Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese maple

Options
  • 02-05-2007 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Got myself a japanese maple yesterday - the red variety Acer P... (I forget now). I took a cutting from a branch that was broken. Dipped it in rooting hormone and planted in small pot (3" diameter) with peat moss. Their is a node that is about 1" into soil, placed on window sill in kitchen - which gets the sun in the moring ! Will this grow? Should I cut the stem at the bottom or at the node to encourage rooting?

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Acer Palmatum? Any cutting in a sunny windowsill will be in danger of drying out very quickly, and it will be a bit stressful for it. I would move it out of direct sunlight, and give it some sort of a micro-climate (like putting it under a cut-off clear plastic drink bottle, or into a plastic bag).

No harm in trying, but I doubt you will rear it, its a bit early in the season and anyway I think they are usually grafted. Does it have a heel (the bit of the twig torn off from the bigger branch), or is it just a straight bit of twig. If its the latter I would cut it to a node, if it has a heel, leave it. You could reduce the number of leaves on it too. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Thanks for that,

I have been reading a little on this and have all said same as you. I'll cut it to the node, place it on a table near window, and place clear plastic over it !!

Advertisement