Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DVR/PVR for me mom.

• 02-05-2007 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

So any recommendations for a DVR for a parent? If something like Tivo was supported here in Ireland I'd get that and if the parents wanted Sky they would have got it years ago so the Sky+ box isnt an option. Something like the Kiss VR-588 would be the ball park but I'm it seems some work better here than others and I'm keen to pick someones brain on this issue.

Please don't suggest a HTPC. I have one myself but I'm not setting one up for the parents who live an 1 hour drive away. Complete box of tricks solution only, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

I got an early Philips PVR / DVD-R for Christmas 2004. It was a LG rebranded as a Philips.

Some General points: The analogue tuner isn't great. The usual suspects on Dublin NTL record poorly (C4, Discovery, I think 'cos they're on the Vhf or UHF band). I'd strongly recommend paying €20-40 extra to get a no-quibble guarantee, rather than getting it cheap on the net and not being able to bring it back 'cos "the picture's a bit wobbly".

The DVD-R is flaky. I had hoped to copy stuff to DVD and watch it in the bedroom or copy family heirloom VHS to DVD, but the list of approved disks is limited. Proceed with caution if you want to record to DVD.

One thing we miss is the ability to save the time-buffer. Sometimes we 'pause live TV' which is cool, but then realise we want to save the pause buffer and watch it later. Our one can't permanently save the time shift buffer. See if you can get one that can.

Most of the manuals can be downloaded as PDFs before you buy. They give a very good indication of how complex the user interface is.

Despite the few small glitches (and we knowingly were early adopters) the general PVR concept is excellent. No more hunting for a blank tape. No losing the tape with the match. No more endless buying tapes and never recycling them: if the disk is full, we force ourselves to delete that 'must watch' programme we recorded a month ago and never got back to watching. We mostly record interesting stuff and watch it later so we can FF over the adds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Just get them Sky+, nothing comes close for ease of use and something goes wrong they have a Sky number they can ring not yours!

Believe me I have been there and nothing betters Sky+!

Remember parents most times hate change, but they will appreciate it when they get used to it!

Advertisement