Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition

Options
  • 02-05-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

while out shooting with a friend last nite he said while looking at some sites yesterday he came across a .22 crimped round . he said it was like a shotgun round but for the .22 ???? he thinks it was for rats/vermin at close range .... anyone know of these ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yeah a farmer i shoot for has a bunch of them and a very old .22 shoots rats around his grain machines at close range and i mean close range.

Its a crimped .22wmr case i guess theres shotshell in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

where did he get them ??? anyone know dealers selling them ???

Ger Smith in Kilkenny dunno if he's still selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I've heard of that, it's supposed to be shot in a .22 case. Effective range is very short, it's meant for indoor use against rodents. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

In my experience, effective range is somewhat less than point blank. At 3 meters, the pellets struggle to penetrate 10 sheets of newspaper.

• Advertisement

Yeah its pretty rubbish stuff 22 shorts might be a better option

CCi manufactures some of the stuff slightly more elegant than a crimped .22wmr case http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Wasting your time shooting over 10ft with the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

its called shot shell, rat shot or bird shot

federal? do the crimped and ccl do the same thing in plastic caps on .22 rounds

where abouts are you?

im in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

ion that case so murrays in cork might not be that far out of your way?

Just about three hours :rolleyes:

Gene Murphy probably has a box or two i'll check next time im at the RFD in kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

maglite wrote:
    its called shot shell, rat shot or bird shot

Also called Gardners Bullets, or snake shot.
    They arent bad for rats and birds in sheds where you dont want to do damage to the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Better off getting 22 Flobert ammo.It looks like a primer with a roundball on top.It is more effective than rat shot.

maglite wrote:
    ion that case so murrays in cork might not be that far out of your way?

yeah just a little to far ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi hunter
    got a box of that ammo here ,it,s federal they call it .22 long rifle bird shot,
    it,s got no 12 shot,great for very close range rats in buildings (10-12 ft).
    main advantage over a single bullet is u can take a running target,it,s like using a mini shotgun.I use open sights on an old .22.one word of warning if u,ve got a mod fitted then make sure to take it off while shooting this ammo.
    griffin hawe in athy stock it

where are you marlin ??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

I,m in offaly hunter but not too far from athy, I guess griffin hawe might be a bit far for u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

im just outside mullingar, i got them today in the gun shop in ballymahon, they are really weak rounds aftre 10 or 12 ft .

pm. wrote:
    im just outside mullingar, i got them today in the gun shop in ballymahon, they are really weak rounds aftre 10 or 12 ft .

yeah i heard they are for close range .. we just wanted to try them (for the craic) :)

Advertisement