Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Problem!

• 02-05-2007 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Friend of mine just got new pc dell something or other with vista premium installed. He is trying to connect his broadband, Netopia Cayman 3300 series via lan cable but can't get it to connect. He is trying to connect to 192.168.1.254
    but is getting nothing.
    Anyone any ideas.
    Thanks
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

what IP address is he getting?

you can check this by going to control panel> network and sharing center> manage network connections> double click on LAN> click details> IPV4 address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question?
    How can I have an IP? I'm using DHCP & I cannot access anything outside of my domain - due to not being able to access the router

In any case, as far as I can remember - this is blank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Try another lan cable it sounds like its buggered.

Tried cable on other computer works fine.
    Also followed all details on BT's and Eircom's site for configuring router, followed all steps and nothing. It just doesnt detect anything I plug in.
    It seems like a security setting of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Go to Start/Control Panel/Network Connections and see if your network connection is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Try running a cmd window and typing ipconfig and see what you get.

Sorry maybe I should have stated this guy works in IT and has a farily good knowledge so most of the obvious stuff has been tried out.
    Sorry if thats sounds a bit smart but it may save people replying with the obvious check the cable and so on.
    (no offence meant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did the pc come with Mcaffee security center or Norton Internet Security pre-installed?
    If so, uninstall it as they will block all network and internet connections unless they are configured properly. Even when configured properly they cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

It sounds like you both have tried a load of things already then. It might be helpful to everyone if you were to post all the things you've tried and what the results were. Right now it's very difficult for anyone to suggest ideas because we don't know what you've already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

well if the guy know his stuff then he will have checked his ip address. If he is not getting a IP address then its a problem with any or all of:
    the cable
    the modem
    the network card
    the TCP/IP settings in the network card
    anti-virus or firewall software on the PC.

If he does not get an IP from the modem which is the DHCP server for his connection between the PC and the modem then he will obviously not be able to connect the the router.
    If the IP address if blank as you say then he has not set his IP statically and is expecting an IP from the DHCP server (the modem)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

i work in AOL and found alot of the time in Vista peoples routers are not picked up when plugged in because the ethernet cards havnt been installed or havnt been installed properly!maybe ask him to check that out.

Tried all the obvious stuff:
    Checked the cable
    Actually uninstalled Mcaffee (pop ups were head wrecking)
    Disabled firewall and all security settings (may be more security settings ?)

When checking connection in control panel it is showing as not connected (even though it is)
    I think thats about it...
    Sorry If I was a bit vague but didnt want to post a long thread and thought someone might have had the same problem..
    I know 3 people who had the same problem and ended up going back to XP.
    Thanks all for the replies.

Ethernet seems fine.
    Does anybody know of any security settings new to VISTA that disables or prevents access to the NIC
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Did you try the router on another PC? if thats fine then it has to the ethernet card, did you try uninstalling the card?

thanks ,
    I got a loan of a different router gonna try this tonight.
    Thanks for all the replies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Are the lights on the Network port flashing once the cable has been plugged in?

If it's a new PC from Dell, I'm sure they've installed the correct drivers for the card, so I doubt that's the problem.

Have you assigned an IP manually?

Advertisement