Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Timberlake: Pop Puppet or The Real Deal?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

For a couple of years now Pigheads been embroiled in an argument regarding the the current King of Pop Justin Timberlake.

While I have admitted that hes a decent singer and a great dancer/performer I have always argued that without his team of songwriters and producers(eg Timbaland, Neptunes) he'd be fcuked. My good lady has always argued that he is an extremely talented individual and he is credited with writing and producing most of Justified and FutureSexLoveSounds.

I pooh-poohed these stats claiming that the record company gave him songwriting credits so that people would have more respect for him. Then she sent me a link saying that Justin Timberlake Co-Wrote Where is The Love with the Black Eyed Peas. At this stage I'm getting worried and thinking "I don't believe this, maybe the little fcuker can write" I'm bloody worried at this stage. This morning I read an interview with Macy Gray in the NME gushing about how great Justin was when he stepped in at the last minute to produce her album.

What the fcuks the deal here, have I got this whole Justin thing completely wrong. Is there a chance that he is actually a genius at work. All my instincts tell me this is all Record Company propaganda and he is merely a very marketable modern day Prince wannabe but deep deep down I'm starting to think maybe my better half has a point.

Can somebody put Pigheads poor mind at ease and tell me he's not a Singer/Songwriter/Producer modern day Superstar? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

I think you've collected all the information you need to decide this for yourself, all that remains is for you to bend over and accept the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He'll probably always be ok in my books after that human-beatbox bit Rock Your Body.

That said tho he should by all rights be summarily executed for his role in the crime against humanity that is Nsync's cover of "more than a feeling". I guess we all make mistakes when we are young tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Actually, I always skip the body of your posts and go straight to the last 2-3 lines? :p

Not a fan but JT seems OK by me. He can sing and dance passably which makes him a bit better than the average boy bander.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigman II wrote:
    He'll probably always be ok in my books after that human-beatbox bit Rock Your Body.

That said tho he should by all rights be summarily executed for his role in the crime against humanity that is Nsync's cover of "more than a feeling". I guess we all make mistakes when we are young tho.
    Yeah and that ridiculous frizzy curly hair phase wasn't his best idea either. As you say though, he was young, and in fairness he bagged himself a Britney so what do I know.

Anyway, why would a record company give Justin writing and producing credits. I'm sure theres an angle somewhere and being a cynical fcuker I should be able to find it, but I'm struggling. I need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Anyone can do anything these days if they put there mind to it and taht is all there is to it. While I have no great love of the Timberlake/Neptunes/Black Eyed Peas style of music (another whole thread in my opinion) I would say JT is around long enough to know a thing or two about production. All he has to do is apply what he has seen beforea few times and then he half knows what he is doing. Few more times and he is a genius? EVERYONE is bluffing at some point and anyone who tells you otherwsie is crzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Basically, if he didn't have Timbo backing him up he artistically would be little more then another pop star.He is only alright vocally imo.

kmick wrote:
    Anyone can do anything these days if they put there mind to it and taht is all there is to it. While I have no great love of the Timberlake/Neptunes/Black Eyed Peas style of music (another whole thread in my opinion) I would say JT is around long enough to know a thing or two about production. All he has to do is apply what he has seen beforea few times and then he half knows what he is doing. Few more times and he is a genius? EVERYONE is bluffing at some point and anyone who tells you otherwsie is crzy.
    So the fact that hes named as producer is no big deal really ie he could have twiddled a few knobs here, a few knobs there and got credited as Co-Producer. I'd love to lock him in a room on his own for 6 months and see what he came up with at the end of that period. My guess is the end result would be pretty damn shoddy.

Orizio wrote:
    Basically, if he didn't have Timbo backing him up he artistically would be little more then another pop star.He is only alright vocally imo.
    Thats exactly what my view was but all these latest stories regarding him writing for Madonnas new album and producing Macy Grays new album have got me wondering. Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

will.i.am produced Macy Gray's new album.Or are you talking about the follow up album?:confused:

In fairness, I'm sure he can produce in some capacity.He is pretty experienced.

Orizio wrote:
    will.i.am produced Macy Gray's new album.Or are you talking about the follow up album?:confused:

In fairness, I'm sure he can produce in some capacity.He is pretty experienced.
    Apparently will.i.am was too busy and Timberlake stepped in at the last minute.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/timberlake%20replaces%20william%20for%20macy%20gray_1028303

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I stopped reading when you referred to him as the King of Pop. Sorry, but........ LMAO

He can sing and dance but he is definitely no musical genius that could ever be compared to someone like Michael Jackson.

He also thinks his sh*t don't stink and that he was born famous, as seen by his comments about "being used for ratings at the Grammys".

I stopped reading when you reffered to him as the King of Pop. Sorry, but........ LMAO

He can sing and dance but he is definitely no musical genius that could ever be compared to someone like Michael Jackson.

He also thinks his sh*t don't stink and that he was born famous, as seen by his comments about "being used for ratings at the Grammys".
    Eh but he is the current King of Pop. To deny that is churlish. He's probably the biggest solo artist out there at the moment. Pigheads not saying he's a genius but he is definitely the current King of Pop. He can do no wrong at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

Pighead wrote:
    Thats exactly what my view was but all these latest stories regarding him writing for Madonnas new album and producing Macy Grays new album have got me wondering. Hmmmm
    well he's working with her at the same time as Timbaland and Danja who are established producers. And it's been remarked that Madonna is quite a strong producer too so he might not be having that much influence on the sound/style of the songs in question. I am not a Timberlake fan but I am sure he has some talent. He is however MASSIVELY overrated. His first album in particular is piss poor and he owes a huge amount of his success/exposure to Britney Spears as much as he would hate to admit it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The guy is a joke.
    Absolute no credibility in my book.
    King of Pop ,my hole.
    I wouldnt even classify his music as pop ,it's more hip hop .
    He has a girls voice and his music is overproduced garbage.
    He is also media whore as he will appear almost anywhere to get publicity.
    I cannot understand why anyone would look upon him in a credible music manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The guy is a joke.
    King of Pop ,my hole.
    I wouldnt even classify his music as pop ,it's more hip hop .
    He has a girls voice and his music is overproduced garbage.
    He is also media whore as he will appear almost anywhere to get publicity.
    I cannot understand why anyone would look upon him in a credible music manner.
    Nonsense. If that was the case he'd have released his second album a lot sooner and it would have been a lot more similar to his first. His music is some of the most well produced pop music you'll find and many of his songs are excellently written. He is very far from being a media whore. Throw some examples out if you actually believe that.

How is his music more "hip hop"? It's pop music. It has more in common with blues, funk and dance than it does with hip hop but it's still very much pop music. Damned good pop music at that. I suggest you see him perform with his live band sometime, that may change your tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Lodgepole wrote:
    Nonsense. If that was the case he'd have released his second album a lot sooner and it would have been a lot more similar to his first. His music is some of the most well produced pop music you'll find and many of his songs are excellently written. He is very far from being a media whore. Throw some examples out if you actually believe that.

How is his music more "hip hop"? It's pop music. It has more in common with blues, funk and dance than it does with hip hop but it's still very much pop music. Damned good pop music at that. I suggest you see him perform with his live band sometime, that may change your tune.
    Is that you Justin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭goodfela

King of Pop ,my hole.
    QUOTE]

that's a bit of a contradiction - pop music isn't about credibility. He has great pop tunes and is a great entertainer. He is the King of Pop whether you like to admit it or not - as for whether he writes his own tunes, i have no idea but i think he's a great pop artist...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭crybaby

hes released two albums with some decent singles over the last few years, he gets kudos for not being a complete sell out

i didnt realise he produced though, as far as I know the new album is pretty much Timbaland and Danja Handz produced all the way and if not all of the singles most defintley are and I think those two had a huge hand in shaping how the new album sounds, but that doesnt take too much away from Timberlake, music is a colloborative effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Untill he achieves something greater than what Michael Jackson achieved he will never be the king of pop. i.e. selling 100 million copies of one of his albums; having the 2nd best selling album of all time at the same time you have the 1st; have at least 3 albums debut in the charts at number 1; get five number one hits from one of his albums; Have the largest grossing tour ever, break that record by your next tour and then break that record by your next tour, and hold that record till this date more than 10 years later.

I don't think that title is transferable. As much as I like JT's music, I don't think he's on the same scale as MJ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement