Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Route Maps

• 02-05-2007 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I've seen the odd thread about this topic, but it's beginning to really annoy me, so I'll bring it up again.

Firstly I love public transport, especially when done correct. I don't drive and live out in north Dublin. I commute mainly via Dart but have an annual bus and rail ticket. I rarely use Dublin Bus because I just don't know the routes, which bus to take, where to get off etc.

However, this is not the case when I go traveling. I could be in London, Paris or Berlin, I just jump on a bus can't get lost - why - they have clear maps of the route. For example I was in Berlin over the Christmas. Their city network consists of trams/bus/subway, all interconnected. The bus network is mapped the very same as the subway. You jump on any bus, not only are there clear linear route maps showing every stop, you also get all interconnections. To help, every next stop is announced via scrolling text and audio alert. This is something we need.

Is anyone aware of Dublin Bus revamping their route maps. I've spent 5 minutes drawing up examples, which I'd find very easy to use (the single route would the be linear used on board buses). If Dublin Bus took the time to do this, more people would be able to use their network without relying on Bus drivers calling out stops and providing route information to lost passengers.

complete_route_map.jpg

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They want people to spend money buying the timetables with the maps on them
    it is that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

I mailed DB a few months ago saying just that, basically told them their website wasn't far short of useless if you didn't already know where you were going and where the bus went. I suggested something like this (which is hopeless compared to yours) as part of a page that looks something like this but it turns out they're already working on a new site and I'm assured proper route maps are part and parcel of it.

I'm not holding my breath but I do hope they do a good job of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Over on the Computers forum, they're taking matters into their own hands and creating a Google map of Dublin bus routes.

Not as simple as your solution, but it is a step in the right direction. Can't find the flippin' thread now.

tom dunne wrote:
    Over on the Computers forum, they're taking matters into their own hands and creating a Google map of Dublin bus routes.

Not as simple as your solution, but it is a step in the right direction. Can't find the flippin' thread now.

The thread is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

What is needed is severalfold:

1) Location specific schematic maps - erected at each bus shelter showing buses from each stop in the area (not just that stop) - These would be in the form of the spider maps at each bus shelter as used by Transport for London. These are very clear and show every stop within one mile of the current stop and then major stops thereafter. Why reinvent the wheel - these are exactly what are required.

Examples 1 - Oxford Circus (Major Interchange)
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/oxfordcircusdr-day-2199.pdf

Example 2 - Tufnell Park (Minor Interchange)
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/tufnellpark-10905.pdf

2) Location specific local street maps - These have been rolled out by Dublin Bus over the last couple of years at most bus shelters

3) Full Network Map - The full network map (based on the Ordnance Survey city map), which is excellent, is currently out of print (last issue October 2005), but I'd imagine that it will reappear in the coming months. It is however available in the form of 20 local service guides which can be obtained in DB Head Office.

4) Local Service Guides - These are updated annually and contain the local street map and schedules.

The entire timetable formats need to be reviewed, with accurate route descriptions together with peak and off-peak journey times rather than the existing information which is woefully inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thaedydal wrote:
    They want people to spend money buying the timetables with the maps on them it is that simple.
    They are free from their offices in O'Connell Street. Most newsagents waive the 20c(?) charge.

V true Victor! And they are very handy guides.

I would have to say that the full Dublin Bus network route map is one of the best designed system maps that I have seen - colour coded routes overlaid onto the ordnance survey map, and reasonably priced at EUR 3.

The problems with it are:
    1) It is produced occasionally (last edition in October 2005)
    2) It is only available in head office

A simple colour coded schematic map is still needed for the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And how many people would be in the city centre when those offices are open ?

Thaedydal wrote:
    And how many people would be in the city centre when those offices are open ?

In fairness the offices are open at weekends until 2pm, (including Sundays), so it is not that difficult!

Full opening hours are:
    Monday 0830-1730
    Tuesday-Friday 0900-1730
    Saturday 0900-1400
    Sunday 0930-1400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

KC61 wrote:
    In fairness the offices are open at weekends until 2pm, (including Sundays), so it is not that difficult!

Full opening hours are:
    Monday 0830-1730
    Tuesday-Friday 0900-1730
    Saturday 0900-1400
    Sunday 0930-1400

I dare say that they may send out the wee local maps in the post if asked on the phone, if getting in is an issue to anybody.

• Advertisement

KC61 wrote:

Full opening hours are:
    Monday 0830-1730
    Tuesday-Friday 0900-1730
    Saturday 0900-1400
    Sunday 0930-1400

They're awful opening hours - the weekday hours are effectively useless to the vast majority of people working regular office hours, Saturdays are a joke and I'm not sure they do open on Sundays. Compare that to most other capital cities where they have 18+ hour freephone lines, decent websites and (like you pointed out) decent maps at the stops.

markpb wrote:
    They're awful opening hours - the weekday hours are effectively useless to the vast majority of people working regular office hours, Saturdays are a joke and I'm not sure they do open on Sundays. Compare that to most other capital cities where they have 18+ hour freephone lines, decent websites and (like you pointed out) decent maps at the stops.

The offices are most definitely open on Sundays.

I agree that the information should be available elsewhere, and the weekend hours longer, but it is not as impossible to get into the office as the previous poster had suggested.

KC61 wrote:
    The offices are most definitely open on Sundays.

I agree that the information should be available elsewhere, and the weekend hours longer, but it is not as impossible to get into the office as the previous poster had suggested.

I checked this yesterday (not because I'm a pedant, I happened to be walking past). The sign on the door says the booking office is open for 4.5 hours on Sunday but not the Customer Service or Information Bureau. Lovely attitude that - open to sell tickets to tourists but not to serve existing customers.

Compare that with LA where I can call 1800 Commute any time of the day or night, give an address or landmark anywhere in the 12,000 km2 that LACMTA covers (including several public and private, bus and rail operators) and get detailed, helpful directions. If I go to the website, I can see get directions, see route maps and read proper route changes when diversions are in place.

markpb wrote:
    I checked this yesterday (not because I'm a pedant, I happened to be walking past). The sign on the door says the booking office is open for 4.5 hours on Sunday but not the Customer Service or Information Bureau. Lovely attitude that - open to sell tickets to tourists but not to serve existing customers.

Compare that with LA where I can call 1800 Commute any time of the day or night, give an address or landmark anywhere in the 12,000 km2 that LACMTA covers (including several public and private, bus and rail operators) and get detailed, helpful directions. If I go to the website, I can see get directions, see route maps and read proper route changes when diversions are in place.

True, but you can still pick up timetable leaflets, local service guides, buy a timetable etc. All that is closed is the information desk where you can ask questions. The information line and garages are all operational however for most of Sunday, albeit at the cost of a local call.

I'm not defending DB here - just pointing out that it is possible to get the guides/timetables.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

During the CitySwift era they did try using onboard maps on certain (QBC) routes for a while, the 25A and the 46A (at the time billed as the "Stillorgan Flyer") both had them. The problem was that Dublin Bus lost flexibility over which buses they could roster on which routes because of this, which is part of the reason they abandoned all the sub-brands (other than Airlink) and went for blue-and-yellow all round.

The only thing they could do now is put up (really large) maps of the entire network on board buses.

Advertisement