Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 02-05-2007 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

An Asian couple gets married ...

On the wedding night, she cowers under the bed sheets as her husband undresses.

He climbs in next to her and tries to be reassuring:
    "My darring," he says, "I know dis you firs time and you berry frlighten. I plomise you, I give you anyting you want, I do anyting - jus anyting you want... you, juss say what you want?"

A thoughtful silence follows and he waits patiently (and eagerly) for her answer.

"I wanna ......numma 69," she eventually replies.

More thoughtful silence, this time from him.

Eventually in a puzzled tone he queries......."You wanna ...uh???......beef with bloccoli !?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

biko wrote:
    An Asian couple gets married ...

"My darring," he says, "I know dis you firs time and you berry frlighten. I plomise you, I give you anyting you want, I do anyting - jus anyting you want... you, juss say what you want?"

A thoughtful silence follows and he waits patiently (and eagerly) for her answer.

"I wanna ......numma 69," she eventually replies.

Eventually in a puzzled tone he queries......."You wanna ...uh???......beef with bloccoli !?"

Didn't know racist crap was allowed here. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not my fault. Posted in Lolocaust and moved to Humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

funny... But was there any need for writing everything in an accent?? Not needed like...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Didn't know racist crap was allowed here. :mad:
    I moved the thread.

Didn't think it crossed the line in my opinion, and quite tame by most standards.

The joke isn't a racially motived, more of a sterotypical joke.

If you or any other poster would like me to move it back please PM me or any of the other Humour mods and it will be moved.

Granted the pronunciation of the words need not have been spelled out, but the OP isn't to blame for that. I'm guessing it was a copy and paste job.

I will move this back if you would like.

Rabies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Good call Rabies.

Just good fun, no more racist than saying "Shure and begorrah" in an Irish joke.

That said if anyone has a gripe with anything posted, use the report post button or PM a mod. Please resist the temptation to castigate a fellow poster in public. It's counter-productive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

No need for Lolocaust at all - the only thing that killed the joke was the typed accent.
    Nooo neeeeed.

Hagar wrote:
    Good call Rabies.

Just good fun, no more racist than saying "Shure and begorrah" in an Irish joke.

That said if anyone has a gripe with anything posted, use the report post button or PM a mod. Please resist the temptation to castigate a fellow poster in public. It's counter-productive.

Sorry, you're right, I should have used the 'Report post' button.

A few mates here in work (they are from Hong Kong & mainland China) seen the joke and were quite offended by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Sorry, you're right, I should have used the 'Report post' button.

A few mates here in work (they are from Hong Kong & mainland China) seen the joke and were quite offended by it.
    Jeez, tell them to grow up. Its not the best joke but its far from offensive. Was it the punchline or the accent used that they found offensive? It'd be interesting to know.

The punchline is not particularly racist. Most chinese restaurants use a number based menu, thats the point of the joke. So if anyone should be offended it should be chinese restaurant menu's.

On the other hand if its the accent, did they find the film 'Lost in Translation' racist and offensive?

raido9 wrote:
    Jeez, tell them to grow up. Its not the best joke but its far from offensive. Was it the punchline or the accent used that they found offensive? It'd be interesting to know.

The punchline is not particularly racist. Most chinese restaurants use a number based menu, thats the point of the joke. So if anyone should be offended it should be chinese restaurant menu's.

On the other hand if its the accent, did they find the film 'Lost in Translation' racist and offensive?

I think it was more about the implication that asian people are only able to work in a takeaway shop. That and the pronunciation of the words. I guess my friends have had to put up with racist comments here in Ireland and this joke hit a raw nerve.

I objected to it as it reinforces a very negative stereotype and that can lead to racism.

I'd be equally annoyed if I were in the UK and someone told me "Get back to the building site you drunken paddy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I think it was more about the implication that asian people are only able to work in a takeaway shop. That and the pronunciation of the words. I guess my friends have had to put up with racist comments here in Ireland and this joke hit a raw nerve.

I objected to it as it reinforces a very negative stereotype and that can lead to racism.

I'd be equally annoyed if I were in the UK and someone told me "Get back to the building site you drunken paddy".
    I think its more a case of the menu number system being used in chinese take-aways. If you change the guy to be irish, the joke loses its meaning.

The pronunciation of the words is unneccesary.

I also think its more a case of most chinese take-away shops have asian workers, rather than most asian workers work in take-aways.

I'd like to know why you percieve this as a negative stereotype, and one could argue you are offending many asian take-away workers. I agree it is a stereotype, but not all are negative.

*Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get a discussion going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

An Irish couple gets married ...

"Jayziz Bridgit," he says, "I know dis is yer furst time an' all and you're shítting yerself. I tell you what, you name it and I'll give it a lash. Let me know and I won't see ye shtuck."

"Jayziz boy, I'd love a 68" she eventually replies.

Eventually in a puzzled tone he queries......."What in the name of all that's holy is a 68"

"You do me, and I'll owe you one" she winked.

Try that one on the lads in Hong Kong and we'll call it quits.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Hagar wrote:

"Jayziz Bridgit," he says, "I know dis is yer furst time an' all and you're shítting yerself. I tell you what, you name it and I'll give it a lash. Let me know and I won't see ye shtuck."

Eventually in a puzzled tone he queries......."What in the name of all that's holy is a 68"

lol thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,600 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

GRUMPY OLD FART ALERT!!!

If they were both Asian, why were they speaking English?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hagar wrote:

Ha ha very good.

Hagar wrote:

Point taken about the pronunciation of the words, but your joke doesn't reinforce a negative stereotype.

I'm not too bothered by it since I know the poster didn't mean any harm. I guess it's just not my cuppa tea when it comes to humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

biko wrote:

i ONLY got the joke now. two days of bewilderment later!!! :rolleyes:
    a delayed LOL :)

Advertisement