Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firewall using broadband

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

:eek:
    is it difficult to set up a firewall using broadband. what i want is a hardware firewall not a software one. which types of firewalls would you recommend.
    is it true that its very easy access the router unless a firewall is installed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Most routers have some sort of simple firewall built in and remote access of the router can be easily blocked (and is normally by default).

Check out Shields Up if you are interested in testing your PC/router's security settings. That'll alert you of any possible security issues and whether you are vulnerable to outside attack.

A good software firewall is also handy, and IMO important, to have as it will let you block outgoing Internet connections. A hardware firewall won't block these. Blocking outgoing connections is useful for stopping spyware/adware and viruses from accessing the Internet should they find themselves on your computer.

Here's some interesting info on hardware Vs software firewalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't worry about Shields Up failing you as long as all the ports are blocked. It fails unless they are all stealthed and Ping is disabled. I've not found the need for either.. Mose newer routers do auto-stealth and allow you to enable or disable ping response.

Most "Hardware" Firewalls do allow all outgoing by default but you can edit that.

I've used Wingate (Proxy mode, NAT disabled), Firewalls built in WiFi boxes and ClarkConnect on Linux. I'm using Clarkconnect on Linux (old Dual 400MHz PIII) as the WiFi used as a router/Firewall slowed a lot with 5 users. I use the Wifi only as an Access Point now, not the 4 ports switch or WAN port. (one of the 4 LAN ports connects to the main ethernet Switch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

but why would i want to stop outgoing traffic when its incoming traffic i should stop:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

coolio_64 wrote:
    why would i want to stop outgoing traffic when its incoming traffic i should stop
    So you don't have a problem with malware installing itself onto your machine and senting all your files to bob_haX0r then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

A NAT router is effectively a firewall...

• Advertisement
Advertisement