Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol fumes inside car - Opel Astra '96

Options
  • 02-05-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Gettin petrol fumes inside car, quite annoying. Checked fuel pump which is under the back seat and tightened bolts but it seems to be ok. Could seal be broken?

Seems to be coming in throught he vents but maybe i am mistaken.

Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

Take it to a garage? You're not replacing a broken bulb here.

If there's petrols fumes getting into the cab of the car, there could be carbon monoxide leaking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

could be the seals in the boot that are shot (had that problem before).
    Bring it to a garage though, safer that way ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Is it all the time or just when you are reversing? Might seem like a silly question but sometimes i used to get fumes in my car when i reversed purely because i was reversing into the fumes... If its all the time its probably a different ball game, maybe a rust hole letting in the fumes?

Fumes Head

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

its all the time. i will prob. bring to garage but i just wanted to know if this is a standard problem with astras and if someone has come across it before. i wonder if a fuel hose in engine close to vents is leaking or something like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Yeah i suppose its more likely to be from the engine than the exhaust or under the car. Does it cause your petrol to drain away faster than usual or anything like that? Im just trying to think up some "eliminating" questions ro rule out various things... I wouldnt say its a standard problem, when you consider that people use exhaust fumes to end their lives its definitely not something that should be happening. A good idea to go to a garage i would say...

Eliminator Head

• Advertisement

well, i def. dont want to end my life!

I havent had problem long enuff to notice if im losin fuel or not yet.

i might check this evening by turning on engine and then squeezing hoses to see if there is a leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

its all the time. i will prob. bring to garage but i just wanted to know if this is a standard problem with astras and if someone has come across it before. i wonder if a fuel hose in engine close to vents is leaking or something like that....

Most probable cause is a hole in your exhaust or it's not sealed correctly where the exhaust connects up. I broke my exhaust clean off just before the back box a while back. I could smell fumes in my car while waiting for it to be fixed.

Your exhaust noisey at all?

small bit, but i got a new back box recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Prolly ain't a hole then, but get under it and check to see where it connects up and the screws are tight. Most standard exhausts come in a 3 peices.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The fuel pump and the water pump were well known weaknesses in the MkI Opel Astra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

1996 Astra = Mk3, still that sounds fierce dodgy, drive with all the windows open, sunroof etc until you can get it to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1996 Astra = Mk3, still that sounds fierce dodgy, drive with all the windows open, sunroof etc until you can get it to a garage.

A bit OT but the 1991 - 1998 Opel Astra is the MkI. Opel had the Kadette before that.

1991 - 1998 Vauhall Astra (same car as Opel) is the MkIII as they used the Astra name well before Opel switched over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Check the rubber seal on your petrol cap is sitting correctly. One of the lads in work could smell petrol in his 99 astra and this was the problem. i know its a different model but worth a look.

Advertisement