Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Tucson ?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

So...the lease on my BMW 320D is up in a couple of months, and I'm looking for a new motor. We've another baby due at the end of July, so I'm thinking some kind of SUV type thingy that will comfortably seat a family of five. (I will NOT be getting an MPV - end of story ! :D )

I don't want to spend a fortune on a brand new Landcruiser, Volvo or similar high end SUV - I'm thinking 20 - 25 k or thereabouts for a 2 to 4 year old in good nick, and it appears the Hyundai Tucson would fit this bracket.

I drove a Tucson in France for two weeks last year and was quite impressed. Anybody here have any experience with them ? Are they reliable ?

From what I've seen they don't hang on to their value very well, but I don't mind that too much - I'll probably have this one for a few years.

Failing a Tucson, is there anything else around that price bracket in the SUV arena anyone would recommend ? Something comfortable and roomy, petrol or diesel - doesn't matter.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Parents had on for the last 2 years and I've driven it loads of times. It was a 2.0 petrol 2WD. 100% reliable not 1 issue in the 2 years.

The 2WD diesel is the best bet as the petrol unit is a bit underpowered and lacking in torque. The diesel engine is a lot better. Interior is a bit plasticy but well put together and hard wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Alot were sold without a/c, if that is a concern for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Hey Shiva, The Tuscons are decent enough. My uncle bought 1 the first year they came out, 2005 or was 2004, anyway he was happy with it, and got an 2007 one at the start of the year. He gets the top models, the 2007 model has 130/140bhp and a 6speed box. His has the 4wd aswell and tows the odd trailer now and then, we`ve a Landcruiser for the real work :)
    His new one has air con and the interior is a nice black compared with the boring grey that was in his 1st one. The only problem he had with them so far was a little problem with the clutch cyclinder that was a bit of an issue when they first came out but that was fixed very promptly at the time on warranty obviously. This problem doesnt seem to affect the new models at all.

Over all, they`re a nice enough suv, nice extras and nice seats, etc. Decent engines and they look well with the bullbars, steps roofracks, etc.

My uncle has bought Toyotas this past 20years and was hesitant about getting a Hyundai but he never has anything bad to say about it and hes a fussy fooker. I think the windows tend to fog up a bit, but hardly a major thing and could be personal reason. He buys new and keeps a car maximum of 3yrs so there still in warranty when he owns them so isnt too bothered with reliability. Im not sure what they`re like a few years old but i`d imagine they`re similar to santa fe`s reliability, etc..

If you want me to ask him any questions about it for ya i will

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

go for a diesel. and of the diesels, the 6 speed 130bhp that came out in early 06 is the best,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at the Kia Sportage also, it is basically a Hyundai Tucson with a different badge:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=642466

I would consider the new model Suzuki Grand Vitara also as an alternative:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=502940

by the way, those smaller jeeps may not comfortably seat a family of 5. rear seat room is quite narrow on Rav4, Sportage, Tucson. Vitara. Try them for size first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Thanks for the advice guys.

Judging from the reliability comments and my 2 week experience, I think the Tucson is the way to go. The two kids are only 5, so it should be spacious enough for the next few years.

Time to go test drive a few and see what I can find.

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

another one you may not have thought of, and I hadn't even heard of it 'til last Thursday - a Kia Carnival.

We were in Germany, and need a 7 seater rent-a-car from Munich airport, and that's what we got. Wow, bloody hell - if my wife had seen/driven one of them before we bought the 07 Galaxy a month ago, the Ford wouldn't have got a look in. Car we had had full leather, 7 seats, climate, diesel and auto/tiptronic. Separate climate control for front & rear too. We travelled for over an hour in the small hours at speeds in excess of 160km/h, and it was.........well bloody impressive. Quiet, smooth, no wind noise.

Damn weird.

I think you owe it to yourself to at least sit in one, and I'm all for anyone who'll give a 3/4/5/7 year guarantee.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote:

That appears to be a 130bhp model too.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

i got a toucon silver 2.0 diesel 05 c i got it for the wife shes drives about 120 mls a day and she loves it theres good room in the back for two adults and its a nice one two drive. the boot is a bit small though anywaythat my two cents .... oh and check about the transmission gearbox the garage i bought it off told me theres a recall on them so check the year/model/ and warrenty

7 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    7 months!

Wont somebody please think of the children. :D

Either way. get an Octavia. Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooge boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

.... later and no news as to what happened??

Edit: That was supposed to be after Colms post, obviously not a fast enough typer:D

.... later and no news as to what happened??

The sister dies in the end.

A resurrection Jesus would be proud of. All in time for Christmas too.

From shock when they bought the octavia:p

Edit: Yet again, not a fast enough typer. On the way for lessons..:D

you're not very good at this Limerick-man!

Lock thread please ;)

From shock when they bought the octavia:p

Edit: Yet again, not a fast enough typer. On the way for lessons..:D

Best not to bother trying, save yourself the embarassment. :)

• Advertisement

NO, and afraid to post again incase it happens again...:D

Edit: *cough*

NO, and afraid to post again incase it happens again...:D

Edit: *cough*

Thsi just isnt your night. :D

Haha, it's not, i think i'll end it:D

Advertisement