Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with higher english

Options
  • 01-05-2007 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey first I failed my mock but not by much . Second I dont wana move down to ordinary . I havnt done any study so far but I need to start now . I need some one to tell me what I should be studyin and how many poets I should learn etc. (I done 6 and plan on learnin 3) . Iv done Macbeth . If anyone can help it would be greatly apreceated (im not very good at spellin either haha)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

http://www.sparknotes.com/
    Thats all youll need:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

To be honest just do exam paper questions on various diffrent things, get your teacher to correct them and improve from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Man Down

If you've covered all you said you have maybe it'd be worth while looking at Paper 1 moreso than Paper 2. Although it is arguably less straightforward to study for, still set yourself out some notes on it (ask your teacher for some pointers) it always pay to know where your going with a piece of writing or an essay for example before you finish writing the first line or two. Babbling on all day will waste time and lose you valuable marks. And try write wtih some degree of depth in your answers aswell...

At this stage if you failed your mock only barely and reckon you can motivate yourself to sussing out the flaws, I reckon you can pass the honours no problem in the real thing.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thats the great thing about paper 1.
    It tests your actual ability at English, unlike paper 2 which is more about memory work.
    Just keep practicing paper one essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

kieranmcg1 wrote:
    I need some one to tell me what I should be studyin and how many poets I should learn etc. (I done 6 and plan on learnin 3)

I'm not so sure if that's such a great idea. While it would cut down considerably on your workload, especially if you're just beginning to study English now, it also means that you could find yourself with no question to answer.
    What I generally do for English, though this varies of course from person to person, is learn off a personal response to each poet (one a week from now on, maybe, I'm planning to do five.) Learn off a good answer for two out of three comparative modes, and just study Macbeth as best as I can, and keep handing things up to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

learn yeats/montague/kavanagh.... there's always an irish poet on the paper... 99.999% chance of it or something along those lines as my teacher told us... lady macbeth hasn't come up on her own as a character question in a good while (i think... not certain though) and a few samples and our pre had kingship theme on..... you'll have to know your macbeth and L macbeth alright though... always a character question there like..... though one year i think it was banquo but i couldn't see that happening again because there was hassle.... or so i'm told like... my teacher my just get cheap thrills out of lying but i wouldn't think so.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

My teacher has predicted Plath, Frost, Donne, Kavanagh.....tenner bets 3/4 will be right!

On a different note...but based on the thread...how do you guys start off a comparative essay?
    My way would be to introduce the texts i will use, briefly describe the plot, and tell them i will be using short hand for the names of the texts eg. MLF for my left foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

sternn wrote:
    On a different note...but based on the thread...how do you guys start off a comparative essay?
    My way would be to introduce the texts i will use, briefly describe the plot, and tell them i will be using short hand for the names of the texts eg. MLF for my left foot.

It differs depending on the question being asked and the section your answering (e.g. cultural context). It seems likely that cultural context will be on the paper this year. My plan is to define the term 'cultural context' as I understand and mention how studying the three texts broadened my understanding of the term. Then I'll make 7 or 8 large points of comparison and give some form of conclusion. Thats my plan anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I hope Montague and Frost turn up, otherwise I am screwed:D

Steve01 wrote:
    My plan is to define the term 'cultural context' as I understand

How would you define 'cultural context'?

Something like: Cultural context, from my understanding, is the way in which people live and the society in which they live in.....??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

What I have is: "Cultural context" refers to the world in which a text is set - its structures, institutions, values and day-to-day rituals...
    Don't steal it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

The cultural context is the world in which the narrative is set/the characters live in, i.e the type of society in which they live in. IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Amorphous Head

http://www.sparknotes.com/
    Thats all youll need:D
    they've nothing for Derek Mahon up there :mad:

Who the fúck is Derek Mahon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Rozabeez wrote:
    Who the fúck is Derek Mahon?
    An Irish poet who isn't on the leaving cert course this year. I think he was on it last year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

hey thanks for the info guys . personally i think montague will come on regarding to poetry only reason i think that is because he hasnt came up in the last 3 or 4 years what do the rest of ya think is comin up on poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

If Sylvia Plath comes up I will literally cry with happiness.

Won't we all. She's too damn easy to write about, As is that other chap....Yeats.

Does anyone know if there is a requirement to quote from texts in the comparative study?
    I handed up an essay last week and got a C because I didnt use any quotes. The higher honours class were told that you dont have to use any quotes, only references to incidents in the texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Close reference to the text and correct quotation gets you marks.
    Make as much comparative comment as possible as well,since every time you do,it's noted by the examiner and you get marks.
    if you don't know any quotations,learn some!-they greatly enhance the standard of your answer. If on the day you can't remember them fully,avoid misquoting as marks are deducted for that.
    just use the words you know are DEFINITELY part of the quotation.

ie. Alec Moore,in HMMB was an only "child".

As for poety,my teacher expects Montague to come up,since he's new to the course this year...
    time shall tell,I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

''If plath comes up i will literally cry with happiness''-spank

so will i spank, so will i! and if she doesnt i'll start bawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Come on Eliot!!!!

Kavanagh. Oh please let it be Kavanagh.
    He's my favourite ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

Selphie wrote:
    Kavanagh. Oh please let it be Kavanagh.
    He's my favourite ;)

Wouldn't that be so, so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

this is very off topic, but just bear with me here...does anyone know why shazzyshaz was banned??

Advertisement