Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone number problem

• 02-05-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

A little background first. My mobile number is 08?-AAA-???? where AAA is the same number repeated three times. My problem is that i seem to get a lot of wrong numbers and i think i've figured out why. If somebody tries to dial 08?-AA-????? but presses the repeated number three times instead of two they get through to me e.g. if the try to dial 087 99 12345 but dial 087 999 12345 they get through to 087 999 1234 as it seems to ignore everythign after the correct number of digits. Hopefully that makes sense. Not quite sure I've explained it very well. Anyway, does anybody know if there is anything i can do about this short of changing my number which I dont want to do because I've had it about 8 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Beano wrote:
    A little background first. My mobile number is 08?-AAA-???? where AAA is the same number repeated three times. My problem is that i seem to get a lot of wrong numbers and i think i've figured out why. If somebody tries to dial 08?-AA-????? but presses the repeated number three times instead of two they get through to me e.g. if the try to dial 087 99 12345 but dial 087 999 12345 they get through to 087 999 1234 as it seems to ignore everythign after the correct number of digits. Hopefully that makes sense. Not quite sure I've explained it very well. Anyway, does anybody know if there is anything i can do about this short of changing my number which I dont want to do because I've had it about 8 years.

Yeah you are right, i have 086-XXXXXX4 (x = same number)
    I usually get calls and 1 is really annoying as she rings from a private number and when i answer she says hi dad, ive told here 100 times that im not your dad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

so there's nothing you can do about it?

Beano wrote:
    so there's nothing you can do about it?

I dont think so, its there stupid mistake that they cant enter a number right.Just give out to them the next time

I'm sick of giving out to them. One fella even got thick with me, insisting that I was wrong and that he had dialled the correct number.

Beano wrote:
    I'm sick of giving out to them. One fella even got thick with me, insisting that I was wrong and that he had dialled the correct number.

:D:D , next time tell him to F off

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    :D:D , next time tell him to F off

I did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

@drdre

you should play along with them for the laugh :D

( . )( . ) wrote:
    @drdre

you should play along with them for the laugh :D

She realises herself that she has the wrong number.But then she rings back afew days later :(

Its really anooying as i hate private numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

When i first got my NTL account in the UK, they gave me someone elses number! I had his girlfriend in tears because she thought i was him messing around! She wouldnt believe i was not her boyfriend and kept calling!

Guys you think this is bad my fathers business number 1890 471111 and dumb people call 8904711 instead and thats some old couple that gets calls all night for food.Because my fathers in the restaurant and takeaway business he cant changed the number as everyone knows it now and menus are printed. These people have got calls since the past 2 years, now are fed up but eircom wont give them a new number for some reason. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

1 is really annoying as she rings from a private number and when i answer she says hi dad, ive told here 100 times that im not your dad :)[/QUOTE]

Dont answer private calls.. i stopped some time ago.. I always think...Who do they think they are? :D

JohnnieM wrote:
    Dont answer private calls.. i stopped some time ago.. I always think...Who do they think they are? :D[/quote]

Yeah i have kind of stopped answering private number calls as i hate them now :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do people not use the phone book on their mobile. The only numbers I dial on the keypad are ones that aren't in my phonebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Beano wrote:

Yes this is quite logical, since if your number is seven digits long, and the person enters eight digits with eg the middle one wrong, how is the network supposed to know what digit to omit in the middle and how is it going to know that the last one should be included instead. Sorry about all the troubles though.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In common with the fixed line network, mobile networks generally don't care as long as the first block of digits sent match a real number. If you add extra digits, it just ignores them.

e.g. 01 222 2222 123948549403903 will connect to 01 222 2222

Some VoIP phone services, like Blueface, can get picky if you dial an extra digit before the call connects and will return an invalid no. tone/message.

The PSTN (eircom etc) has no need for a send button / or a delay. Your local exchange knows every valid number format in the country (and many abroad too) So, the instant it has enough digits to know where to route the call, it connects. Anything else you dial is ignored.

Also, if you dial a code or partial number that doesn't exist, it'll give you an announcement / tone before you even finish dialling.

It's fairly sophisticated.

Solair wrote:
    In common with the fixed line network, mobile networks generally don't care as long as the first block of digits sent match a real number.

e.g. 01 222 2222 123948549403903 will connect to 01 222 2222

Some VoIP phone services, like Blueface, can get picky if you dial an extra digit before the call connects and will return an invalid no. tone/message.

The PSTN (eircom etc) has no need for a send button / or a delay. It knows every valid number in the country (and many abroad too) So, the instant it has enough digits to know where to route the call, it connects. Anything else you dial is ignored.

Yes this is the problem

Advertisement