Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zumo 500 ?

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at the zumo 500 ,not sure whether the maps are up to date or not ,on pixmania.
    Has anyone tried it or anything like it ?? ,i was wondering how portable it is ?
    Thanks,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I got the 550 and it seems very good. Any zumo this year has the version 9 software which means full coverage for ireland, which basically is every drivable road in the country is on it! Still doesn't have the new N2 though, but any questions check out: http://www.zumoforums.com
    If you want to take a look at the v9 maps check out garmin maps and choose the dropdown menu to see version 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What the difference between the two models?
    I read somewhere that the 500 doesn't come with a car adapter, but read elsewhere that it does.. Also the 550 comes preloaded with Full European mapping while the 500 comes with UK and Ireland only (but fully unlocked City Navigator Europe). So does the 550 have additional on-board RAM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I got the 550 for the euro maps, heard there's a couple of software extras like satalite radio on it too, and the 550 also has a suction car mount. Considering it's a motorcycle GPS, it comes with 2 car mounts that are very good, and 1 bike one that's pants! If you buy it, you'll probably need to get an aftermarket mount. I got the Touratech one.
    Mounted it tonight with the zumo mount (touratech one hasn't arrived yet) and took it out for a test drive today and it's amazing! Top quality workmanship in all parts. Except for the motorbike mount!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Quint wrote:
    I got the 550 for the euro maps, heard there's a couple of software extras like satalite radio on it too, and the 550 also has a suction car mount.

Does the 500 not have euro maps ? ,I'm buying it so I don't have to worry about breaking it in work ,I'm a plumber and I can be a bit ruff with gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Quint, can you answer me a question regarding the Bluetooth? I have a 360 Nuvi which has BT in my MINI, but I'm thinking of giving that to herself, and buying the Zumo for both the Duke and the car. Garmin say that the unit can pair to your bt phone, and your bt helmet at the same time, is that right? You can pair two items to the Zumo? By any chance does it also have an audio in socket for iPods, etc?

• Advertisement

Ned, you can pair both your phone and your bluetooth headset. It's one of the key selling points for me. It has audio out, but not in, but does have an SD card slot that you could fill with your favourite music..

Quint: XM Satellite Radio and XM traffic annoucements and updates are optional extras. (extra hardware and subscriptions required). There aren't currently any XM traffic services available in Ireland, and I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that satellite radio isn't available in this part of the world.

The manual is available here.

Apparently the 500 comes with UK and Ireland preinstalled, but also comes with a full unlocked DVD for City Navigator Europe V9, but you probably need to buy an SD card and put the Europe-wide maps on the SD card.

I just couldn't order the Zumo online ,I wasn't prepared to take a chance with such a small item. The price Vs online risk was too high for me.
    I'm off into halfords to get a 310D tomorrow ,I presume their good.

Thanks for the info.

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'm off into halfords to get a 310D tomorrow ,I presume their good.
    You are buying it for a bike, right? You know the 310 isn't waterproof?

Nope krusty ,I was just looking for something that was rugged.
    Because I got my last unit robbed ,I really want something i can throw around without worrying too much about it. I will have to keep it hidden.

If I don't buy a 610 tomorrow ,I'll buy a 250 at the end of the week:)

Advertisement