Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you recommend?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Going for my new car soon. It will be one of 4. Give me your input please. Oh i am leaning towards the Accord at the moment.

What Car Do You Think? 46 votes

Honda Accord 2004 2.0i VTEC (152BHP)
    0% 0 votes
    Audi A4 2002 1.9 TDI (130BHP)
    69% 32 votes
    Saab 9-3 2004 2.0i (150BHP)
    15% 7 votes
    Ford Mondeo 2005 2.0 TDCI (115BHP)
    15% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

logik wrote:
    Going for my new car soon. It will be one of 4. Give me your input please. Oh i am leaning towards the Accord at the moment.

go for the accord i just bought a new s type auto....and its a dream to drive
    build quality is better than toyota! and the seats are more comfortable than toyota!.

its not that bad on petrol......and the auto box is so refined and smooth and its a 5 speed!
    the accord gets excellent reliability reports, and their engines are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,050 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what_car wrote:
    go for the accord i just bought a new s type auto....and its a dream to drive
    build quality is better than toyota! and the seats are more comfortable than toyota!.

its not that bad on petrol......and the auto box is so refined and smooth and its a 5 speed!

no offence but better build quality and comfort than a toyota? sure toyotas and hondas are reliable, if you want build quality and comfort, go bmw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BMW are too common on the roads. They make lovely cars, there is a 530i in the family that i have driven a few times and it is amazing. But i seem to love Honda also and the VTEC engine is amazing.

Oh and i wont be buying an Auto. No control imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Personally I would choose the Accord as I think it's a hugely underrated car. However you have two diesels and two petrols to choose from, whats your mileage going to be like?

Ah one thing, the Saab listed there is the 2.0i one, i have the wrong BHP down for it. It is actually coming in at 175BHP.

Anyway to answer your question. I am currently driving a Mondeo and it is Diesel. I feel i don't need Desiel anymore because my mileage is not alot per yer. Maybe 10000 a year. To work and back and visiting friends etc. Plus i agree with you about the Accord, way way underrated.

Its just a hard decision to make.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    no offence but better build quality and comfort than a toyota? sure toyotas and hondas are reliable, if you want build quality and comfort, go bmw

well u know the ole toyota advertising line

best build cars in the world! not true.......... honda are better build quality...

hondas are equally comfortable as a bmw, and less costly to service!:D

the accord auto has tip tronic and you have control of the gears......... the auto is a fantastic drive....
    quick to take off from the traffic lights too....

logik wrote:
    BMW are too common on the roads. They make lovely cars, there is a 530i in the family that i have driven a few times and it is amazing. But i seem to love Honda also and the VTEC engine is amazing.

Oh and i wont be buying an Auto. No control imo.

em bmw common but you have a mondeo and audi a4 there as choices? the 2.0t saab is a nice car but arent the most reliable in the world, are you buying new?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd have go with the Accord too. Great car. Excellent reliability and it should be easy enough to sell on when the time comes. It's a great car to drive too - 152BHP is ample poke for smooth overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd go for the Honda, your not doing the mileage to justify diesel and the accord is the most comfortable out of your list, they have very good resale value, and the 2.0 VTEC is silky smooth, refined and quiet, esp as an Auto.

Hondas cant be faulted they are seriously great cars.

Cyrus wrote:
    em bmw common but you have a mondeo and audi a4 there as choices? the 2.0t saab is a nice car but arent the most reliable in the world, are you buying new?

Nope, looking at a 04 - 05 model. around the 25000 - 50000 mile range.

• Advertisement

whats the budget, ive a day off i can search some nice cars for ya :D

anywhere between 17000 and 22000.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cyrus wrote:

A bit OTT but my cousin would disagree with you.

He owned two E46s, a saloon and coupe. He now has a Lexus IS200 and rates it to be better put together than the BMWs he had.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

Aye i did hear the Lexus IS200 is an amazing car all round.

BMW are way way overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'm not so sure I would put the Lexus ahead of the BMW in terms of refinement. A friend of mine recently picked a 2004 LS430 e.g. & I felt a little let down when I drove it, I was really looking forward to driving the car.
    However I have a Landcruiser for work and to be honest I could have been sitting in that when I was sitting in the Lexus, the sterering wheel and all the switches were the same, even the dials were identical, well they did light up in a bit more funky way. Aso there was far too many buttons around the place. When I was a young fella all I wanted was for my dad to get a car that had as many buttons as possible but it is just wrong.
    eFor example the were 3 memory buttons for the seats, each memorising the seat position for 3 different users. Then there was the memory save button, all four aere on the drivers door in additon to windows, morror adjust etc, etc. However in a BMW the key actually remembers the settings (correct me if I'm wrong Ned 78) so not need to program, no need to have the buttons.

I thought it a bit much that the flagship Lexus was so similar to what is essentially a work/agricultural vehicle.
    Also the handling was terrible, very wallowy, this is compared to a 730D or my own 525i.
    I did like the ventilated seats though:)

Still not sold on the rebadged, blown up Toyota Corolla though.

bazz26 wrote:
    A bit OTT but my cousin would disagree with you.

He owned two E46s, a saloon and coupe. He now has a Lexus IS200 and rates it to be better put together than the BMWs he had.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

is it the new is200? its supposed to be a big improvement, the old one wasnt great inside, wasnt a fan at all, and the performance wasnt great either, put me off them.

bmws arent overrated at all, a well specced bmw with a nice straight 6 engine is as good as it gots until you hit the really expensive stuff

Cyrus wrote:
    is it the new is200? its supposed to be a big improvement, the old one wasnt great inside, wasnt a fan at all, and the performance wasnt great either, put me off them.

bmws arent overrated at all, a well specced bmw with a nice straight 6 engine is as good as it gots until you hit the really expensive stuff

It was the old IS200 as opposed to the new IS250. Yes the interior of the BMWs had better quality of plastics on the dash but his only had typical Irish poor spec which meant lots of blanked out panels, etc and lots of black.

The BMW 6 cylinder engine is nicer but he bought a NI spec IS200 with almost every extra as standard and overall he is happier with the Lexus package overall.

ah fair enough, if he has a fully specced is and povert spec beemer, the lexus is gonna feel better :)

I'm not so sure I would put the Lexus ahead of the BMW in terms of refinement. A friend of mine recently picked a 2004 LS430 e.g. & I felt a little let down when I drove it, I was really looking forward to driving the car.
    However I have a Landcruiser for work and to be honest I could have been sitting in that when I was sitting in the Lexus, the sterering wheel and all the switches were the same, even the dials were identical, well they did light up in a bit more funky way. Aso there was far too many buttons around the place. When I was a young fella all I wanted was for my dad to get a car that had as many buttons as possible but it is just wrong.
    eFor example the were 3 memory buttons for the seats, each memorising the seat position for 3 different users. Then there was the memory save button, all four aere on the drivers door in additon to windows, morror adjust etc, etc. However in a BMW the key actually remembers the settings (correct me if I'm wrong Ned 78) so not need to program, no need to have the buttons.

I thought it a bit much that the flagship Lexus was so similar to what is essentially a work/agricultural vehicle.
    Also the handling was terrible, very wallowy, this is compared to a 730D or my own 525i.
    I did like the ventilated seats though:)

Still not sold on the rebadged, blown up Toyota Corolla though.

Audi have been doing the same thing for years. Have a look at some of the switch gear in one and then sit in a Skoda and it will feel familiar. Same goes with the Golf and A3 but it doesn't bother alot of people.

BTW my cousin's IS200 has different memory settings for the seats, steering wheel and mirror positioning via the key.

Anyway this thread has gone way OTT.

Of the cars mentioned above I would probably choose the Accord too as I had one many years ago and loved it.

Cyrus wrote:
    ah fair enough, if he has a fully specced is and povert spec beemer, the lexus is gonna feel better :)

Well everyone will have a difference of opinion as they look for different things from their cars. If we all thought the same then this motoring forum would be very boring. :(

• Advertisement

exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

honda accord without a doubt - if I could afford one........:(
    what about this one - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=639674

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

well thanks to the guys (an gals) here on boards, i pick out an accord and ive put a deposit down on one. Such a great car.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53047213#post53047213

check this thread for comments about it.

land9 wrote:
    honda accord without a doubt - if I could afford one........:(
    what about this one - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=639674

Miles are a little high and i don't like the 3 owners either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cyrus wrote:
    if you want build quality .. go bmw
    Spot who hasn't been in the current Accord.

The build quality is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

JHMEG wrote:

I agree, all the switchs and buttons are solid, the dash is nice, unlike the dull plastic of some bmws, and the heated leather seats are some of the most comfortable to sit in. It actually was the seats the sold the car for me, 20mins after sittin in em, i was handing over my credit card for a deposit.

Go Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

logik wrote:
    Miles are a little high and i don't like the 3 owners either.
    I've driven that car (I work there) and it feels as tight as any pre-reg accord in stock.
    High mileage and honda's aren't necessarily a bad combination!

JHMEG wrote:

ah c'mon its a feckin honda saloon, a mondeo rival, decent car but doesnt excite me in the slightest, do they do a type r any more? im sure the build quality is fine but it doesnt look like a bmw rival to me

deignanAccRoy752.jpg

well thanks to the guys (an gals) here on boards, i pick out an accord and ive put a deposit down on one. Such a great car.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53047213#post53047213

check this thread for comments about it.

cool did ya go petrol or diesel?

i have my new accord a week nearly now and love it.. its so quiet and smooth (auto)... S type..
    on my first tank of fuel i averaged 31mpg over the tank,.,. that included a good bit of town driving... its a lovely motor to drive...

one thing that i noticed is that my accord was made in Japan! i thought that
    they were built somewhere in europe? anyways,,, the build quality is superb!
    the car is so solid...compared to my last car ( avensis diesel had a few rattles in the dash but was ok... honda is put together better)

will my fuel consumption improve as i put miles on the car?

anyways good choice...enjoy!

• Advertisement

what_car wrote:
    cool did ya go petrol or diesel?

i have my new accord a week nearly now and love it.. its so quiet and smooth (auto)... S type..
    on my first tank of fuel i averaged 31mpg over the tank,.,. that included a good bit of town driving... its a lovely motor to drive...

one thing that i noticed is that my accord was made in Japan! i thought that
    they were built somewhere in europe? anyways,,, the build quality is superb!
    the car is so solid...compared to my last car ( avensis diesel had a few rattles in the dash but was ok... honda is put together better)

will my fuel consumption improve as i put miles on the car?

anyways good choice...enjoy!

The Honda Accord sold in Europe has been built in the UK since 1993 along side the Civic hatchback, CR-V and Jazz afaik. The Accord sold in Japan and USA look totally different to the Europe model.

Advertisement