Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah, I think he is. It's more laughable than annoying. Even if he does actually go ahead and repeat, it's is business to waste a year for no reason at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Because he's clearly bullshítting.

Bingo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

md99 wrote:
    haha, exactly. repeating when you get 570 in order to get 600 is not 'education' boger its stupidity, wont make a difference for your course and nobody will think any more/less of you for it either

570 will get you a scholarship in certain places. What's 600 going to get you? A statistic. A mention in your local paper maybe. But nobody's going to give a crap about the results about three weeks after they come out.
    Your dedication is inspiring, and I'd really like to get 600 myself, but being realistic, I don't see it happening and I'm not prepared to put myself through the Leaving again, or to make my parents pay for it. If you don't get it the second or third time.... what happens then?
    Be happy with what you get, I'd say.

Good lot of people looking for over 500 points *crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

Selphie wrote:
    Hey, we're in the same boat, you and I.
    How much are you aiming for, to be safe? Do you feel confident you'll get the extra points?

haha gud stuff...hopefully see u there!:) im not sure what im aiming for exactly...as high as possible really, ya know urself! what about u? i was debating for a wile between applied psychology and law with french..went to the second open day at ucc and decided on law and french...eventually. so hopefuly twil be the right choice!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

just to make this clear if i dont get 600 points the first time i would only repeat once, 600 points can get you a lot of things in financial aid and guys you dont need to worry about my financial circumstances,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

boger wrote:
    just to make this clear if i dont get 600 points the first time i would only repeat once, 600 points can get you a lot of things in financial aid and guys you dont need to worry about my financial circumstances,

Fact. I know roughly ten people who got six hundred points and recieved nothing financially.

I know(of) someone who scored 540 and won an easter 1916 scholarship- 7500 a year for every year she wishes to remain in college.

And since your financial situation is so merry, you can hardly offer financial considerations as an acceptable reason to repeat. I personally think you should repeat. You don't have the emotional maturity or cop on for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

boger wrote:
    tank you analyse this, sorry about my outburst its just comments like that that annoys, somebody assked me this, im planning to do law at queens university belfast, i think i roughly need about490-500 points

maybe hes from Ubekestan or somewhere....limited english skills and apparently no real clue of the leaving cert system...and "boger" is just a decoy name...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

dan719 wrote:
    I personally think you should repeat. You don't have the emotional maturity or cop on for college.

You don't even know him.

some people..

Nehpets wrote:
    You don't even know him.

some people..

Do you honestly believe someone who claims they will repeat because of not scoring 600 is ready to go to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What I do find to be strange is that MOST people on here NEED 500+ points?

• Advertisement

Its because we are all over-achievers and quite nerdy also!:D I think.

haha gud stuff...hopefully see u there!:) im not sure what im aiming for exactly...as high as possible really, ya know urself! what about u? i was debating for a wile between applied psychology and law with french..went to the second open day at ucc and decided on law and french...eventually. so hopefuly twil be the right choice!!:D

Hopefully anyways! *fingers crossed for both of us!!* It was the same with me really. I had my mind made up for Arts till a couple of weeks ago, then I just changed my mind totally, and went to the second open day too which changed my mind.
    The points were 500 last year, but there isn't that many places. So, I'm working like mental to get as high as possible and praying and praying and praying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I need about 360 to do Arts in UCC. i am only doing it though as something to do before I try and join the Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

boards.ie/leaving cert = GEEKS ARE US !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

awhir wrote:
    Internet geeks = DCU Computer Applications = about 300 points.

It's amazing how the Celtic Tiger society has made people want to get high points courses simply because they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

awhir wrote:

that explains your presence here i guess...
    .Murderer. wrote:
    What's strange about it? I think for a lot of it is down to interest, obviously someone aiming for 500+ will have a lot more interest/concern in their education than someone aiming for much lower... OR someone who is just gonna cruise into their coures coz they're fairly smart and only need average points. And... that's why they come on here, out of interest, while lots who DONT care wont even think of using this board... Not everyone who aims for over 500 gets it, but there's a huge number every year who NEED it for their no. 1 choice...
    Nehpets wrote:
    You don't even know him.

some people..
    Of course he doesn't know him, but he doesn't have that much else to go by, does he?

It's his personal choice and I don't think it reflects his maturity - but maybe it does. I don't know him either :D

I'm not aiming for 500+ because I don't need it and I don't study enough. It would be too late now anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

never too late nehpets!!!:)

I'm too lazy anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

md99 wrote:

Of course he doesn't know him, but he doesn't have that much else to go by, does he?

Exactly!!Which would be all the more reason not to say anything at all!!

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote:
    Its because we are all over-achievers and quite nerdy also!:D I think.

here here...im sure one of us can think of an equation that will summarise our being here......something along the lines of

S=tp+35

where S is the amount of time spent, t=points needed and p= the individual....35 is just a random number!!

:):D:)

S is days?

S = (600)(1)+35

So 635 days! which means you should have been studying in 5th year if ya want 600 points. THE FORMULA WORKS!

would ya look at that....im a genius.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

awhir wrote:
    More conformists than geeks, as points are ameasure of the popularity of the course rather than the difficulty level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

its my own personal choice what i want to do, it seems like a moral wrong doing by the way everybody is acting.

lilmizzme, if i have got such bad english, then you must have also because, its spelled usbekestan not ubekestan.

you are right i am from usbekestan and my name is ahmedila zaroski

I think it's actually Uzbekistan (alternately Uzbekstan or Ozbekistan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Pfft, I only need 500+ because the vast majority of people wanting to do the TSM in Trinity want History, which is why History is 510 under the TSM. It's 440 by itself. The other subject I want is Ancient History and Archaeology, which is currently 345, from 450 the year before. Stupid history demand...

boger wrote:

lilmizzme, if i have got such bad english, then you must have also because, its spelled usbekestan not ubekestan.

you are right i am from usbekestan and my name is ahmedila zaroski

Are you serious??Wow not only am I a genius for working out a Leaving Cert equation, I am also psychic...this is great....
    Let me know if you do get those 600 points....there's hope for us all if you do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

boger wrote:
    rozabeez,

how dare you post a comment like that, and the worst thing about it is that your a moderator. can yous not get this in to your bloody heads its my own choice what i want to do with my education and what i want to get. so get your noses out of i am an asshole mode

Its your attitude to peoples' opinions of your decision, as if you actually can't understand why we find it so laughable, that bothers me.

Are moderators not entitled to their opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

I need around 420-ish and a C3 in English and French.

The English shouldn't be a problem: paper one seems to pull up my half-arsed attempts on some of paper two. French though is the fun one...

Advertisement