Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Distribution :Blot on the landscape?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Does anybody else think that new Tesco Distribution Warehouse is a blot on the lansdscape? It is silver and you can see the damm thing from everywhere, I was coming down from the Man O War the other evening with my father in law and with the sun shining on it he actually thought it was the Broadmeadow estuary(its that damm big). If you are over in Malahide you can see it from the Seabury area.

If Joe Sixpack wants to build a dog kennel in the North County he has to tick all the boxes and build it so as it 'blends' in ,so why didn't Tesco have to do the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

And don't even mention their bloody roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Think you'd have to make an effort to look for it from both those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AFAIK that land was zoned for industrial use. The TEAM Aer Lingus/FLS building (or whatever it's called now) is much worse. It can be seen from almost anywhere in Fingal. At least the Tesco RDA is relatively low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Fingalian wrote:
    Does anybody else think that new Tesco Distribution Warehouse is a blot on the lansdscape?
    No worse than the 1000s of housing which has popped up over the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Suppose I'll just have to get use to it, pity they didn't use green cladding though. Whats the story with the rumours about a big housing development going in between Rush and Lusk anybody know anything about that ?

• Advertisement

Fingalian wrote:
    Whats the story with the rumours about a big housing development going in between Rush and Lusk anybody know anything about that ?

Yeah, I've been hearing a few stories about that alright...but nothing concrete! Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

catch--22 wrote:
    Yeah, I've been hearing a few stories about that alright...but nothing concrete!

Maybe they'll be timberfamed so, or even environmentally friendly log cabins ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Buck Mulligan

Great job by the council boys on the Tesco Roundabout. Going north - 2 Lanes into the roundabout - 1 Lane out - Lethal or wha ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Great job by the council boys on the Tesco Roundabout. Going north - 2 Lanes into the roundabout - 1 Lane out - Lethal or wha ?
    Absolutely ... what's the deal with the big concrete Kerb that stretches out from the Roundabout? ... If you're on the right-side lane going into it, one of your wheels will be on it and the other one off. Surely a recipe for disaster!

I wonder will the boyous in the council indemnify us against any accidents caused by the poor design of this balls of a traffic obstruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Two lanes went into one here at the old road layout, the differences are only minor.

How do you know the left lane isn't going to be first exit only?

A lot of huffing and puffing about nothing to be honest.

No road markings nor signage approaching Tesco roundabout. The old road was straight. You can't assume that drivers remember what way the old road worked before the roundabout was built. The 'minor' difference is a roundabout where there was none before. Nobody knows that the left lane can exit first as there are no markings nor signage. In fact, most drivers do go straight ahead and the right hand lane has to mount the roundabout to avoid a collision! To build a roundabout where a road narrows into one lane, not to provide any signage nor lane markings nor increasing the general ambient lighting in the area at night to highlight the 'conflict area' is madness and will lead to accidents. Who designed this wonderful example of "Road Engineering" - a P45 is required !

most drivers do go straight ahead and the right hand lane has to mount the roundabout to avoid a collision!
    The lanes are in place this evening and there is plenty of room for two cars to go around side by side without mounting the concrete piece. Perhaps it was put in place to allow extra space for artics entering/exiting Tesco's or the Batter Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Am I the only person who thinks this place is actually a good thing because of the jobs???? Just wondering -

wow sierra wrote:
    Am I the only person who thinks this place is actually a good thing because of the jobs???? Just wondering -

I think the OP's gripe wasn't with the fact that they are there but that it's a very large and unsightly building!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ghupta Yahd

That roundabout is a joke, is it finished ?

It's good to get the employment into the area. The building is a bit of an eye sore but I suppose it needs to be that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That roundabout is a joke, is it finished ?

It's good to get the employment into the area. The building is a bit of an eye sore but I suppose it needs to be that size.
    True on all counts.

- Is the Roundabout really finished? I hope not
    - It is good to get the employment in the area? Yes.
    - Is it an eyesore? Yes. Why does it have to be so ugly - there are a couple of large warehouses next to it that us some Green cladding or something to deaden the visual impact on it's surroundings.

However, Tesco being Tesco and Fingal Co. Co. being Fingal Co. Co I reckon that's how it's going to stay and we'll just have to lump it.

I see that the original owners (Butterly's) farmstead is still there beside the Tesco leviathan. I wonder is anyone living there? :)

Advertisement