Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My External keeps crashing

• 01-05-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,672 ✭✭✭✭

I assume its from overheating, because it does build up quite a lot of Joules. any thoughts on keeping it chilled? I was going to consider just chucking it into a freezer bag and putting it in a tub of ice or something :p but there must be more practical solutions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What make/model of drive are we talking here? Where do you keep it while operating (on a desk or under a pile of laundry?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its here: https://www.medionshop.co.uk/

Go to PC peripherals its at the bottom...stupid "all in one" page setup.

I dont keep it sideways because I dont want it falling on its side.. but right now it says on top of my PC, above the optical drive location.
    I take it to collegt too where it will usually sit on a desk, or anywhere else I can fit it :p

It gets hot while its being accessed, basically. Its a known design flaw but the company assures it doesnt affect the lifespan... either way its still in warranty.

actually thinking about it it only fusses with my home PC so they must not get along...but either way Ive noticed a pattern that its more compatible with my home PC when its cooled and tends to crash a lot more when heated, often to the point where I have to leave it unplugged from the AC for about 30 mins to get it to chill out.

Just wonder if maybe theres an effective heatsink solution or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I have one of the infamous Netgear NAS 'toasters'. I ended up fitting an external 80mm fan to it. Not pretty but it now doesn't burn me if I touch it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

They told you that excessive heat would NOT affect its lifespan? Muppets...

Well, its an aluminium enclosure which should help heat dissipation, so I would agree with the sticking a fan on it or next to it. Either that or get a new one from a more reputable manufacturer :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

you could always take it apart and drill holes in the case :P
    not pretty but it should help cool it.

or you could buy a new hard drive enclosure, you'll have to search for one with fans or something and just transfer the hard drive over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement