Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing a final year subject

Options
  • 01-05-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭

Non modular system...

What happens if you fail one of your final year Arts subjects? I know there's no autumn repeats, can you repeat the year or anything? I'm doing fairly well in one subject and awful in the other. If I did fail and was going to repeat the year could I just repeat the one subject I failed, and only pay half the usual repeat fees?

Would the fact I'm in the last ever non modular year completely screw up any chance of repeating anything for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I dunno about arts but I know in engineering there are no autumn repeats in final year, there never was. you would have to repeat final year and you'd only come out with a pass degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

tywy wrote:
    I dunno about arts but I know in engineering there are no autumn repeats in final year, there never was. you would have to repeat final year and you'd only come out with a pass degree.

This is correct as far as I know. You can repeat the year but you're capped at a pass.

If you're certain that you'll fail the other subject then the best option might be deferring the year before you even sit the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Nah I'm not certain I'll fail the other subject, but it's a possibility. I've already completed some courses at christmas, but they were all marked on coursework. I haven't sat any exams for the course yet but I've completed 2 courses so I don't know if I'd be able to defer the year, and I wouldn't want to anyway.

I'd rather take my chances at getting the pass this time round then doing the year again. Really can't wait to get out of this place. If I was to fail and subsequently repeat final year, would the whole degree be capped at a pass or just the subject I failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

The degree is a joint honours, so the whole degree I'd imagine. I'm not completely sure though. You can still get honours results, but you will only be awarded with a pass degree when you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Are they changing this system in arts next year, removing caps and so forth? I heard they were...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You can't repeat final Arts at Autumn now, but you never could, so there's no great loss there. If you do happen to fail, you're better off repeating both, from what I've heard, as your degree will be capped at a 2.1 if you repeat both subjects. To be fair, 2.1 isn't a major cap.

Try talking to the programme office, but it's too late in the year to defer now.

Advertisement