Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladybird vs Greenfly

Options
  • 02-05-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I've just noticed a greenfly infestation in my garden. Lots of eggs and lots of greenflies themselves. I tried spraying them with washing up liquid, but this damaged some leaves and flowers, so I'm looking for the natural solution.

I know ladybirds love eating greeflies. So how do I attract them in to my garden? Can I buy ladybirds in Ireland? i know you can in the UK and US. How quickly can I get them to wander in to my garden and gorge themselves on the feast in waiting.

Advice and tips appreciated.

Kind Regards,

AlanD

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Not sure how to attract them, but I know there is always tonnes in my garden during the Summer. Maybe certain types of bushs or trees help?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Attract ladybirds to your garden by planting pollen rich plants such as angelica, dill, parsley, caraway, catnip, lemon balm and thyme to supplement their diets when food is scarce, and to entice them to your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

6th wrote:
    Attract ladybirds to your garden by planting pollen rich plants such as angelica, dill, parsley, caraway, catnip, lemon balm and thyme to supplement their diets when food is scarce, and to entice them to your garden.

strangely enough, I've just planted some dill!

any other tips on how to get rid of the greenfly?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This place has stuff for sale that attracts ladybirds > http://www.ecoshop.ie/products.asp?cat=141&pg=2.

Bear in mind too that some birds will, in turn, eat the ladybirds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've noticed you can buy ladybirds from mr middleton (when I was ordering my nemaslugs:D ).
    I just checked and they're out of stock til 20th May. Convincing them to stay is another matter though all the above suggestions should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Good call.....I'll give them a go.

Advertisement