Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

to buy or not

• 01-05-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭

hi

so im looking at maybe getting an Xbox, but dont know a whole lot about em.
    keep hearing about this new Elite version, would i be better off waiting for that?

I need to get a new TV first (just have a 14" CRT), and want to know if i can get Live to work, dont know if it will in my set up.

Would you recommend getting one now or waiting for the newer version?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

It all depends on how urgently you want the console. The current generation 20GB Premium is almost identical to the Elite, bar the finish, HDMI and 120GB HDD. It will run the very same innards, play the same games and do all the same tricks.

As regards your TV, you won't see too much difference graphically between your old xbox and new. If you do upgrade to a HD set, the picture is phenomenal.

If I was looking for a new console I would get the 360, got a PS3 last weekend and I'm not all that impressed. I still prefer my xbox. The elite has no confirmed launch date at the minute, so you could be waiting a while for that. So yes, I would say go for the present xbox 360, if you do eventually run out of HDD space you can always upgrade that seperately in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

johnnyflav wrote:
    If I was looking for a new console I would get the 360, got a PS3 last weekend and I'm not all that impressed. I still prefer my xbox.

I'm the same really, the PS3 isn't bad at all now, but the xbox just has the edge at the moment due to more games and developers being more used to the system. How much are you willing to spend on your tv? How big do you want it? If your getting a tv over 32" you might want to wait for the elite with the hdmi and 1080p (not sure if you know what 1080p means, basically if your getting a tv over 32" and playing it at a lower resolution it may look a little less clear than it could).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Depends how urgently you want one. The Elite will be dearer and even then may not (initially) ship with the most important upgrade - the 65nm chip to improve reliability and reduce noise.

I'm probably gonna get a 360 next month when Forza 2 comes out. I'm somewhat concerned about reliability but MS will repair/replace any units that fail within the first 2 years so that gives me peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There's no point holding off for the Elite. Have a look at this comparison of the elite v orginal. Almost no difference in heat, noise, audio or visual and you will be paying a sizeable premium for the elite over the current version which imo is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I'm getting one soon, not waiting for the Elite, this Xtravision offer on now is too good to miss. I have a 17 inch CRT (thats what she said(to me)) but GFX arent a huge thing to me at the moment, really gameplay is what I'm for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

does the xbox not have a HDMI socket or something?
    how does it connect to a HDTV?

the tv ill be getting is a 32" HDTV, this one
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=10651&langId=-1&searchTerms=5292875&go.x=10&go.y=7

looking at the xtravision deal, seems to good to pass up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You connect it up with component or VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, if your going with that tv the normal xbox will be grand for ye!

Advertisement