Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help on Maigdiléana Le Cathal Ó Searcaigh!!!!!!

Options
  • 01-05-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was out sick last year when we were studying this poem and my stupid teacher only recently started revising it and im only now realising how hard it is!!! does any1 hav notes or anythin cos im screeewd!!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'd try not being retarded if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 efalambo

And i'd try not be so rude if i were you - I've been in and out of hospital all year actually, i'm lucky to be doing my leaving in the first place. i don't have to write about this poem but i want to keep my options open so if theres any1 who actually does wna help id reli appreciate it

Advice:

1. Ask your teacher for the notes you missed.

2. If you can't get them from your teacher get them from a friend.

3. If they are non existant or you simply can't get them read the notes in your textbook.

4. If you need more help try www.google.ie , there are quite a few sites with LC Irish notes like www.skoool.ie

5. If you are still, for some reason, unable to comprehend the poem on your own you may post here and request help, however, please follow these few guidelines if you want help:
    A) Actually ask questions you want answered about the poem, ie. what don't you understand about the poem, what would you like explained etc.

B) Don't write in bold, it's annoying and stupid.

C) Don't use txt spk, it's retarded.

D) Don't use exclaimation marks inappropriately, again it makes you look stupid. It may be the only way you can fathom to get your distress across, but really, we don't care.

i've already tried everything...hence i wrote on this thing! and if u dont care, then why bother replying?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Advice:

1. Ask your teacher for the notes you missed.

2. If you can't get them from your teacher get them from a friend.

3. If they are non existant or you simply can't get them read the notes in your textbook.

4. If you need more help try www.google.ie , there are quite a few sites with LC Irish notes like www.skoool.ie

5. If you are still, for some reason, unable to comprehend the poem on your own you may post here and request help, however, please follow these few guidelines if you want help:
    A) Actually ask questions you want answered about the poem, ie. what don't you understand about the poem, what would you like explained etc.

B) Don't write in bold, it's annoying and stupid.

C) Don't use txt spk, it's retarded.

D) Don't use exclaimation marks inappropriately, again it makes you look stupid. It may be the only way you can fathom to get your distress across, but really, we don't care.
    you need to get a grip there.

• Advertisement

efalambo wrote:
    i've already tried everything...hence i wrote on this thing! and if u dont care, then why bother replying?
    As an Honours Irish A student I can help you, but only if you edit your original post with guidelines A, B, C and D in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

You'll need decent Irish to make head or tail of this:

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone.asp?id=3814

The main jist is that the prositute's lonely, as is her profession. There's a good bit of religious references in the poem, e.g. Maigdiléana - Mary Magdelene, something about telephone posts being like crosses in the first verse and the underground being a bit like the tomb Jesus was buried in. The poet also feels a good bit of sympathy for the prostitute, but if ya ask me, he comes across as a bit of a stalker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

The poet also feels a good bit of sympathy for the prostitute, but if ya ask me, he comes across as a bit of a stalker.

Hehehehe, I never really thought about it like that.
    I answered on this in my pre-exams, and did fairly okay. We were asked to discuss the poet's feelings towards the stripper - I mentioned a lot how he showed bá (empathy) towards her, just like Jesus showed empathy towards Mary Magdalene, and that kind of stuff. We were also asked about the imagery, and I mentioned, like Haven't A Clue already said, about the religious themes, and also how the underground could be describing the underhand profession of the prostitute.

I'm open to correction, though.

Thank you so much for all your help! I handed in an essay for the teacher to review and I ended up getting an A!

efalambo wrote:
    Thank you so much for all your help! I handed in an essay for the teacher to review and I ended up getting an A!
    Nice one. It's a reasonably simple poem tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Why write an entire essay on the poem? Lol.

Also, he may come across as a stalker, but let's do the usual "zomg Cathal O'Searcaigh" thing and point out, that he would be more likely to stalk her pimp, because he is in fact gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Rozabeez wrote:
    Also, he may come across as a stalker, but let's do the usual "zomg Cathal O'Searcaigh" thing and point out, that he would be more likely to stalk her pimp, because he is in fact gay.

Lol, true. Is anyone else hoping this poem comes up on the paper this year? I find it way easier to write about Maigdiléana than Uirchill an Chreagáin *shudder*

Um, you don't have to write it out, the poems are printed.

I meant write about, damn me and my typos

Heh, I find Uirchill an Chreagain much easier, just waffle on about depression, the historical aspect, the poet's emotional state/poverty etc.

No, I wholeheartedly agree with Steve there. Maigdiléana's a piece of piss. The language used is very simple and its Donegal Irish too which'll suit me down to the ground.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Heh, I find Uirchill an Chreagain much easier, just waffle on about depression, the historical aspect, the poet's emotional state/poverty etc.

I'm with the other two also. I hate Uirchill an Chreagain. It was on our mocks too. I just find it more difficult than the others...

Most people have said that, I find it boring, but not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Rozabeez wrote:
    "zomg Cathal O'Searcaigh" thing and point out, that he would be more likely to stalk her pimp, because he is in fact gay.

No way....wow, Irish poetry actually has a dark hidden side to it....now why dont they put that in the textbook???

Hidden? He's very open about it in Níl Aon Ní, when he refers to his lover as a "him" iirc.

• Advertisement

damn, i need to study....:D

ah don't we all.

/returns to not studying.

lilmizzme wrote:
    No way....wow, Irish poetry actually has a dark hidden side to it....now why dont they put that in the textbook???
    What's "dark" about homosexuality?

Our hatred of all things ghey, obviously.

now now lads, calm down...i didnt mean anything by it, i am by no means homophobic, neither do i condem homosexuality, i simply meant i think its unusual to have something like homosexuality appearing in a leaving cert irish course, given that the current course is pretty worn, and in a way old-fashioned....

*deep breath*

The current course was set last year, and I fail to see what's old fashioned about it.

And homosexuality doesn't appear in the LC, one poet just happens to be gay....

sweet jesus, JK, calm down, I didnt mean anything by it!Stop looking for an argument in every single thread....Im just saying, it's not something that you would imagine to come up in an Irish language course, seeing as divorce is a reletively new thing to this country..

Actually I take it back..the Irish language Levaing Cert course fully allows for student discussion on topics such as homosexuality, abortion and other such subjects.....now relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JC 2K3 wrote:
    ... And homosexuality doesn't appear in the LC, one poet just happens to be gay....
    Maybe not on the Irish couse. I take it you haven't read "How Many Miles to Babylon" :D

ethernet wrote:
    Maybe not on the Irish couse. I take it you haven't read "How Many Miles to Babylon" :D

Hehehehe. Brokeback Mountain for Irish soldiers :)

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote:

*shakes head* There's always one

Advertisement