Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists, Ethics & Medical Experimentation

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Essentially my point is that rights are afforded to minority groups by the majority ultimately in the interests of the majority(And vice versa, ie. minority groups are opressed if it's ultimately in the majority's interest). What dictates what makes it in the majority's interest is public opinion, which is generally random, yet can be influenced in many ways.

So, in other words, you're saying that the majority accord rights to minorities when public opinion is such that it is in the majority's interests to do so - which is a rather roundabout way of saying that minority rights depend on public opinion, given that 'public opinion' is the opinion of the majority.

Waste of time, really. We'll have to agree to agree, I suppose - in the spirit of which, you're welcome to think you're still disagreeing.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Scofflaw,

Where and for what reason would you draw your line?

And,

how would it work in this world. I mean if every living thing should have equal rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

karen3212 wrote:
    Scofflaw,

Where and for what reason would you draw your line?

And,

how would it work in this world. I mean if every living thing should have equal rights?

Oh, reading the other thread now!

karen3212 wrote:
    Oh, reading the other thread now!

The Schuhart/Scofflaw argument? That's extremely polite of you!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Scofflaw wrote:
    The Schuhart/Scofflaw argument? That's extremely polite of you!

And ambitious. That thread is the forum equivalent of eating a metric ton of chalk :D

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    And ambitious. That thread is the forum equivalent of eating a metric ton of chalk :D

And cheese, as it turned out...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement