Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election poster put up on private property

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

The local Sinn Fein party has put up a poster on a pole out side my house on private property. I do not wish to be associated with them. They did not ask permission to put it up. Can I remove it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its on private property (I take it the pole is just inside the wall) then feel free to tear it down.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks Mike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Charge them rent :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

seen two Pat Carey FF posters gone up on a wall well inside a SF candidates garden in finglas today, obviously put there by the FF poster crew working just around the corner.

cheeky :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Just take them down and put them up in a public place in July ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Put on a balaclava, grab it in the middle of the night and do your worst to it before burying it in a shallow grave somewhere that you are likely to forget

(sorry - I couldn't help myself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Leave it up, and sue the said party for entering and trespassing on private property. Only way they will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Isn't it illegal and can't you complain somewhere about it? I think it falls under the littering laws but I could be wrong so don't quote me on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

stepbar wrote:
    Leave it up, and sue the said party for entering and trespassing on private property. Only way they will learn.
    These are the Shinners remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bond-007 wrote:
    These are the Shinners remember.

I wouldnt worry about them with an election coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's afterwards I'd be worried about stepbar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JackAss

kbannon wrote:
    Put on a balaclava, grab it in the middle of the night and do your worst to it before burying it in a shallow grave somewhere that you are likely to forget

(sorry - I couldn't help myself!)

He wants to get rid of the photo, not join the party!!

OP, of course you can tear it down, but better yet, I'd get the candidates telephone number from his/her party office, call him/her and ask him to come over and remove it as he has placed it on private property...that stuff isn't on! The posters are annoying enough and I would imagine they would have very little if not no influence on how people vote...we're all aware of who's running in our areas...these posters tel us nothing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it's on your property couldn't you just replace the front of the board with 'Sinn Fein trespassed on my property to put this annoying poster up".

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Just get a big marker and at the top write -

"PLEASE DO NOT VOTE FOR"

Or just invoice them for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have you considered calling the local SF office and politely informing them of their error? Or contacted you own local council about it? My own local TD is looking in my bedroom window. :D Unfortunately it's a public pole.

stepbar wrote:
    Leave it up, and sue the said party for entering and trespassing on private property.

Pay a barrister and solicitor a few grand, get a few euro back for a techncial trespass, and face your own legal costs?

Hardly practical. File it beside the 'everyone will emigrate if FF get back in' thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sleepy wrote:
    If it's on your property couldn't you just replace the front of the board with 'Sinn Fein trespassed on my property to put this annoying poster up".
    <3 for Sleepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

is_that_so wrote:
    My own local TD is looking in my bedroom window. :D

Who's your local TD? If it's luscious Liz O'Donnell then I wouldn't have too many complaints :p - unfortunately we have Willie O'Dea gawking down on us :(

is_that_so wrote:
    My own local TD is looking in my bedroom window.

The Fine Gael candidate called round to mine last week. Wife upstairs, me in kitchen in boxers, grilling steak, grill on fire, fire alarm going off, running around kitchen trying to put it out, swearing. And then I looked up and saw the crowd at the window.

The Fine Gael candidate called round to mine last week. Wife upstairs, me in kitchen in boxers, grilling steak, grill on fire, fire alarm going off, running around kitchen trying to put it out, swearing. And then I looked up and saw the crowd at the window.

Heh, impressive :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I have seen billborad type posters in people's gardens. Are they paid to do this or are they just party supporters?

I read somewhere on here that the FF pay 200quid per sign!

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Who's your local TD? If it's luscious Liz O'Donnell then I wouldn't have too many complaints :p - unfortunately we have Willie O'Dea gawking down on us :(
    Is he pictured pointing a gun towards you ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

kbannon wrote:
    I read somewhere on here that the FF pay 200quid per sign!

So that's the going rate for a soul these days?

Im sure some give their soul for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I have seen billborad type posters in people's gardens. Are they paid to do this or are they just party supporters?

Normally supports.
    BTW are FF the only party that has to employ labour from Eastern Europeans to put their posters up? All I see are teams of Eastern Europeans trailing around lashing bertie posters up. While the other parties seem to have mustered the troops in the form of their own support base.
    Maybe thats where the £50,000 went to! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Fine Gael are the only party that imported their posters.....

AFAIK most posters are put up professionally rather than by supporters.

Imported? wow thats odd, but it is FG I suppose.

Actually the shinners have a dedicated teamm of posterers, generally its the guys who wouldn't be up for a decent bit of canvassing usually get lumped with the postering. Thankfully I always liked canvassing, although it can ruin a good pair of shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Bond-007 wrote:
    The local Sinn Fein party has put up a poster on a pole out side my house on private property. I do not wish to be associated with them. They did not ask permission to put it up. Can I remove it?

If the pole is an ESB/Telephone pole then it isn't your property (even if it inside your boundarys it remains the property of ESB/Ericom) and they are entitled to put election posters on it

• Advertisement

^^
    true enough!

Advertisement