Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to the boy racer on Pana

Options
  • 02-05-2007 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

A big congrats go to the owner of the red 'modified' Civic on Pana tonight, getting towed away by the Gardaí, whatever you did, please get your buddies to do the same so Cork is finally free of the 27 Starlets and 14 Civics all doing 20 laps a night of the City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Looked like there was some open air gig on in Daunt Square or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I heard it was something to do with Shell to Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nothing to do with Shell to Sea, it was another 'Reclaim the Old Head of Kinsale' protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ned78 wrote:
    Nothing to do with Shell to Sea, it was another 'Reclaim the Old Head of Kinsale' protest.
    Boy racers hanging out with hippies now?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Looked like there was some open air gig on in Daunt Square or something...

Yesterday was a celebration of "May Day" traditionally the workers' holiday. It's meant to be a day to highlight workers' rights and focus attention on the increased corporatism of daily life.

I'm surprised that nobody noted the significance of the date. Oh well, god help us from the text generation.:rolleyes:

I presume the "boy racer" mentioned above was not speeding for workers rights:D

dulpit wrote:
    Boy racers hanging out with hippies now?:confused:

No one said that. This was a thread about a Boy Racer getting his car lifted, and then someone threadjacked and asked what the protest on Daunt Square was.

ned78 wrote:
    No one said that. This was a thread about a Boy Racer getting his car lifted, and then someone threadjacked and asked what the protest on Daunt Square was.

Oh, my bad... I got confuddled because someone mentioned the daunt square protest yoke, i assumed thats where he got towed from... apologies..

Sure no bother boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Frickin' boy racers!See what they are doing to us.Can't we just drive them all out to the wilderness and set them free where they can roam free and soak up each others incoherence???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ned78 wrote:
    .. whatever you did, please get your buddies to do the same so Cork is finally free of the 27 Starlets and 14 Civics all doing 20 laps a night of the City.

yeah I've noticed that when I was in the city one evening (rarely in the city these days). I couldn't get over the amount of lil scummy boy racers and their pathetic cars, they should realise that the whole act of meeting up with other lads and standing around looking at exhaust pipes and then watching one boy with his 'friend' drive around a bit making vroom vroom noise only screams of homo-eroticism!

The poor lads, they should just come out and be done with all the closet exhaust admiring!

I've never understood the logic of these boy racers... You could buy (for example) a nice 5-door car (maybe a focus or something) and it'd be the job. Or you could buy a 1989 Toyota Starlet 3-door, then spend the savings on making it scrape of the floor and make a cool loud noise... And don't forget your max power dump valve thing, that's really cool... Wallys the lot of them...

The way to fix this, is for Cork to get it's own Mondello. We need a racetrack here, so people can get their speed thrills on the track, and not on the road, and so these boy racers have somewhere to go, and enjoy what's obviously their passion.

Having many many tracks works brilliantly in the UK where people will take their car to Brands Hatch, or Rockingham, etc, to get their thrills at speed, and be content driving at 60mph for the rest of the week.

dulpit wrote:
    And don't forget your max power dump valve thing

Wtf is that?! An innovative new way of permanently curing constipation? O_o

Wtf is that?! An innovative new way of permanently curing constipation? O_o
    Nice image there :(

Its that thing that makes the car go swoosh at every gear change... A buddy explained to me once that if the car is a turbo hen it does something, but if its a little starlet then its just a noise...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Are we talking about a turbocharger here?

As has been discussed many a time with adam, who knows his stuff when it comes to cars and tuning, it's not so much the being into cars and modding/tuning/whatever you want to call it that's infuriating about the boy racers, so much as the crappy job half of them do of it. It's like they're not so much interested in having a genuinely customised and decent car as just having something with a bigger spoiler than their mate's car. Which is kind of sad.

Hey, maybe we should invite Xzibit to Cork and have them pimp all the boy racers' cars with the PROC colours and about 98 thousand flatscreen tvs and playstation 2s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

What is so fantastic about showing off your car thats got an engine louder than a low flying airplane, you can't see out the back window because of the spoiler, probably has a 'for sale' sign on the side windows, you can't see into it, so you can't be seen, just scraped through the NCT, and stuck together with cheap glue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

What is so fantastic about showing off your car thats got an engine louder than a low flying airplane, you can't see out the back window because of the spoiler, probably has a 'for sale' sign on the side windows, you can't see into it, so you can't be seen, just scraped through the NCT, and stuck together with cheap glue?

madgal wrote:

It's cool boy!

What's the story with those for sale signs anyway? Clearly they're not actually selling the thing (who pays money to get a nice sticker put together? Am i been fierce naive and missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A properly modified car is a million miles from most of the buckets tooling around the city late at night. Unfortunately the vast majority of people are idiots…….

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote:
    It's cool boy!

What's the story with those for sale signs anyway? Clearly they're not actually selling the thing (who pays money to get a nice sticker put together? Am i been fierce naive and missing something?

Well, for one, it's only about 15 Euro to have a for sale sign done in Vinyl, and would look better than a tatty price printed on paper, that runs when condensation builds up in the car. The rumour though, and it is only that, is that the numbers are used to organise races. I'd take that with a packet of saxa though!

ned78 wrote:
    The way to fix this, is for Cork to get it's own Mondello. We need a racetrack here, so people can get their speed thrills on the track, and not on the road, and so these boy racers have somewhere to go, and enjoy what's obviously their passion.

Having many many tracks works brilliantly in the UK where people will take their car to Brands Hatch, or Rockingham, etc, to get their thrills at speed, and be content driving at 60mph for the rest of the week.

maybe you have a point here but I still think that would not solve the problem. You see I believe a lot of these idiots are doing it purely for attention and they would not go near a race track (for fear of ridicule from proper car enthusiasts) as they wouldn't get the attention when they rev their engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

You got a point here.i mean most of those cars are 40 year old rust buckets with noisy exhausts attached to them.So retarded.

Plus having our own mondello would attract even more boy racers.The city would definitely not be safe at night then,especially for the innocent 14 year old girls that they hunt down and violate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ned78 wrote:

I completely agree with you that we should have our own Mondello, but unfortunately I dont think that the Irish are into their cars like the Brits are, or indeed the Continentals. I would love to see the day when we have no speed limits on the 120 miles of Motorway that at present exists in the country, but I know I can keep dreaming. I dont see why people make such a fuss about speeding here in this country. Anyone whose been to Francxe knows that ze French never even come close to obeying the speed limits. While the Germans think that a speed limit of 70 means anywhere between 100 and 130. They do obey the speed limits when the are in the "30-Zone". And best of all when there is a speed limit on their Autobahns, it is only a "suggestion", in other words feel free to ignore it if you wish.
    You only have to look at the amount of people who buy bottom of the range cars which come with f**k all as standard here. People want safer roads but they wont pay for ESP,a proven life saver. Even in other countries where there are high taxes on cars, people dont buy cars with teeny weeny engines and with nothing as standard. We are at odds with the rest of Europe when it comes to car buying, we love 3 box saloons, we love Toyotas, we love underpowered cars, indeed as you know BMW decided that Ireland was special enough to get the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' available with a 1.6 litre engine for its 3 series. We're the only country in the world that got that car.

E92 wrote:
    I dont see why people make such a fuss about speeding here in this country.

It's not so much the speeding as the hitting people :mad: If speeding only affected the prat in the car I'd say "off ye go", unfortunately it affects (and on a regular basis, kills) innocent drivers, pedestrians and bystanders too. So yeah, speeding is something about which a fuss should be made!

I've noticed comparisons made with the French and German drivers...one difference I see straight away between them and Irish drivers is that they have probably been used to motorways and educated correctly when it comes to driving at speed. The Irish are poor educated when it comes to this but not just that, the Irish tend to have a 'ah sure it won't happen to me' attitude. They only seem to think of themselves on the roads.

Advertisement