year or 3 could help you prepare your social skills for college.

• Advertisement

Hopkirk wrote:
    Can't reveal my sources now can I,

Please:D:D:D
    Maybe I should search the papers or Unison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

It's common knowledge that points're expected to go down this year in nearly all sectors bar medicine, law etc. Less people doing the leaving apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Hopkirk wrote:
    I would expect Law And French in UCC to go down this year, Applications are down 17%,

modest wisdom plucks me from oer credulous haste

what is the source of this blessed statistic?

*prays for it to be true*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Hopkirk wrote:

Whaaaat??? Oh, how I would absolutely love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

It's common knowledge that points're expected to go down this year in nearly all sectors bar medicine, law etc. Less people doing the leaving apparently.

I believe I may have read the same source as Hopkirk, or a similar one and according to it, there are more people doing the Leaving this year than last year (last year was the lowest in a few years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/content.htm

Eh, choose the years of applicant statistics 2006 and 2007. Last year, 89,000 and something applicants overall, this year, 91,000 and something applicant overall.

What I'm interested in is arts and humanities, only 33 more people put it down first choice this year, not much...

So, would I be right in saying that the stats shown there are fairly generalised? Like, for example, Arts and Social Sciences seems to have had more 1st preferences this year, but that might only be due to more people being interested in something like Arts in UCD and could still mean a drop in seomthing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Need 360 for business and Spanish in DCU, got 400 in the mocks so amn't too scared. Was going for BESS in Trinity as I was being a snob and wanted to go to Trinity for the hell of it but they weren't offering much in the way of languages I could realistically do. Since I didn't do French or German in school I would have had to have taken up Russian instead and that didn't appeal to me at all.

penguin88 wrote:
    I believe I may have read the same source as Hopkirk, or a similar one and according to it, there are more people doing the Leaving this year than last year (last year was the lowest in a few years)

There is an increase in Level 8 degree applicants, up 3% to about 55,000. I have the specific course numbers for UCC,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I need 550 for my first choice but tbh if i get any of my top 3 choices ill be fine . Over 400 should be fine. Im just worried about passing the non-english languages. ( DAMN U IRISH AND FRENCH DAMN YOU)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Need about 400-450 to be safe I think. Bit worried, got around 370 in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

rozabeez,

how dare you post a comment like that, and the worst thing about it is that your a moderator. can yous not get this in to your bloody heads its my own choice what i want to do with my education and what i want to get. so get your noses out of i am an asshole mode

boger wrote:
    rozabeez,

how dare you post a comment like that, and the worst thing about it is that your a moderator. can yous not get this in to your bloody heads its my own choice what i want to do with my education and what i want to get. so get your noses out of i am an asshole mode
    :eek:

Asshole's only one of your modes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Rozabeez wrote:
    If only your maturity could match your claimed intelligence boger. I don't see the point in wasting a year of your life if you get less than 600 points, just to say you did? Come on...why bother? That's cutting your nose off to spite your face right there, then again the extra year or 3 could help you prepare your social skills for college.

Self-fulfillment. Some people are intent on achieving the best, even if it is unecessary and consumes every other aspect of their life. Personally, I dont see what the big deal is! If thats how he wants to justify his self-worth then let him do it! I'm not sure why it bothers you so much?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

k going back to the topic..i got 475 on my pres and hoping to do law with french at ucc..so hopefully things wil go well... the interest has dropped so in the course? how bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

k going back to the topic..i got 475 on my pres and hoping to do law with french at ucc..so hopefully things wil go well... the interest has dropped so in the course? how bad!!

Hey, we're in the same boat, you and I.
    How much are you aiming for, to be safe? Do you feel confident you'll get the extra points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

boger wrote:
    rozabeez,

What are you actually doing? How many points did you det in your mocks? I still think your decision is ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Rozabeez wrote:
    LOL.

And how many years of your life are you willing to waste if you don't get that the first few times?

wise words there my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Hey! I put down law with french law at UCD.... need to get 530-540 really to secure a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hopkirk wrote:
    There is an increase in Level 8 degree applicants, up 3% to about 55,000. I have the specific course numbers for UCC,

Hi man, could you tell me if there is an increase/decrease in the number of students going for physics and astrophysics? I changed my 1st choice to that so add me to the new applicants! The course hovers between 430 and 485, would be handy which way the scales are tipping this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

ahh im the first out of 64 to vote in the 100-200 category.......... 165 ;)

i got 415 in the mocks... so i think i should be ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

Self-fulfillment. Some people are intent on achieving the best, even if it is unecessary and consumes every other aspect of their life. Personally, I dont see what the big deal is! If thats how he wants to justify his self-worth then let him do it! I'm not sure why it bothers you so much?:confused:

tank you analyse this, sorry about my outburst its just comments like that that annoys, somebody assked me this, im planning to do law at queens university belfast, i think i roughly need about490-500 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Rozabeez wrote:

haha, exactly. repeating when you get 570 in order to get 600 is not 'education' boger its stupidity, wont make a difference for your course and nobody will think any more/less of you for it either
    boger wrote:
    rozabeez,

we're not trying to annoy you*, but your idea is just so... pointless and idiotic, what would you expect as a response? Maybe you have it in the back of your mind, but there is NO WAY you will repeat the whole year just for the sake of upping your (high points) to 600, absolutely no way, I am 100% certain.

*although it's 'you're not 'your'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If someone wants to do something for themself and it's not harming anyone else, why do you care?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Because he's clearly bullshítting.

Advertisement