Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Htc P3600

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is it possible to upgrade it to Windows Mobile 6.0?

Generally speaking, companies such as HTC do not provide any software to upgrade a WM5 device to WM6.

There are, however, a lot of "custom" rom images knocking around that allow you to upgrade, but come with a mass of disclamers that if you mess it up, you are on your own.

Personally, I wouldn't risk upgrading my WM5 device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

tom dunne wrote:
    Generally speaking, companies such as HTC do not provide any software to upgrade a WM5 device to WM6.

There are, however, a lot of "custom" rom images knocking around that allow you to upgrade, but come with a mass of disclamers that if you mess it up, you are on your own.

Personally, I wouldn't risk upgrading my WM5 device.

They are going to offer WM6 upgrades, just not for all handsets. Though it bodes well for something like the 3600 as the 3300 is on the list.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/news/2007/04/23/HTC-To-Provide-Free-WM6-Upgrades/p1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And I read the complete opposite some time back.:)

Just shows you, don't believe everything you read on the interweb. Now if O2 would only offer an WM6 upgrade for my XDA....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

nearly every phone i look at there is always something missing...

anyway this looks good so i think i'll go with it.

wheres the best place to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

nearly every phone i look at there is always something missing...

anyway this looks good so i think i'll go with it.

wheres the best place to buy?

I am thinking about getting this device myself. lovely specs-3g/hsdpa, wifi, gps, nice form factor.

not completely confident about the qualcomm gps but people say it works ok.

from what i've read there are wm6 upgrades available for a number of existing htc devices as the lads above said but I haven't seen anything specifically about the 3600 unfortunately.

I just wonder if wm6 offers a whole lot more than wm5 tbh anyway. no major advancements as far as I can see, just small changes. I think the next big wm os version is coming out next year though.

as for price the cheapest i've seen is circa 560 on clove and expansys.
    i'm sure there's cheaper-you might let me know if you find it for less than that.

• Advertisement

Yeah i guess we'll have to wait and see...

Plenty off reports of unofficial roms appearing.

ordered it from komplett.ie in the end. More or less the same price.

Yeah i guess we'll have to wait and see...

Plenty off reports of unofficial roms appearing.

ordered it from komplett.ie in the end. More or less the same price.

what network are you going to use it on. given that it has hsdpa three might be an option.

will you let me know what your impression of the device is after using it for a bit-especially the gps.

btw I think you'll have to download a software update to activate the gps on it.
    you can get the official gps-activating software update for the htc 3600 from htc's website afaik.

yip had a quick look at the HTC regarding the updates.

i am actually on meteor so data is a no go...

will let you know how i get on with the GPS & the phone in general.

hi.
    I forgot to ask you- what kind of warranty is on it and
    where can you send the device if you have problems.

do komplett deal with it or do you have to deal with htc directly.

htc afaik are based in slough in the uk aren't they so would you have to send it there if something goes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

looks good mate...give us a mini review!

@mkennedy arent you happy with your blowfish..erm i mean glofish!!
    lol..just kidding, hows that coming on for ya??

most new wm5 devices are getting wm6 upgrade:
    1) most new htc products
    2)palm treo 750v
    3)xten glofish's or glofisii..or glofish....lol..k should stop taking the p*ss!!!

im seriously thinking of getting one of these:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=145682

im seriously thinking of getting one of these:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=145682

yeah that was nearly an impulse buy for me but when i seen the features of the p3600 it won me over.

3g (so benificial to me on meteor :rolleyes: ),
    GPS,
    Bigger screen,
    stylus,
    faster processor (might watch video on it)
    video calls (like i'll ever use it)

but i did like these features on the s710
    WM6,
    cheaper,
    Looks like it would fit in my pocket :-)

how do you know what kinda device I own :p

no, for a gprs device the eten x500 does everything fine...gps phone pda camera fm radio etc.. but i'm just thinking of getting something with 3g.

Lol..sure we had discussion. about it months ago...think you just got it!
    My latest and greatest is the p990i..what a phone!
    Its fast
    Got 3g
    2mp autofocus camera
    One of the fastest web browse i ever seen(opera8)
    Graphics accelerator that makes up for 208mhz processor for video and gaming!
    Wifi,stereo bluetooth
    Qwerty and normal keypad(removable if you want)
    Yes it doesnt have gps..doesnt really bother me!

Have you look at the new toshibas???.

no
    the g900 I think is their latest isn't it.

the specs aren't too appealing to me tbh....21mm thick, 198g, 119 mm long, no gps- not that interested really.

with the eten m900 and htc kaiser due out later in the year it doesn't really compete.

you've used both wm and symbian. how do they compare.
    the main reason I tend to go with the wm os is its expandibility (sp?)-plenty of 3rd party apps to add as much functionality as possible.
    I always feel symbian is a bit more limited-maybe i'm wrong. what do you think.

btw what happened your treo 680 (upto 32gb storage potentially) and your o2 xda mini-s. you've gone thru a fair few phones in the last while it seems. how do you manage it.

yup thats one...its the screen that amazes me!!!

i actually prefer symbian,because i want a phone put first but thats doesnt happen with ppc edition but smartphone is more favourable but thats also has its limitations(no touchscreen etc).

well i thought i give a the treo 650 a bash and my dad had his eyes fondling over the mini s so gave it to him.
    i couldnt use the xda with one hand so it got frustrating after a while but i must say, it was a great device!!

I found with the treo 650 (with 8 gig card) very very unstable,kept rebooting for no apparent reason and once you installed apps etc it got even more unstable.
    Had no wifi which i did miss from the xda.
    BUT.....it was one of the easiest and the most comfortable phones i ever used..the form factor was excellent...and i do miss it!!!
    i was going to get a treo 750 with windows mobile but had no wifi and the screen resolution was dire: 240x240 ( yuk!).

symbian is limited especially p990i (uiq 3.0) but the quality of apps are excellent and you do get a lot with the phone.

all i can say im happy as larry with p990i, have a 4gig pro duo to go with it and i hear 8gig pro duo are coming out and the p990i, apparently theoretically supports up 32gig pro duo(when they come out!!!)
    i admit it..im a pdaphonahlic!!!

damo86 wrote:
    yup thats one...its the screen that amazes me!!!

i actually prefer symbian,because i want a phone put first but thats doesnt happen with ppc edition but smartphone is more favourable but thats also has its limitations(no touchscreen etc).

well i thought i give a the treo 650 a bash and my dad had his eyes fondling over the mini s so gave it to him.
    i couldnt use the xda with one hand so it got frustrating after a while but i must say, it was a great device!!

I found with the treo 650 (with 8 gig card) very very unstable,kept rebooting for no apparent reason and once you installed apps etc it got even more unstable.
    Had no wifi which i did miss from the xda.
    BUT.....it was one of the easiest and the most comfortable phones i ever used..the form factor was excellent...and i do miss it!!!
    i was going to get a treo 750 with windows mobile but had no wifi and the screen resolution was dire: 240x240 ( yuk!).

symbian is limited especially p990i (uiq 3.0) but the quality of apps are excellent and you do get a lot with the phone.

all i can say im happy as larry with p990i, have a 4gig pro duo to go with it and i hear 8gig pro duo are coming out and the p990i, apparently theoretically supports up 32gig pro duo(when they come out!!!)
    i admit it..im a pdaphonahlic!!!

yeah I suppose that's the primary difference. ppcphones are pda-centric which i'm ok with. nokia devices are phone centric-depends on what you want I suppose.

but the lack of touchscreen/underpowered processors on smartphones is something I wouldn't like as well.

8gb sd card,wow
    -where did you get that. was it a dodgy one on ebay-could explain the unstability.
    and where is your treo and the sd card now.

interesting you say your p990i's os is limited-
    can you add things like
    satnav/mp3 player apps/movie-playing apps/ebook readers.
    what can't you add that you could add with wm?

my treo is with my uncle..most of the phones in the family either a "handme down" from me or sourced from me(in house family phone shop i am!)

sold the 8gig on ebay,i got the 8 gig from an america company,it was a transcend one.
    unfortunitely palm os was unstable as it is,old, couldnt multitask and basically palm was trying to keep a 5yr old os alive by constantly modifying it..till it was totally butchered but thats a another story!

i meant that p990i os is limited in availabilty of apps..the catalogue not as good as wm.
    what i have on my p990i now:
    instant messenger app
    divx player (yeah!)
    activesync client for push email(worth 50 but came with it)
    opera mini
    tv streaming app
    internet radio app
    it also comes with quickoffice which have all microsoft office apps.

..oh yeah..tomtom is in the post!!!!

edit:
    8gig sdhc card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208088

lol
    sounds like a gadget-nut family.
    on the other hand I know what it feels like for people around me to totally not get the appeal of gadgetry.
    kinda frustrating.

that 8gb sdhc card for $73 looks like great value but I don't use sd atm unfortunately.

btw are you sure that tomtom version has proper ireland mapping. you'd want to be sure it's navteq unless teleatlas have full mapping by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xboss

There is now an online petition asking HTC to release WM6 for the P3600

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/P3600UpgradetoWM6/index.html

I've signed it, please do the same.

• Advertisement

Done,even though i dont own one!

@mkennedy

It is..isnt it?
    Anyways got the right one.
    If you buy the western europe on a memory card you get navteq maps,if you get the dvd..you get teleatlas!
    Tres confusing!!!
    Lets hope anyways..pricey enough though @ ?159!

The next step now for gps nav in ireland...mapping for mountains etc.they are doing in uk in major regions etc.
    Have a look at:
    Www.viewranger.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Damo86,
    im a bit lost mate, you said you have tom tom in the post? How are you going to use it on your P990i if it doesnt have gps? Or have i missed a trick there????

you connect a non-gps enabled smartphone/pda-phone to a separate gps receiver in your car. you usually do this via bluetooth.

any satnav software/maps that you've installed on your smartphone /pda-phone then avails of this connection to the gps receiver.

mkennedy wrote:
    you connect a non-gps enabled smartphone/pda-phone to a separate gps receiver in your car. you usually do this via bluetooth.

any satnav software/maps that you've installed on your smartphone /pda-phone then avails of this connection to the gps receiver.

-thanks mate for clearing that up.

-no problem, don't mention it.

yup what mr mkennedy said!!

bit confused here now..why has mkennedy thanked himself..lol,must be a database error!

damo86 wrote:
    yup what mr mkennedy said!!

bit confused here now..why has mkennedy thanked himself..lol,must be a database error!

no, its just that the response I gave to the satnav query was unacknowledged- it's just a bit annoying when it's unacknowledged because I'd like to know if the response helped the guy or not :)

anyway I was just expressing this minor annoyance in a mildly sarcastic way in the last post. no offence to anyone intended.

Advertisement